Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2724735)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[V8SC10R17] L&H500, Phillip Island

The first of the enduros are upon us, some 9 weeks away, and the sport will be a hive of activity in the international sport-induced break

New chassis are being built, old ones refined, engine updates, new sponsors are brought aboard, pilots are re-evaluated for next season & beyond (and maybe even after the enduros)

So, what does the line up look like?

#RECCarEnginePreparerSponsorModelDriverL&H 500 Co-Driver
1888888KRE888VodafoneCommodoreJ.WhincupS.Owen
2WPHRTWPWPTollCommodoreG.TanderC.McConville
3TDRWPWPTDRCentaurCommodoreT.D’AlbertoS.Price
4SBRSBRSBRSBRIrwin ToolsFalconA.DavisonD.Brabham
5FPRFPRFPRFPROrrconFalconM.WinterbottomL.Youlden
6FPRFPRFPRFPRDunlopFalconS.Richards J.Moffat
7KRKRKRKRJack DanielsCommodoreT.KellyG.Seton
8BJRWPNESBJRBOCCommodoreJ.RichardsA.Jones
9SBRSBRSBRSBRSP ToolsFalconS.van GisbergenJ.McIntyre
10WPWPWPWPBundaberg RumCommodoreA.ThompsonN.Percat
11PEKRKRKRRock EnergyCommodoreJ.BargwannaTBC
12FFF888KREFFFBMCFalconD.FioreM.Patrizi
14BJRWPNESBJRTrading PostCommodoreJ.BrightM.Halliday
15KRKRKRKRJack DanielsCommodoreR.KellyO.Kelly
16PEKRKRKRStratcoCommodoreT.RicciardelloTBC
17DJR888DJRDJRJim BeamFalconS.JohnsonW.Luff
18DJR888DJRDJRJim BeamFalconJ.CourtneyM.Marshall
19Tekno888DJRDJRMotherFalconJ.WebbD.Russell
21BritekWPNESBJRFair Dinkum ShedsCommodoreK.ReindlerD.Wall
22WPHRTWPWPTollCommodoreW.DavisonC.Baird
24WPWPWPWPBundaberg RumCommodoreF.Coulthard D.Reynolds
30LDMWPWPLDRGulf Western OilsCommodoreM.NoskeN.Pretty
33GRMGRMWPGRMFujitsuCommodoreL.HoldsworthD.Besnard
34GRMGRMWPGRMFujitsuCommodoreM.CarusoG.Ritter
39PMM888KREPMMSuperCheapCommodoreR.IngallP.Morris
47JRRSBRSBRSBRWilson SecurityFalconT.SladeJ.Perkins
51PMM888KREPMM Castrol EDGECommodoreG.MurphyT.Blanchard
55RNRFPRFPRFPRBottle OFalconP.DumbrellD.Canto
888888888KRE888VodafoneCommodoreC.LowndesM.Skaife
TBCWildBJRBJRAdrenalineZemanaFalconA.RussellD.Russell
TBCWildTasmanGMRGMRZemanaCommodoreG.EmeryTBC
TBCWildFPRFPRMWMTBCFalconTBCTBC
TBCWild888KRESiedersTBCFalconC.SiedersD.Sieders

Perhaps a couple of these slots will change, we can update on the run as the balance of power (or the bank ) adjusts in the winds of change...

My pick.. #888 Lowndes/Skaife..

Lets see huh
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2724737)   #2
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 500's back at Sandown?
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2724739)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The 500's back at Sandown?
Ah I wish it were...
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2724740)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yawn, by the time this comes around it will seem like another season. That is if anyone remembers who the V8s are by then.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2724783)   #5
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally with the Form Owen has had in the Fujitsu series in that POS VE, i would consider the #1 car line-up the fastest if they can hold it all together.

Half of some of the combinations will be quick..

Tander in the #2, Frosty in the #5 & if the weather is a bit questionable that #9 could come from nowhere like in 2008.

At the end of the day the so-so co drivers only have to give it to the good driver for the last stint, like Skaife/Tander 2008...

My Tip..

The FPR Machine to keep on rolling them.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2725837)   #6
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any reason why Kelly Racing, who still have 2 seats to fill, haven't snapped up Daniel Gaunt yet?

Fresh V8 miles, good finishing record, sensible lap times, they could do a lot worse.

Bargwanna/Gaunt could be a handy combo for a Top 10 (assuming Seton's not paired with Jason)
Old 14 Jul 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2726359)   #7
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am wondering if there is the possibility of still some teams putting their main drivers in one car.

Mainly directed at the teams who's drivers have no hope of winning the championship, therefore there's nothing to lose with one of them surrendering points?

Surely you'd be putting yourself in a competitive advantage if others have a part timer in the car, particularly at bathurst.

