Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 29 Sep 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3143492)   #1
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post 89 Formula Ford Development Question.

Can someone enlighten me as to the development of FF's since 1990 please!? I'm just wondering what areas have improved. I would imagine (but not sure!) that chassis developmen/stiffness has not improved significantly and the aerodynamics have arguably got worse (more drag?) with the wider chassis and mandated sidepod width. With this in mind would a 90's era VD or 92 swift with modern suspension geometry be the best of both worlds? What makes an RF00 that much quicker than an RF90 given the same motor/driver /tires?
Thanks!
Old 29 Sep 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3143619)   #2
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandscooper View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to the development of FF's since 1990 please!? I'm just wondering what areas have improved. I would imagine (but not sure!) that chassis developmen/stiffness has not improved significantly and the aerodynamics have arguably got worse (more drag?) with the wider chassis and mandated sidepod width. With this in mind would a 90's era VD or 92 swift with modern suspension geometry be the best of both worlds? What makes an RF00 that much quicker than an RF90 given the same motor/driver /tires?
Thanks!
Hard to say, dont forget an RF90 is 22yo and a RF00 is 12yo currently. I would imagine times are pretty near identical but the RF00 is more forgiving/easier to drive, not so much on a knife edge.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3143778)   #3
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Hard to say, dont forget an RF90 is 22yo and a RF00 is 12yo currently. I would imagine times are pretty near identical but the RF00 is more forgiving/easier to drive, not so much on a knife edge.
I'd say the opposite actually. The RF90 is much more like an RF88 but with better suspension geometry. Conversely, the ex-Zetec cars are less forgiving.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3148704)   #4
Ciprian
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen del Mar
Ciprian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting question, i would like to know too. Also why is the split at 89/90 for the classics?
Old 9 Oct 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3148720)   #5
Matt22
Rookie

Matt22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've had a VD88 and a have Zetec conversion (Mygale '02) so here goes -

The later cars have a wider track width (post '95?) so are fundamentally quicker through the corners. However, they have more bodywork so are slower in a straight line.

The VD88 has near-perfect suspension in terms of wishbones pickup points, camber gain, etc.. For some reason, all this know-how seems to have been lost over the years and replaced with pickup points where ever the nearest bit of chassis is.

My later car needed a lot of tweaking to get it to be forgiving and driveable in the wet. However, even when it was unforgiving and impossible to drive it was still quicker than the '88!
Old 14 Oct 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3151638)   #6
brandscooper
Rookie

So what would the ultimate FF1600 look like? An early 90's VD/Swift with wide track suspension? What is to stop someone doing this?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3151681)   #7
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would stop you is the current regulations. They changed in the early 80s. First you had to have your feet behind the centreline of the front axle and later on minimum cockpit widths came in. What it means is that a 92 VD or Swift is still a pretty good design and if you can find a "new" chassis to get the most out of the fresh material, it should be a car that goes well. A new design needs to meet all sorts of regulations on Rollover protection etc whereas years ago it appears a blind eye was turned. Ie the spike that VD got away with and the adjustable headrest on most Reynards the tube of which could punch through your crash helmet.

Ideally and the big teams did this in period, you have parts so that you can run wide track, narrow track, long wheelbase short wheelbase in circuit testing and then build all the cars to the most suitable spec for each circuit.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3151781)   #8
brandscooper
Rookie

I understand that the regulations stop you building a new car to old regs, but why not fabricate new wishbones for a wider track? I can see how racing in a pre-90 class would prohibit that but post '90? I'm just trying to work out if its worth experimenting with?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3152970)   #9
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
Interesting question, i would like to know too. Also why is the split at 89/90 for the classics?
As the brscc already have races for pre90 cars and i have raced in that in the past, it allows older cars to win outright just ask Colin Williams in his 1976 PRS .
Classics were asked if we would like to compliment our current pre82 championship by running a series of pre90 races ,its been a slow pick up but we have had a lot of people this season having a look and the cars are good value .
If you look at what James Beckett is doing with his national series and if the brscc live up to there promise of enough interest they will split the grid on there national championship, then you can see that pre90 could be an inexpensive way into single seaters .
To come back onto topic it would be interesting to see what you could do with an old chassis played with but think it would be cheaper to buy a newer car . Older cars are more user friendly but less safe than the more modern ones .Then again you could get knocked down crossing the road .
Classic Cars will be supporting James Beckett at the Formula Ford Festival and The WHT with a stand alone race on the sunday for pre82 cars .Plus the brscc winter meeting on Anglesey
Old 16 Oct 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3152981)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS RH01 View Post
....just ask Colin Williams in his 1976 PRS .
Peter.....More like 1978 and if it's an RH02 nearer 1980

Classic Formula Fords can still play with the newer cars and as you say the likes of Colin Williams can achieve decent results.

Last edited by Alan Raine; 16 Oct 2012 at 17:45.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3152992)   #11
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Peter.....More like 1978 and if it's an RH02 nearer 1980

Classic Formula Fords can still play with the newer cars and as you say the likes of Colin Williams can achieve decent results.
Good point well debated ! it is an RH01 i should know i have two and yes 78 had just been looking at the 76 F1 season . Hows yours coming on . I like the idea of someone playing with an old car and improving it just think the cost would kill it before you start . The Len Terry book is an excellent point to start have used it for years and it has helped only need minor changes on most cars .