Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2647389)   #1
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT World Championship disappointed at Gold Coast snub

FIA GT1 World Championship promoter Stephane Ratel has expressed his disappointment at not gaining a berth on the Gold Coast Street Race card. Speaking on Tuesday night's edition of the C31 Melbourne television show "In Pit Lane" Mr Ratel said that Australia had always been an important part in his plans for the World Championship and he was disappointed that his proposal to be a part of the Gold Coast event had been refused.
Mr Ratel went on to say that he and the FIA would have had no problems sharing the bill with V8 Supercars.
He said that he hoped one day common sense would prevail and the series would be invited.
The short interview will be seen Tuesday night on In Pit Lane and the full 15 minutes will be posted to the In Pit Lane YouTube channel and Podcast Wednesday.
More details here
Old 8 Mar 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2647657)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Shame that they're not coming for sure - would have been pretty good around Surfers.

I'd hardly call it a "Snub" though - just a decision to not go ahead with the proposal put forward by Ratel.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2647668)   #3
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can you imagine Ratel and Cochrane sharing the limelight together
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2647830)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Can you imagine Ratel and Cochrane sharing the limelight together
That's rather hard to imagine.

We really need an big sportscar race in Australia, we have everything else, its a massive shame that FIA GT won't race at the Gold Coast, a double header with the V8s would be really good, now we can only hope that a race takes place at Phillip Island or Eastern Creek, whether it be FIA GT or maybe a round of the Asian Le Mans Series.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2647839)   #5
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm wouldnt it be awesome to see a twice around the clock FIA GT event at Bathurst. Ahh I can remember the sleep depravation well . Such a shame that the Procar event went under if Ross Palmer could have held on for another couple of years I think the opportunities could have been endless.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 00:41 (Ref:2647845)   #6
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, That was the information I received late last year...It is such a shame. You could live with it if SuperGP had a reasonable replacement but what they have come up with is a shadow of what this could have been.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2647852)   #7
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eastern Creek tried for this race as I recall but couldn't get the required government support because the stupid NSW government was too busy throwing coin at Cochrane for Homebush.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2647815)   #8
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So someone else asked me in another thread why I agreed with another poster that wants V8 Supercars to collapse.

This is your answer.

I hope Ratel pursues the event in NSW instead.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2647870)   #9
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any ideas why PI is not level 2, it seems ok with the Moto GP & Superbike guys?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2647875)   #10
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
I thought PI was Level 2-guess I was wrong.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2647898)   #11
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
I believe it has to do with spectator catch fencing and run off areas. If they modify it the bikes wont run, also the view for spectators is ruined by all that fencing.
It was one of the things at Hampton Downs unless you got right up high you watched everything through thick catch fencing.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2650015)   #12
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I believe it has to do with spectator catch fencing and run off areas. If they modify it the bikes wont run, also the view for spectators is ruined by all that fencing.
It was one of the things at Hampton Downs unless you got right up high you watched everything through thick catch fencing.
Sounds like the Gold Coast Track - catch fencing followed by catch fencing and yet more catch fencing. If i wanted to watch it on big screens I would just stay at home. Oh thats right I am now that the Legends wont be there again. More value for money at home - pass me another beer dear.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2647881)   #13
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cost for bringing FIAGT to Eastern Creek (the only circuit in Australia outside Albert Park with suitable homologation) was going to be $5mill to the NSW government.As much as I would love to see this event I could not see it bringing a return on this type of money and suggest it would be cheaper to give everyone who would have gone an all expenses paid trip to the Spa 24 Hours.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 02:03 (Ref:2647888)   #14
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have gone, you may send my tickets to PO BOx.......
Old 9 Mar 2010, 03:34 (Ref:2647903)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suspect it's mainly the debris fencing that's the issue. Aside from Turn 1 needing a solid barrier, so cars can't shoot across from Turn 1 to the run from Turn 2 to Turn 3, the run-offs are just fine.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2647905)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would have been a good adition on the card for the event.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:12 (Ref:2647932)   #17
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they worried about inviting another class to the Gold Coast because of the of what happened with the A1. Even though the FIA Gt is a more financial product.

Does the government want to avoid the backlash from last year.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2647941)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the most worrying part of this whole thing is that with viable international motorsport options, the Queensland Government opted for a bunch of foreign has been's driving around in unfamiliar v8's as a drawcard

Speak about backlash
Old 9 Mar 2010, 07:24 (Ref:2647951)   #19
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep. I rekon this event needs to be a MAJOR event to remain viable.. Without a recognised international series on the drawcard, it's no MAJOR event, and will wither and die... Putting has beens, not so has beens and whoever else is international and is available at the time into the V8's is hardly a compromise. Most at the circuit wont have a clue who is driving what and when!!... Why are they like this??? A very good option available and all!!!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2647968)   #20
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't you worry about that now! (Geez where have I heard that before? Wasn't it another dictator.) It will be an event alright, unfortunately the motor race may be the secondary attraction.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:44 (Ref:2647980)   #21
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In regard to major motorsport (or related) events held in or near to the capital cities, we have Clipsal in Adelaide, the GP in Melbourne, Homebush V8SC in Sydney and the Red Bull air race in Perth. I cannot see any of those states being in a position to take on a second annual motorsport category/event, so that leaves Queensland, and the Gold Coast. Anna Bligh and her cohorts are under a bit of pressure at the moment to get the Gold Coast event sorted out. I am wondering whether or not Ratel has had contact with the Qld govt. I would have thought that FIAGT1 ticked all their boxes for an overseas world champ category to run with the V8s.
Have V8SC been given the right of control of the event yet?
I can't see the bogan hordes that turn up at the annual beerfest at Surfers Paradise coming to grips with Aston Martins, Corvettes, Maseratis etc.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2648006)   #22
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Have V8SC been given the right of control of the event yet?
[/QUOTE]

yep they have,
Old 9 Mar 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2648123)   #23
inpitlane
Veteran

The first part of the full interview with Stephane Ratel is now on the In Pit Lane YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/inpitlane
The second half is uploading right now.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2648165)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we know what the basis of the 'offer' was? The extremes being either 'please let us come and play on your circuit, we'll pay' through to 'we have a wonderful series we'd like to let you give us lots of money to host'. The suggestion of $5m for Eastern Ceek points more to the latter and would be more in keeping with the promotor, but I'm speaking without any knowledge of the facts so I won't speculate. Curious if anyone does know the facts.

Actually, rereading the Barbagello/QR discussions, do facts really matter? They only get in the way of the discussion
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:10 (Ref:2652383)   #25
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit I am very disappointed - Watching a bunch of 'stars' from other categories co-drive in the same cars we can see at any other circuit in Australia is of no real interest to me & this event has now definitely become a TV only event for me despite being my local round.

I would absolutely have gone to see the GT2 / GT3 cars though and from a economic point of view the class certainly draws a good socio economic group of competitors & followers. I'm sure the benefits, both immediate & ongoing, would have been far greater with this class added to the mix than what is currently planned.

This event has been plagued by incredibly bad management almost from the start & is a perfect example of why we do need competent, inbiased professional management running it. Politician's should stick to kissing babies & putting taxes / rates up whilst giving themselves unrealistic & totally unwarranted massive pay rises (that's what they seem to be good at anyway !!!) & leave sports event management to the professional's.

By the way, has everyone registered on the 'place to race' petition re replacing some of the circuit's that have and are currently being closed in SE Queensland ? We need everyone's support here too..... If you havnt yet registered go to www.placetorace.com.au & register now - THANX