For me, if I were the below teams, I would consider it:
  • HRT - Mr Davison ain't winning this year's championship. It will help Garth a lot if they could repeat last year;
  • GRM - the part timers did a great job last year, so why change it? That model gives them the best chance of success I reckon;
  • DJR - Mr Johnson, as a regular driver, would be best paired with Mr Courtney. They'd be a hard combo to beat up there (Bathurst that is);
  • FPR - Dare I say it, and I know it goes against everything that nature can throw at you, but BPB would be at least a better choice for Bathurst for frosty. Perhaps BPB could be in car 5 for bathurst but not PI?

Why won't they do it?
  • They wouldn't conform to the desired regulations. We cannot have rebels now can we...
  • Some teams want maximum points for teams championships - pit positions the following year, qualifying order of cars on track... But seriously, who is going to beat 888 in the teams championships? Most other teams have only 1 driver with serious points;
  • Sponsor conflicts - obviously some teams have different liveries for two cars in one team. Hasn't been an issue in the past, but I bet it will be an excuse used now.

I was also thinking, albiet briefly, that the grand slam might have something to do with it. But only Garth can get it, so thats a mute point. Kind of. Bathurst is part of it (yes?), so wouldn't he want the maximum chances to pop a cool 2 mill? Mr Davison, you are driving here sunshine.

So with this in mind, my opinions on the enduros (500 included) is that they are weakened by not letting the teams decide which drivers drive their own cars, yet the rules enforce multiple drivers for the one car.

The only saving grace with the 500 (and I wish it was still at Sandown too), is that the part timers only need to do one stint.

I think car 888 and 39 could be dark horses. However, assuming there isnt mass carneage and/or rain, you can assume the normal protaganists will fight it out at the top.

What a shame the 500 and bathurst are part of the championship... whoa I know thats a story for another thread
Old 14 Jul 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2726362)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
The only saving grace with the 500 (and I wish it was still at Sandown too), is that the part timers only need to do one stint.
are they still doing the single driver only races on the saturday?
Old 15 Jul 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2727352)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is Mr Owen a risk? Article Here suggests he isnt, but someone must have prompted the negative thoughts.

Its not quite humble either...
Old 16 Jul 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2727368)   #10
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is Mr Owen a risk? Article Here suggests he isnt, but someone must have prompted the negative thoughts.

Following his progress over the last few years I thought Owen came across a touch arrogant too. However having worked with him in the Commodore Cup enduro, I found out he is actually just a bit shy and not realy into the whole interview/publicity thing - Not great if you want to be a top tier driver but it's something he could be trained in at least.

Whenever someone came to interview or asked him something that was to be used as a quote he sort-of clammed up and wasn't himself, around anyone else he was quite relaxed and quiet, and just enjoying the chance to drive the car - He didn't request anything unless we prompted him for what he wanted, his view was that it was the other drivers car and it should be made to suit him.

Knowing him now, I would say that that article is him admitting fault and saying "I stuffed up", A basic apoligy and saying I hope not to make the same mistake again and shouldn't given the cars in the main game are not as varied as those in the Fujitsu series. I can tell you this though, He lapped quickest in every session he was in the car and it was a touch down on torque for the weekend. Pretty good considering he sat in the car for the first time on the Friday in very wet conditions.

I may be biased in that opinion though. For my picks, its hard to go past both 888 Cars, the #18 car and I'd pick #33 as the dark horse, with #17 having some potential too. Prior to last weekend I would have said #5 but Youlden really didn't impress me too much in the MW ex FPR BF.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2727383)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Some people say he is hard to work with, usually where there is lots of smoke there is fire, but no question he is a good driver.

People skills can be coached. I've seen shy or not talkative people before get classed as "arrogant" and then when people get to know them the story changes and they realize they are good company. Some people don't wear their every emotion and thought on their sleeve.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2727931)   #12
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
“It was my mistake and there’s not much I can do about it now.”

"...at the end of the day it’s still my fault."

Sounds pretty humble to me. I think some of you blokes are going off half-cocked.

Note that the bit about him having the ability to brake late wasn't a quote either, just an interpretation from the journalist
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 18 Jul 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2728729)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Adrenaline withdraws wildcard entry

And so they were 32....
Old 21 Jul 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2730065)   #14
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
jason7253 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does any one know what supports are have seen Superbikes and utes is there any thing else? Taking family to melbourne for school holidays and I got sunday off and am heading down, i have never been to PI before any tips on viewing?
Old 22 Jul 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2730856)   #15
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, The enduro line up should look like this?

