Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Feb 2002, 23:26 (Ref:211385)   #1
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari's new design for F2002

Top the new F2002 for 2002
Bottom the F2001 of 2001

The lines are marks from the old car in order to make changes visible on the new one. From right to left you'll see vertical lines from:
- the nosecone; similar position
- front axle; the wheelbase is the one thing I took for the same to size the pictures.
- undertray beginning; similar position
- steering wheel; moved back about the width of the wheel, so 20-30 mm or so.
- sidepod front face; less angular, moved back a little.
- headrest; moved back about twice as much as the steering wheel
- airbox intake; same move backwards as the steering wheel here, hence driveline must be that shorter.
- rear axle
From top to bottom you'll spot two horizontal lines from:
- underside airbox intake; similar position
- axis from top front and rear rim

What more differences do you spot?

Last edited by Dino IV; 6 Feb 2002 at 23:28.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 00:41 (Ref:212083)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow dino thanks!Very interesting.I really wonder if they really will go without any wings or kick-or are they just hiding something new.And why would those exausts need such HUGE fairings?I guess it's important that the gasses go exactly where they want them
Old 9 Feb 2002, 06:47 (Ref:212868)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops.I meant -'wings & kick-ups in front of the rear tyres
Old 11 Feb 2002, 10:25 (Ref:213972)   #4
Beamer
Rookie

Beamer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I'm new here. I've been visiting a lot over the last months reading this bb. After seeing the pictures of the F2002 running without the bargeboards I felt it was time to register and pose a question (or two...)

1) Bargeboards are used to control air flow into and over the sidepots, so Ferrari has lost that control... What is be the advantage they gain with leaving them of?

2) Could it be their new engine needs so much cooling that any form of bargeboard would result in too little cooling? In other words, perhaps they couldn't find the right balance of air going into or over the sidepots using bargboards?

Thanks already!
Old 11 Feb 2002, 10:30 (Ref:213975)   #5
Beamer
Rookie

Beamer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a second post from me...

When viewed from above the differences are quite impressive.. Look at the tail-end! that engine must really be small for them to be able to use sidepots so low and a rear so narrow!

BTW: The white lines is the F2001.

Last edited by Beamer; 11 Feb 2002 at 10:32.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 15:42 (Ref:214097)   #6
Luc
Rookie

Luc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barge boards

Ferrari ran the F2002 with and without bargeboards on the tryout on sunday.
I have no clue why. It could have been to show something to the driver.
I have the impression, who the hell am I, that this Ferrari cannot run without bargeboards. Let me explain.

The barge boards are used to seperate airflows around the car. Three main airflows are underneath, around and through the car.

The bargeboards seperate and regulate the airflow through the car and the flow around it. With high tech barge boards they also guide the vortex which seals the flow underneath the car. (The McLaren boards are good examples of the three reasons for their existence).

Since the Ferrari has a very narrow tail and counts on a lot of air to be guided around the car to get a good suction (look at the massive diffuser) I would think that this guidance by the barge boards is necessary. (I have doubts on the legality of this diffuser but you have to see it in real life)
I may be totally wrong but I guess that they wanted to show the driver what the difference to run the car with or without them.

Now,if Ferrari manages to run this car on top level without bargeboards than I think all the designers have to go to think again.

So, wait and see in Imola because I guess that will be the first place to have the F2002 running. They can never test enough before the shipment for Australia is due at the airport. (Another thought which may be wrong)

Does anyone else with an idea about airflows has reasons in mind on this Ferrari and the bargeboardless test?
Old 12 Feb 2002, 07:31 (Ref:214410)   #7
Luc
Rookie

Luc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bargeboard less

I have been looking closely at the pictures at Maranello.

They indeed ran the F2002 without bargeboards for a longer time than just to show something and what I noted as well is that the cowling inlets are huge. Compared to others, who try to minimize the cowling holes, Ferrari made them real big.
Could it be that they run air through it, which goes straight to the tail? So they have sort of splitters inside the sidepontoons so they distribute the air either through the radiator and partly freely to the back of the car?

Anyone an idea?
Old 12 Feb 2002, 17:04 (Ref:214655)   #8
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the barge boards main effect is to control the air flow under the car, which makes a significant amount of downforce.
im certain they will be running them!

the times are looking quite impressive arent they!! two new lap records in the first two days?
Old 12 Feb 2002, 18:41 (Ref:214739)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they are testing new traction systems that can affect the speed of the car more than aerodynamics.
Having just read an interview with Steve Nichols who suggested that engineers haven't even scratched the surface with the new rules, we may be seeing a few fruits of that.
They might be saying can we run without them, they are a bloody huge drag factor after all.