Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Should Tom Boardman be driving in the BTCC?
NO he is a prat, and a danger to other drivers 6 27.27%
YES (you can post your reasons) >( 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jul 2001, 11:32 (Ref:123734)   #1
AlexCR
Rookie

AlexCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Boardman is a prat

Hey

Doesn't anybody else think that Tom Boardman should NOT be driving in the BTCC. He is a danger to the other drivers, and he is a **** driver. Look at Oulton Park, where Peter Cate, in a faster car, drew alongside him into Lodge, and Boardman blatently swerved at him and smashed into his car, damaging it significantly. He also, if a driver is followingclosely, stands on the brakes early, so that driver smashes into him. At Oulton Park, Boardman carried on driving even when he had only two spokes left on one of his alloy wheels. I find it very amusing how most of the other drivers, especially Collard, are starting to give him a hardtime. e.g. at Silverstone, Collard was following Boardnman on a qualifying lap, but Boardman would nt get out the way (purposefully of course), so the next time Collard came round, Boardman had disppeared and he was in the gravel over the other side of the circuit. Boardman is a complete arse, can't drive to save his life, and he also pays the BBC so the commentators praise him no end, even when he drives like acomplete moron (i.e. all the time). The prat should be kicked out the sport all together.

Alex ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://acrf1.moonfruit.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 30 Jul 2001, 12:09 (Ref:123762)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he ought to go elsewhere until he's learnt some on-track manners. I've been astonished and appalled at some of the moves he's pulled on people - and I've seen him "shoulder" people off at least twice, for example - without ever seeming to incur any penalty, or even comment from trackside, TV or magazine commentators.

I'm sure he's a very nice bloke, and the team are great too, but it must be costing them a fortune in spares - not to mention the damage he's caused to others.

Stock cars might suit him.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 16:05 (Ref:123842)   #3
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree. I think that he's done a fine job in the production class, he's driven very well, and yes there has been some dodgy shunts 'n' bumps with other production drivers, but that's the very nature of the sport. I believe that there's a big difference in punting another driver off and contact being a racing incident. I don't feel that he's driven any differently from any of the other production drivers.
yesthere's been contact, but that's the point of the sport. Cate was not exactly Mr innocent of the thruxton round. I'm not a Tom Boardman fan, nor an enemy of any driver, but i feel that he's achieved some great results, and i'm not just saying that cos he's a young lad,but because he's shown some great talent in his young career so far. Touring car is not stock car racing, but there is bound to be some contact. We cannot expect a grid of over 20 cars to follow each other in circle too frightened to take a chance, make a move or a dive up the inside, which is what he's done. no different from any other driver.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 17:35 (Ref:123863)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Tom is a very talented guy who does a very good job much of the time. However, he needs to review some of his driving standards - he's not driving in Ministox anymore, afterall... the red mist certainly does seem to descend sometimes - or maybe daddy is shouting down the pit to car radio at him...?
Old 30 Jul 2001, 18:09 (Ref:123889)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'll let this one go for now but you might want to consider the tone of your post. Suggestions that money has changed hands between TBR and BBC, for example, is potentially libeleous, unless you have some evidence to back up those claims. I know that Charlie Cox likes Tom but I wouldn't say his comments on TV have been particular full of praise.

To respond to a few of your points are you saying that's OK for Collard to push Tom off during qualifying but not OK for Tom to run into anyone else? Sounds like double standards to me. At times Collard himself has been blatent with his weaving (Brands for example).

Tom is a hard racer, but so are many other drivers. What is apparant is that his car isn't quite up to the job so he's having to over-drive it and is getting bogged down in the mid-field.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 18:46 (Ref:123918)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without doubt to me TB is a potential star of the future. He just needs more experience and learning the ways of the BTCC. I can see another potential Thommo in him, he's certainly got the talent.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 19:08 (Ref:123940)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Could be good in Nascar - he's certainly not to be intimidated! You could have a good point about the car not being up yo it and him overdriving, but perhaps he does need to realise that he needs to look after the car for it to look after him too...
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:23 (Ref:123981)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point there Craig. It's not just the driving fast it's the looking after the car and tyres.

What you have to remember is he is just a kid. He has probably never had a really bad crump so he feels he is invincible and will take risks. He has matured some this year and hopefully will continue to do so. Maybe he needs to be 'taken under the wing' of someone - maybe as part of a two car team - that would help.

