Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3050334)   #1
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trailers

This is maybe not the best place to ask this but the car it is for is 14 YO car so...

I have a wee Fiesta prepared for racing at Kirkistown and I bought it a trailer, as you do, I have a wee truck for my single seaters but the tail lift would be under pressure with the Fiesta so I always intended to use a trailer. I have bought a nice tidy trailer built by an old engineer to haul his wee tractor to shows etc. so it can carry about 2 tonnes. It has brakes, a tyre rack, two jerry can holders, lights, safety chain etc.
Now I have been told it aint legal unless it has a weight plate because it has two axles. Is this the case in England?

Cheers.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3050401)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I believe all trailers should be marked with their gross weight, a VIN plate is not a legal requirement but it wouldn't be much trouble to fit one. You can make up the gross weight by working out what the maximum tyre loading is but don't forget you can't go more than 3500kg gross on overrun brakes. If it's unbraked then the max gross is 750kg if you didn't already know. Aren't you in NI where everything is different?
Old 29 Mar 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3050618)   #3
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Aren't you in NI where everything is different?
I am and it usually is! I spoke to PSNI Traffic branch today and they told me - current legislation is that no plate is required at the min. but that new legislation is imminent. However is is likely that a caveat of some sort will be used so that home built trailers will only have to comply with road traffic rules.

So I appear to be ok