Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3109795)   #1
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel down to 5th after penalty

Hooray!!!

Too right. Cheating Red Bull managed to dodge 1 cheat, at least Vettel was penalised for the second.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3109796)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Link?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3109798)   #3
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Link?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101426
Old 22 Jul 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3109802)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3109807)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A pity that it couldn't have been decided before the race had finished. Probably not done on purpose, but rules is rules.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3109824)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair enough.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3109836)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Montoya, among others did the same in 2005 without penalty. Yet again no consistancy.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3109837)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Montoya, among others did the same in 2005 without penalty. Yet again no consistancy.
Maybe the regulations were different back then?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3109839)   #9
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Un ****ing real.

So he is in front goes off to give jenson room then gets the penalty? If he didnt then Benson would have collided with him. Wheres Bensons penatly for not leaving space?

Ferrari finally has a chance to win a championship again and the post race penatlies in their favor come back. Go figure.

I thought the whole point of their new stewards deal was to avoid this crap. For a few years it went away and now post race time penatlies are back. What a joke.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3109841)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Different stewards as well.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3109843)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's been done before with no penalty. It happens when negotiating lapped cars. Sorry, off track should be off limits, period! No excuses! They enforced NO penalties for people getting four wheels off the track all over the place today.

I expect and demand consistency in these matters. If using the run-off is okay for one man, it must be okay for everyone. If it is unacceptable for one man to use that area, it must be unacceptable for anyone to make use of it. They have video of the whole damn race, so anything less is not good enough!
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3109844)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztnedman1 View Post
Un ****ing real.

Wheres Bensons penatly for not leaving space?
Maldonado might have asked the same thing of Hamilton a couple of weeks back.

I thought that 'Benson' left Vettel far too much space, but Vettel didn't feel the need to use it.

But yes, you're right. F1 is just a big fat stinking conspiracy to make Ferrari come out on top every season.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3109845)   #13
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I believe the regulations have changed, I'm not sure what year but I think around 06/07/08 they made some changes to the "respecting track limits." I know Le Mans/ACO racing and British racing have cracked down on it a lot more recently than they used to.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3109847)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I thought they'd changed the regs, or ruling, in the last couple of weeks.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3109848)   #15
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if the stewards might have made a different decision if Vettel hadn't repeatedly gone four wheels off at various points on the circuit throughout the race?

It seems 20 seconds is the minimum penalty they can give post race, which perhaps makes it a little harsh. In this case 10 seconds would seem to be fair - that would have just knocked him back to third.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3109853)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It seems fair to me. Seb went fully off the track to pass. If it'd been a wall instead of a white line, he couldn't have made the pass and wouldn't (or shouldn't) have tried.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3109855)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
How can going off the circuit be different?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3109856)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztnedman1 View Post
Un ****ing real.

So he is in front goes off to give jenson room then gets the penalty? If he didnt then Benson would have collided with him. Wheres Bensons penatly for not leaving space?

I thought the whole point of their new stewards deal was to avoid this crap. For a few years it went away and now post race time penatlies are back. What a joke.
WHATTTT?!?!?!?! Jenson does not EVER have to give him room to come back on track. You dive in the corner and can't make it stick without going off that's your fault. Button didn't push him off, just took a smooth although tight to the apex line and squared it off at lower speed but he was in position to make that line work. Was Vettel's job to make his line work within the bounds of the track and the car he was trying to pass, going outside not just the white lines but a couple feet of rumble strip is NOT making the pass work within the rules.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3109857)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I wonder if the stewards might have made a different decision if Vettel hadn't repeatedly gone four wheels off at various points on the circuit throughout the race?
Alonso did the same continualy at the last corner too
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3109863)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Different stewards as well.
The FIAs finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It's been done before with no penalty. It happens when negotiating lapped cars. Sorry, off track should be off limits, period! No excuses! They enforced NO penalties for people getting four wheels off the track all over the place today.

I expect and demand consistency in these matters. If using the run-off is okay for one man, it must be okay for everyone. If it is unacceptable for one man to use that area, it must be unacceptable for anyone to make use of it. They have video of the whole damn race, so anything less is not good enough!
The exception seemed to be one man running off track and gaining an advantage. Normally you wouldn't gain any advantage by running wide on a corner.

Legitimate excuses for running off track:

1. I drive an HRT.
2. I drive the other HRT.
3. I drive an HRT, but I'm not sure that I'm making much difference to the cars behaviour by using the steering wheel and pressing the pedals.
4. It was raining when I got to that corner and on the next lap it had stopped raining at that corner.
5. He shoved me off track.
6. My tyres are worn.
7. I was trying to overtake Maldonado.
8. I was trying to overtake Hamilton.
9. I can't drive for toffee.
10. I was waving to my Mum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I thought they'd changed the regs, or ruling, in the last couple of weeks.
Even as late as the driver briefing.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3109864)   #21
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Alonso did the same continualy at the last corner too
Someone else mentioned that. Must admit I hadn't noticed, but then I only watched the highlights.

I suppose the argument would be that he didn't gain an obvious advantage, but you have to wonder whether, aggregated together, it just kept him that fraction out of Jenson's reach - if indeed there is a time saving.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3109868)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Someone else mentioned that. Must admit I hadn't noticed, but then I only watched the highlights.

I suppose the argument would be that he didn't gain an obvious advantage, but you have to wonder whether, aggregated together, it just kept him that fraction out of Jenson's reach - if indeed there is a time saving.
Feranado, being Fernando doesn't do anything unless it advantages him. By going off the circuit it seemed to give him a straighter line onto the start/finish straight.

Dispite being a Vettel fan, i do agree that he gained an advantage over Jenson, but fact remains that over the years, so many drivers have made the same pass without being penalised. There is no consistancy at all.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3109872)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If you put wheels off, and maintain your gaps, you've "gained an advantage". It may not be a position, but if it was grass, or a wall, you would have lost time.

In my mind, if you don't want guys abusing it, don't bloody pave it in the first frickin' place!

It's been paved now though, and going off is NOT be punished at all consistently, so as far as I'm concerned, anything is fair game, and no penalty for it has any legitimacy now!
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3109876)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
How can going off the circuit be different?
There were more gravel traps back then, so maybe less opportunity to run wide and more opportunity to bring your race to an end.

Throughout the whole race, the only visible advantage gained by someone going off track was that of Vettel passing Button.

What if it were a wet race and cars were continually running off and coming back onto the circuit. What then?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3109879)   #25
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the FIA so I'm not sure why people are the slightest bit suprised. Mind you consistency has been a problem in multiple series including those not with FIA stewards.