I also believe he will make the grade.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 22:16 (Ref:124048)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom is a very impressive driver, and I don't believe there is too much of a problem with his driving standards. Ok, so perhaps he needs to calm down just a little, but he is a serious future star, and even better, he is exciting to watch in the car.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 17:02 (Ref:124413)   #10
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he's done a good job so far this season. In T-cars he was never this physical, so I would blame this on the pressure of racing in such an important series.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 01:33 (Ref:124547)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Tom should be out there at the moment. The battle he had with Cate at Oulten was pretty bad on his behalf and then accusing Collard i think it was of putting him off at Copse was pretty dumb. i think he could do well in the future but needs more experience.
Old 20 Aug 2001, 23:43 (Ref:133414)   #12
Tom B
Rookie

Tom B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair enough some of this is people's opinion, and they're allowed to have one. but some of the rubbish posted here is actually quite hurtful and not true.

Last edited by Tom B; 20 Aug 2001 at 23:45.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 00:16 (Ref:133425)   #13
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will second that.

Old 21 Aug 2001, 00:22 (Ref:133428)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 05:55 (Ref:133522)   #15
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
As you can tell by the poll most people do not believe Alex's comment either.

You just carry on Tom learning your craft and you are going to go far. It's a pity you had such a foul weekend at Croft.

Good luck at Oulton Park and save me a lollypop please!!
Old 21 Aug 2001, 06:27 (Ref:133537)   #16
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Tom will make mistakes, but he is not the only one!
I've seen some brilliant moves by Tom and his committment into some corners is fantastic, many so called experienced drivers would never get get round the corner. Toms car control if fantastic there is no doubt!!

Kelvin
Old 21 Aug 2001, 08:32 (Ref:133588)   #17
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to second whay Kelvin said, Tom's car control is terrific, his style can be a little.....well, "determined" at times, but I think he adds a lot to the series and added to that he's a nice bloke. There is bound to be contact in the championship, and perhaps some of it could be avoidable, but it isn't only in the production category that it happens, in fact one of our cars had its side taken out at Snetterton while being lapped by one of the Touring class cars, I'm not blaming anyone, just illustrating the fact that even under those circumstances, damage can happen.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 10:05 (Ref:133611)   #18
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Tom's driving was out of order, the Clerk of the Course would have had his licence by now.
The attitude of some of these posts surprises me, the guy is young and a little inexperienced, but undoubtedly is putting in some good performances and deserves to be in the Championship.
He certainly doesn't deserve the slating he has got here and a few people here should crawl back under their rocks.
This topic should end here.

RickP
Old 21 Aug 2001, 10:40 (Ref:133617)   #19
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have already suggested to the webmaster that this thread is closed. It is not really suitable for a 'family fun' forum.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 20:46 (Ref:133880)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I considered deleting this thread when it first appeared but decided to let it ride (see my previous comments). You may not agree with the original posters comments (and personally I do not) but that's no reason to delete the thread. In fact one of my reasons for letting the thread continue is that I suspected the majority of forum members would disagree with the comments and would support Tom. Reading through the posts again that's pretty much what has happened.

One thing I find interesting is that the original poster can provide no evidence to back up such wild allegations, and indeed has not posted any message other since. That for me says all I need to know.

Tom, don't take these things to heart. As I've said already, the majority of people here DO support you.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 21:57 (Ref:133925)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
hear hear.

I just hope Tom pops back in and realises that for himself!
Old 21 Aug 2001, 22:09 (Ref:133934)   #22
Tom B
Rookie

Tom B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys. Nice to know i'm doing something right this year.
Old 21 Aug 2001, 22:24 (Ref:133944)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom, I believe that a future BTC-T Champion posted before me, and I'm not just saying that.
I've often thought that some other drivers in the BTC-P have tried to push you out the way because your the new boy.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 05:44 (Ref:134056)   #24
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
So Tom, is the car all fixed and you raring to go this weekend?
Old 22 Aug 2001, 11:38 (Ref:134190)   #25
Sandra R.
Rookie

Sandra R. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Tom is lovely and always has time to talk to you when you see him. He could be really full of himself - to find himself in his position at his age - but he isn't - he is just pleased to be there and doing what he loves.

I said at the start of the croft meeting that there were two guys I would love to see win a production race. One was Jim Edwards Jnr - who did just that at Croft, and the other one was Tom.

So come on Tom, give us something to cheer about at Oulton - and Les and I will defeafen everyone in the vicinity with our screams and airhorn - like we did for Jim. Anyone in a nervous disposition - should not go near the inside of cascades on Sunday......