Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3491860)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will F1 Ever Do This?

I stumbled across video and I was amazed at the difference in thinking between two very prominent race series, F1 trying to ignore technology and fan engagement and NASCAR's approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBifRw6KXZw#t=2801

It is worth watching the whole video to see the diametrically different approach to the same problem, falling audiences.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3491940)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
NASCAR's audiences are falling as well.

I'm all far fan engagement and stuff of this sort though.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3491976)   #3
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
NASCAR's audiences are falling as well.

I'm all far fan engagement and stuff of this sort though.
There's been much ado about falling NASCAR attendance, but even though all but a couple races are held in the same country, really most of them are in the same region of the same country, and many tracks host two rounds, in-person attendance over the course of a year is more than 25% higher than F1 attendance.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but they deserve credit for what they've done.

In my opinion, from a technical standpoint, F1 is gradually turning itself into an open wheel NASCAR, with a standardized chassis and revolving around driver celebrity to the exclusion of technical development.

F1's main problem is it's run by an old coot who feels the fans should be honored he has provided this entertainment for them, and the NASCAR bunch realizes the lite beer guzzling Bubbas's in the stands are the foundation of the whole enterprise.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3493309)   #4
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
There's been much ado about falling NASCAR attendance, but even though all but a couple races are held in the same country, really most of them are in the same region of the same country, and many tracks host two rounds, in-person attendance over the course of a year is more than 25% higher than F1 attendance.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but they deserve credit for what they've done.

In my opinion, from a technical standpoint, F1 is gradually turning itself into an open wheel NASCAR, with a standardized chassis and revolving around driver celebrity to the exclusion of technical development.

F1's main problem is it's run by an old coot who feels the fans should be honored he has provided this entertainment for them, and the NASCAR bunch realizes the lite beer guzzling Bubbas's in the stands are the foundation of the whole enterprise.

You are describing Indycar - now so irrelevant they barely get a full field for the 500. NASCAR's model was good to a point but now, with falling attendance their response is to remove tens of thousands of seats from the "stadiums" so they are full for TV. They continue with irrelevant spec cars (rear drive V8 Camry anyone?) and "managed" races even though the fans are voting against them with their non-attendance. Even the Bubbas are on to the scam. They created a travesty of a Road Racing series in Grand-Am and are now in the process of killing its successor, TUSCC. They suffer from the same hubris as the US car manufacturers in the 60s and 70's (and also that old guy in running F1) that rather than make the product the people actually want they will instead make the people want the product they want to provide.

Last edited by wdave0; 16 Jan 2015 at 14:47.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3493314)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They suffer from the same hubris as the US car manufacturers in the 60s and 70's (and also that old guy in running F1) that rather than make the product the people actually want they will instead make the people want the product they want to they want to provide.
How very true, go to the top of the class. I have never read a more apt description of what is occurring in professional motor sport at the moment. I doubt that the dessicated little coconut would agree though, he thinks his place in the world is to tell us what we need.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3493417)   #6
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
You are describing Indycar - now so irrelevant they barely get a full field for the 500. NASCAR's model was good to a point but now, with falling attendance their response is to remove tens of thousands of seats from the "stadiums" so they are full for TV.
They are removing seats because they over-built. In their current situation, they still have season attendance 25% higher than F1, for a racing series that is mostly limited to one region of one country.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3493451)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
They are removing seats because they over-built. In their current situation, they still have season attendance 25% higher than F1, for a racing series that is mostly limited to one region of one country.
The facts are that like every other facet of motor sport and most other high profile professional sports spectator numbers are dropping as a continuing trend year on year and they know it.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3493459)   #8
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The facts are that like every other facet of motor sport and most other high profile professional sports spectator numbers are dropping as a continuing trend year on year and they know it.
Sure, although in the early 2000's NASCAR attendance was increasing while other sports were falling. And the GenXers aren't as car crazy as the Boomers, which will definitely mean long term falling numbers.

Still, with their fallen numbers, they have season attendance 25% higher than F1, for a racing series that is mostly limited to one region of one country.

I think that means they are doing a good job serving their market.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 00:44 (Ref:3493464)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
NASCAR were bellyaching about a decline in TV ratings. A radical overhaul guaranteeing a champion at the finale after a sequences of races composed of elimination rounds was their response. From memory they still recorded a decline in TV ratings.

F1 does have a self contained garrison mentality interspersed with moments of delayed panic when falling ratings appear on their radar. It's about all they care about, that's their cash cow. [Track attendance is generally regarded as the track's problem] They then try to boost popularity with gimmicks of their own.

F1 and NASCAR need to have the temperament to understand that they've left the boom stage and now - rather than panic - understand that they need to consolidate at a new equilibrium of popularity. The boom time is over - don't goof with the sport trying to claw back popularity that isn't there. And I'm sure that call will go perfectly unheeded.

As for track attendances, yeah, F1 can learn from NASCAR. But F1 knows this; the will has to be there though and the governing body has to be 'drill sergeant' and take leadership here - as NASCAR does.

The governing body in F1 is too weak for that and Eccelstonian rule is more crafty 'divide and rule' than the kind of clear-cut NASCAR-esque strongman 'everyone-in-one-direction' leadership that's needed here.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3493581)   #10
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the lack of live attendance at F1 events is events like Bahrain or Abu Dabi where the local population can barely afford to eat, much less pay for a ridiculously expensive F1 ticket. Also, NASCAR attendance may be 25% higher but they run more than twice as many events.