#RECCarEnginePreparerSponsorModelDriverL&H 500 Co-Driver
1888888KRE888VodafoneCommodoreJ.WhincupS.Owen
2WPHRTWPWPTollCommodoreG.TanderC.McConville
3TDRWPWPTDRCentaurCommodoreT.D’AlbertoS.Price
4SBRSBRSBRSBRIrwin ToolsFalconA.DavisonD.Brabham
5FPRFPRFPRFPROrrconFalconM.WinterbottomL.Youlden
6FPRFPRFPRFPRDunlopFalconS.Richards J.Moffat
7KRKRKRKRJack DanielsCommodoreT.KellyG.Seton
8BJRWPNESBJRBOCCommodoreJ.RichardsA.Jones
9SBRSBRSBRSBRSP ToolsFalconS.van GisbergenJ.McIntyre
10WPWPWPWPBundaberg RumCommodoreA.ThompsonN.Percat
11PEKRKRKRRock EnergyCommodoreJ.BargwannaJ.Reid
12FFF888KREFFFBMCFalconD.FioreM.Patrizi
14BJRWPNESBJRTrading PostCommodoreJ.BrightM.Halliday
15KRKRKRKRJack DanielsCommodoreR.KellyO.Kelly
16PEKRKRKRStratcoCommodoreT.RicciardelloD.Wood
17DJR888DJRDJRJim BeamFalconS.JohnsonM.Marshall
18DJR888DJRDJRJim BeamFalconJ.CourtneyW. Luff
19Tekno888DJRDJRMotherFalconJ.WebbD.Russell
21BritekWPNESBJRFair Dinkum ShedsCommodoreK.ReindlerD.Wall
22WPHRTWPWPTollCommodoreW.DavisonC.Baird
23WildTasmanKREGMRNational Directory Dist.CommodoreD.GauntG.Emery
24WPWPWPWPBundaberg RumCommodoreF.Coulthard D.Reynolds
29WildFPRFPRMWMTeam Kiwi RacingFalconM.HamiltonA.Pederson
30LDMWPWPLDRGulf Western OilsCommodoreM.NoskeN.Pretty
33GRMGRMWPGRMFujitsuCommodoreL.HoldsworthD.Besnard
34GRMGRMWPGRMFujitsuCommodoreM.CarusoG.Ritter
39PMM888KREPMMSuperCheapCommodoreR.IngallP.Morris
47JRRSBRSBRSBRWilson SecurityFalconT.SladeJ.Perkins
49Wild888KRESiedersJesus All About LifeFalconA.FisherD.Sieders
51PMM888KREPMM Castrol EDGECommodoreG.MurphyT.Blanchard
55RNRFPRFPRFPRBottle OFalconP.DumbrellD.Canto
888888888KRE888VodafoneCommodoreC.LowndesM.Skaife
Old 22 Jul 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2730911)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
#23 is not the likely combination, while #29 may be played that way over the ditch, but not likely either... while the codriver of #11 may be someone different too...

With all this free time you would think someone would confirm the list officially huh
Old 23 Jul 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2730990)   #17
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has FPR confirmed there driver pairing yet??
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Jul 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2730994)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
FPR is likely to be #5 Frosty/Youlden and #6 Richards/Moffat, primarily because of physical size.

I understand that #11 may include a driver just punted from his regular main game seat....
Old 23 Jul 2010, 06:09 (Ref:2731001)   #19
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes herd that GTR , just wondering if confirmation has being made. Is Canto getting punted from the #55 car.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Jul 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2731011)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Is Canto getting punted from the #55 car.
This is FPR so its hard to know... but Mr Canto spent 2 days in the seat last week, you would hope that if they were scheduled to make a change, it happened before that seat time...
Old 24 Jul 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2731570)   #21
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have i missed something, why would Canto get punted?
Old 28 Jul 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2734335)   #22
STEVO
Veteran

#11 - Bargwanna/Seton

If experience counts for anything, pencil in Jason Bargwanna and Glenn Seton as a threat in this year’s V8 Supercars endurance races at Phillip Island and Bathurst.

Seton will team up with Bargwanna in the #11 Rock Holden Commodore at the L&H 500 at Phillip Island and the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

The duo’s combined total of Bathurst 1000 starts is 39, equal to the #888 TeamVodafone pairing of Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife.

Seton was announced as a part of Kelly Racing’s endurance driver line-up in May as the two-time Australian Touring Car Champion chases an elusive first Bathurst 1000 victory.

While the pair has never competed in the same V8 Supercar, or even the same team, they do have endurance race experience as part of the same team. Bargwanna and Seton both raced as part of the Pro-Duct operation at the Bathurst 12 Hour production car race in February, where Seton finished in second place.

The #11 Rock Racing Commodore VE
Seton says that a podium result is the pair’s aim for the two races.

