Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2002, 16:50 (Ref:208979)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STODART: "I think we will score a couple of points"

KL Minardi Asiatech yesterday ran their new PS02 chassis for the first time with Alex Yoong behind the wheel. The team hope that their new design will be a big step forward over their previous chassis, despite losing their Talented Technical Director Gustav Brunner to Toyota last year.

"We came into this with a five-year plan and we've stuck to it," Ananova report Team Principle Paul Stoddart as saying. "We said year one was to get professionalism and dignity, we certainly did that. We achieved more than we thought we would achieve, quietly. Towards the end [of 2001] it was sheer pleasure to know that we were genuinely racing people, we were getting better."

"This year I think we'll get off the bottom of the grid," Stoddart continued. "I think we will score a couple of points and finish in the top ten in the constructors' championship. I think we can give Arrows a run for their money and Jaguar and BAR are also targets we can aim for. It's year two and we are right on target. We've got a new works engine with Asiatech with a lot more horsepower than we had last year."

Stoddart is very clear what he hopes 2003 will hold for his team. "Next year is hopefully a podium and that's where you're really starting to stretch your luck a little bit and you need a little luck..."

Minardi’s last championship point came at the topsy-turvy European Grand prix in 1999 when Marc gene finished in sixth position.
Old 2 Feb 2002, 16:56 (Ref:208980)   #2
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with ambition. Go Minardi!!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 00:55 (Ref:209275)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PS certainly is a confident chap isn't he?

But things are going better this year for them than last years. At least they've got the car designed, they're testing and now have credible sponsorship and a 'works' engine.

Minardi will need a bit of luck to score those points, but they will certainly be well deserved.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 01:53 (Ref:209301)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good solid plan.i just hope he actually gets ahead ,the others mentioned won't be standing still either.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 02:57 (Ref:209332)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Minardi will score a point or two this year, perhaps in a race of high attrition or bad whether - if Webber and Yoong can at least stay close to the back they'll be in with a chance.

If it rains at Monaco, Webber will be on the podium Or perhaps I'm going to far with that prediction...
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:04 (Ref:209450)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think I will win at the lottery every time I buy a ticket. Well!! Why not??
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:15 (Ref:209456)   #7
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better to think positive, than say 'We want to go for the top ten.'
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:22 (Ref:209461)   #8
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi will score a 1-2 finish in Oz.

No seriously, you may think I'm crazy now, but I'm gonna look like the worlds biggest genius when my prediction comes true .
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:38 (Ref:209474)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Minardi will score a 1-2 finish in Oz.

No seriously, you may think I'm crazy now, but I'm gonna look like the worlds biggest genius when my prediction comes true .
Yeah!! Right!! :confused:
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:57 (Ref:209486)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it COULD happen, if their the only 2 cars that finish. Wasn't there once only 3 cars that finished at Monaco, or something like that?. Anythings possible.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 11:05 (Ref:209493)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Minardi getting a few points??!!!
I've got more chance of winning the lottery
Old 3 Feb 2002, 12:23 (Ref:209528)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Of course Minardi can score some points - all they need is a high-attrition race, just like Nurburgring 99.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 23:07 (Ref:209882)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

Minardi getting a few points??!!!
I've got more chance of winning the lottery
if a team manager/owner doesn't go into the season thinking that they can acheive at least 1 point then they might aswell quit!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 23:19 (Ref:209890)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I think I will win at the lottery every time I buy a ticket. Well!! Why not??
Were you born pessimistic, Valvey?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 00:07 (Ref:209910)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i think it's good to support the underdogs! (unless you support manchester utd..i.e lack of imagination!!)
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:33 (Ref:210122)   #16
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

if a team manager/owner doesn't go into the season thinking that they can acheive at least 1 point then they might as well quit!
So that's why Craig Pollock left!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:42 (Ref:210130)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have already beaten Prost!

How wonderful it would be if they got a point - not very likely though, if you ask me. Maybe if it rains at Monaco and all the finishers score points... There again Monaco is a serious test of reliability as much as anything else (easy on the engine, hard on transmission and suspension) - and reliability is one of the harder to come by qualities.

I think they should concentrate on beating Arrows and Toyota.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 02:19 (Ref:210490)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I think they should concentrate on beating Arrows and Toyota.
arrows maybe, toyota have far too much money to allow that to happen! i know that BAR had the money and didn't do the job in their first season, but the japanese mentality is different and they won't ALLOW it to happen.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 02:30 (Ref:210500)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by mac

Were you born pessimistic, Valvey?
Despite all our hopes and aspirations for Minardi, and I am definitely cheering for them, there comes a time when one has to be optimistic. They have to perform another miracle of the loaves and fishes proportion to get their new engine up to the power of the top five teams, have reliability, and then we can talk about scoring points in a race of attrition. I am not convinced that hte new Asiatech is that good, and a new engine has to prove its reliability. Sometimes, in a persons day to day dreams, reality sets in and fantasy is left for another day.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 12:31 (Ref:210564)   #20
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr V

I remain sceptical about Toyota- I think a repeat of BAR's first season is distinct possibility. The problem is that there are quite a number of basics that you can only really get right in racing, and by the time you identify a problem the season is half over. Perhaps the famous Toyota budget will allow them more mid-season development than other teams (certainly more then Minardi).

For the start of the season I'd put money on Webber in a Minardi over McNish in a Toyota (or Salo for that matter). Yoong, alas, will be nowhere.

To continue the betting thoughts - most likely, if you ask me, is that neither team will score points. Qualifying in the 107% and finishing the whole race distance are challenges enough.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 17:34 (Ref:211167)   #21
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course we can score a point or three. No more than that I'd reckon, but Minardi can certainly beat Arrows, Toyota and possibly Jaguar this season.

Old 7 Feb 2002, 05:23 (Ref:211465)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Of course we can score a point or three. No more than that I'd reckon, but Minardi can certainly beat Arrows, Toyota and possibly Jaguar this season.

OK!!assuming that MInardi can beat the two Ford engined teams and Toyota, we are still relying on a monumental foul up by the other teams before Minardi can score a point.
More importantly, has anyone got any BHP gigures for the new Asiatech please. Of course, if the Asiatech can suddenly pump out something like 900 horses, then yes!! Mark will be right there fighting it out with JPM.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 09:05 (Ref:211497)   #23
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well YES I think points can,could,and will happen for Minardi with Mark behind the wheel . If anything is to from last year cars will fall of the track (dear I say jpm)
I think Monaco will be good hunting for MARK & Minardi
top ten welllll never say never
Old 3 Mar 2002, 19:52 (Ref:227115)   #24
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I found this while searching for something else - it looks like a lot of people were proved wrong in one race!!

Even more interesting - only two teasm got both cars to the finish today, Minardi & Jaguar. On this, the top team today was Minardi!! (Minardi lowest 7th, Jag. lowest 8th)

I think there'll be some celebrating tonight!!

Last edited by Asp; 3 Mar 2002 at 19:53.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:57 (Ref:227254)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lol.... yeoooouch!