Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3104512)   #1
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber re-signs for Red Bull

Wow so another year for Mark at Red Bull in 2013? Great time to renegotiate, after his recent run.

Will this finish his career out with them?

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Sate...21243232289802
Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3104513)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mods, could we have a hyphen please?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3104515)   #3
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Yes, I couldn't edit the title once I realised the oversight, thanks.

All the speculation about Ferrari was exactly that - speculation. Doesn't sound like Mark had any real intentions of leaving, based on the interview.

Last edited by AussieTimmeh; 10 Jul 2012 at 09:35.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3104525)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Another year of whinging Aussie when things don't go according to plan then?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3104526)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thread title changed. Re-signs not resigns.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3104529)   #6
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds as though there were some discussions with Ferrari but why leave RBR when they have the best car and you are in the hunt for 2012 WDC.

If he had left he would have struggled to get the support he requires to win this years WDC as I am sure RBR would have focussed on Vettel if Webber was going to leave...they sure would not have liked Webber taking the No.1 to Ferrari.

The smart move, ensures he has a reasonable shot at this years title and ensures he has the best chance possible of being competitive in 2013.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3104533)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It would've nice to see him move for the variety and to see how well he'd cope. Maybe there was even an offchance that he'd surprise over there.

But staying at RBR is a no-brainer from his own POV. It'd be a pure folly to move away from an Adrian Newey team. His decision has just maximised what chance he has to end his career with a championship.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3104534)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, what are the Red Bull management smoking?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3104537)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dunno, but it seems to me to be a good deal for all of them. They get consistency whilst they bring someone else along. Don't forget he's doing very well against Seb this year. I may disagree with all the gerw gaws and gizmos they use now but he does seem to be making the best of them against his more illustrious team mate.

And he is English after a......................
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3104539)   #10
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thread title changed. Re-signs not resigns.
Are you sure that wasn't deliberate?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3104540)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3104543)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good, hopefully another year of seeing him being competitive
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3104558)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTimmeh View Post
Yes, I couldn't edit the title once I realised the oversight, thanks.

All the speculation about Ferrari was exactly that - speculation. Doesn't sound like Mark had any real intentions of leaving, based on the interview.
Hmm, not necessarily speculation, by the sounds of it! Sounded like there was definitely truth to it. He had conversations with them, and you don't do that for a laugh...

Selby
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3104565)   #14
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Hmm, not necessarily speculation, by the sounds of it! Sounded like there was definitely truth to it. He had conversations with them, and you don't do that for a laugh...

Selby
I was thinking about the news articles that said he had signed pre-agreements with Ferrari, for example.

I can't remember if it was Adrian Newey or Christian Horner who pointed out this speculation, said that nearly all of the key figures at Red Bull had signed at Ferrari at some point during the year, if you believed what the media reported.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3104577)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I was thinking about the news articles that said he had signed pre-agreements with Ferrari, for example.

I can't remember if it was Adrian Newey or Christian Horner who pointed out this speculation, said that nearly all of the key figures at Red Bull had signed at Ferrari at some point during the year, if you believed what the media reported.
Christian said it.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3104594)   #16
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Buemi to Ferrari?!

Not a fan of Webber's, but it's the logical choice to re-sign. As ever, the relationship isn't exactly harmonious but Red Bull need him as much as he needs Red Bull. 2014 will be a different story altogether with a more experienced JEV and Ricciardo circling.

I never really thought Mark would be happy to be a #2 to Alonso, so never really believed the Ferrari stories. It's almost certainly Perez to Ferrari then.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3104608)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Way to go, Webber!

So, that kind of closes off options for a number of other drivers.

Vettel is going nowhere.

Hamilton will stay at McLaren, but for how long?

Massa is showing signs of improvement, and driving that #2 Ferrari always seems to be a thankless task.

Schumacher is also showing signs of getting it together.

Rosberg is, well.....Rosberg.

Raikkonen and Grosjean are doing the biz.

Difficult to see any movement of drivers in the top teams.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3104669)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the joke "Webber to Renault" is fading away year by year...
Old 10 Jul 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3104695)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Died last year when they became Lotus.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3104717)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Died last year when they became Lotus.
Yep, though is amazing how the commentators still call them Renault every weekend race...
Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3104718)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not on the beeb they don't.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3104748)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Not on the beeb they don't.
That's because now they don't have a "Murray Walker" dudes like we still do...
Old 10 Jul 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3104750)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Contract time. Expert drive. Thanks for coming.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3104754)   #24
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great decision by all involved IMO. Webber is a solid points scorer and if Lewis can't win it this year, I'd love to see Mark do it. He showed in 2010 he is no pushover and will challenge the cloak and dagger approach to offering emotional support to his teammate. It heaped media pressure on Red Bull and rightly so. I think this was the turning point for Mark. He's had a good run so far this season and now was an excellent time to negotiate.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3104780)   #25
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
damn was Hoping Riccardo to take that seat...on ya mark.