“Jason (Bargwanna) spoke to me about what I was going to do this year because we were in the same team at the (Bathurst) 12 Hour earlier this year,” said Seton.

“So it’s great to get the opportunity to go there again for the 26th time at Bathurst and get to be a part of Jason’s show and go up there together.

“Jason drives like a little terrier dog and if he ever gets the chance he will be digging at their heels.

“I’m really looking forward to being a part of that and to get up on that podium is our aim.

“Having all those Bathurst starts makes both of us feel old – we’ll have to talk that down I think!”

Bargwanna, the 2000 Bathurst 1000 winner, said that with the addition of Seton, his entry’s speed and experience won’t be lacking at Phillip Island and Bathurst.

“Obviously this year, with not being able to pair up your number one drivers, it’s going to make the race very interesting,” said Bargwanna.

“Last year I had Mark Noske in my car and we were fighting for a podium position.

“I think this year with Glenn with me in the Rock car, there is no doubt that with the experience we have between us, we are in with a good shot.

“When you look at the amount of podiums that Glenn has had at Bathurst, it shows what he is capable of there.

“We teamed up together at the (Bathurst) 12 Hour in separate cars but in the same team earlier this year.

“I chased him around the Mountain and I can tell you that he knows the place better than most and that’s the bloke you need in your car.”

The L&H 500 at Phillip Island will be held on September 10-12 before ‘the Great Race’ – the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 on October 7-10.

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/07/...or-v8-enduros/
Old 28 Jul 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2734341)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO View Post
#11 - Bargwanna/Seton

If experience counts for anything, pencil in Jason Bargwanna and Glenn Seton as a threat in this year’s V8 Supercars endurance races at Phillip Island and Bathurst.

Seton will team up with Bargwanna in the #11 Rock Holden Commodore at the L&H 500 at Phillip Island and the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

The duo’s combined total of Bathurst 1000 starts is 39, equal to the #888 TeamVodafone pairing of Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife.

Seton was announced as a part of Kelly Racing’s endurance driver line-up in May as the two-time Australian Touring Car Champion chases an elusive first Bathurst 1000 victory.

While the pair has never competed in the same V8 Supercar, or even the same team, they do have endurance race experience as part of the same team. Bargwanna and Seton both raced as part of the Pro-Duct operation at the Bathurst 12 Hour production car race in February, where Seton finished in second place.

The #11 Rock Racing Commodore VE
Seton says that a podium result is the pair’s aim for the two races.

“Jason (Bargwanna) spoke to me about what I was going to do this year because we were in the same team at the (Bathurst) 12 Hour earlier this year,” said Seton.

“So it’s great to get the opportunity to go there again for the 26th time at Bathurst and get to be a part of Jason’s show and go up there together.

“Jason drives like a little terrier dog and if he ever gets the chance he will be digging at their heels.

“I’m really looking forward to being a part of that and to get up on that podium is our aim.

“Having all those Bathurst starts makes both of us feel old – we’ll have to talk that down I think!”

Bargwanna, the 2000 Bathurst 1000 winner, said that with the addition of Seton, his entry’s speed and experience won’t be lacking at Phillip Island and Bathurst.

“Obviously this year, with not being able to pair up your number one drivers, it’s going to make the race very interesting,” said Bargwanna.

“Last year I had Mark Noske in my car and we were fighting for a podium position.

“I think this year with Glenn with me in the Rock car, there is no doubt that with the experience we have between us, we are in with a good shot.

“When you look at the amount of podiums that Glenn has had at Bathurst, it shows what he is capable of there.

“We teamed up together at the (Bathurst) 12 Hour in separate cars but in the same team earlier this year.

“I chased him around the Mountain and I can tell you that he knows the place better than most and that’s the bloke you need in your car.”

The L&H 500 at Phillip Island will be held on September 10-12 before ‘the Great Race’ – the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 on October 7-10.

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/07/...or-v8-enduros/
Here's hoping there is a chassis update for this car for the enduros... there is a marked difference between the performance of the #11 car and the performance of #7 and #15... besides having less letters on the window
Old 28 Jul 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2734345)   #24
STEVO
Veteran

Somehow I doubt that GTR.

Looks like Glenn's in the "3rd" best entry for KR

Am guessing he was the 3rd fastest of all the KR co-drivers?
Old 28 Jul 2010, 01:29 (Ref:2734369)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO View Post
Somehow I doubt that GTR.

Looks like Glenn's in the "3rd" best entry for KR

Am guessing he was the 3rd fastest of all the KR co-drivers?
Not too sure about that one. Mr Reid was originally scheduled to drive with Mr T.Kelly, then he wasn't, then he was, then... well the conventional wisdom suggested Mr Seton was the alternate...

Who is in the #7 car now?