Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 3 Oct 2001, 11:36 (Ref:155247)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Karts at Brands Hatch?

Guys (and girls) I heard a rumour last weekend that there will be kart racing at this years Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch 20/21st October. Does anyone know if it's true of not?

Stephen.
Old 4 Oct 2001, 02:31 (Ref:155656)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive been looking but havent found anything as yet...but I will kepp looking.
Old 4 Oct 2001, 07:59 (Ref:155692)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Karts were at Brands Hatch on September 9th, and I remember Brian Jones mentioning that they would be returning for the FFord Festival. I should imagine that there will be races for the 250 International Superkarts and the 125 National and Open Superkarts, most probably on the Saturday.
Old 4 Oct 2001, 09:15 (Ref:155713)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Andy,

I have to admit that I'm not over keen marshalling for karts following the tragic accidents the last time they were at Brands some years ago. A lot of my fellow marshals share the same views. I feel even the Indy circuit is too big for them and accidents when they happen are huge and extremely nasty. As it happens, I will be in a tant at the back of Paddock that weekend trying to get a few new marshals to join the fold.

Thanks again and see you soon.

Stephen.
Old 4 Oct 2001, 11:38 (Ref:155748)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the first I have heard of these accidents, but it does not suprise me. They seem to go very fast, but safety seems a little primitive. The races they had at Brands earlier this year were good though. Also on the programme, besides FFord are Radicals, Ford Fiesta, and Kwikpower Sports.
Old 4 Oct 2001, 14:16 (Ref:155802)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well i guess there is your answer Stephen.
in the program thingies that I have looked at it never mentioned anything about karts and I must add superkarts at brands hatch would be amazing..and dangerous as you say ..way to quick ..but anyway if the guys want to race there who is to stop them.

hope ya have good luck in signing up a few marshalls
Old 5 Oct 2001, 11:05 (Ref:156193)   #7
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way to quick and dangerous?,what absolute rubbish!in five years of long circuit racing both 125 national and 250 superkart I have yet to see a incident that left a driver injured.
Very fast,yes most definitely,if they run 250 superkarts at that meeting you will probably find they will be the fastest thing on the circuit.
Safety a bit primitive,bit of an iffy one that,no roll bars,no seatbelts,but a very low centre of gravity means the worst thing that normally happens is you spin,unless a couple of them come together.
Ok so following a incident involving karts you and your fellow marshalls aren't keen on them , I take it this means that in the time you and the others have been a marshalls there hasn't been a bad accident involving any other class or I guess you wouldn't be keen on marshalling for the cars either!

Good luck with finding some more marshalls,i have done it at kart events,and it isn't a job I'd like to do fulltime but I am very grateful to those who do.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 17:39 (Ref:159726)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks for your replies Gentlemen. Sorry for the late response but I've been away on holiday for the past weel soaking up some sunshine before the F Ford Festival hahaha.

Warwick, I'm afraid I have to take issue with you over the crash and safety matter. First of all let me say that I adore Karting and do it myself on a purely corporate footing, so I'm not trying to put it down in any way.

Myself and a many other Brands Hatch marshals officiated at the British Kart GP some years ago when there were two fatalities and the meeting was bought to a premature close. The point that I was trying to make, possibly not in the right manner, was that the karts (especially the 250cc Superkarts) are so fast that safety becomes affected, in my humble opinion. As you rightly say, no seat belts or roll hoops means accidents at those speeds are going to be serious. In the first accident the driver went into the pit wall at full race speed, the steering column and wheel destroyed his chest. I know, I was there and saw the rescue unit try to revive the driver. I also had to console the guys mother and wife who were close by. In the second accident a driver went off at paddock Hill and was soon followed by a second driver who managed to get his kart launched and then rode up the back of the one in front, breaking the guys neck. A friend and fellow marshal took the dead drivers children for a long walk to get them away from the scene after his wife and children managed to get track side.

Please don't think I'm trying to get Karting stopped, nothing could be further from the truth. I am saying however, that in my opinion long track racing carries increasing dangers for the drivers. Karting will always be fun to watch and I'm a great fan.

As for the remark about other forms of racing. Yes, I have seen some pretty horrific accidents but thank God I have never had to attend the typ I did that fateful day. Maybe you can understand why some marshals are reluctant to marshal karts at long circuit meetings?

Stephen.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 10:36 (Ref:162812)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Will any of you guys (or girls) be at Brands Hatch for the karts this weekend?
Old 22 Oct 2001, 12:22 (Ref:163875)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Karts behaved themselves quite well this weekend at the Formula Ford Festival. The weather on Saturday meant they practiced and raced in damp/wet conditions which was a great shame. Unfortunately on Sunday the weather got even worse and ther stewards decided it was too dangerous to race karts and the race was therefore cancelled.

I hope the guys who came to Brands Hatch all made it home safely.

Stephen.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 16:18 (Ref:163991)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
bit of a shame to go all that way and then not race ..but i guess safety always should come first ..must have been pretty bad weather.

were any other races cancelled as well ?
Old 22 Oct 2001, 17:54 (Ref:164040)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No Marcus, only the kart race on Sunday. They did get their practice and races in on Saturday though, so it wasn't a completely wasted journey. Weather on Sunday was dire with lots of standing water at the bottom of Paddock Hill, and a river where the GP loop goes off at Surtees. It was the only decision to take in reality, to race would have been dangerous, I'm sure the drivers would agree with me there.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 01:12 (Ref:164224)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Ok thanks Stephen ..Maybe I should have read your original post a little better because you did state they raced on saturday

I guess it was the only decision to make a big puddle at Paddock hill bend is never good in any car but in a Kart it would be totally crazy and im sure by the time they arrived there they would be going very quick indeed.

anyway I hope you enjoyed yourself over the weekend despite the weather.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 07:57 (Ref:164308)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Marcus, I did enjoy it despite the thorough soaking hahaha. It was the only decision they could have taken, if not it would have been carnage and no-one wants to see that.