Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2002, 10:53 (Ref:328098)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you agree with Safety-Car starting races? (Spa 2000...)

I don't agree.. It robs a lot of the excitement of the starts, and it wasn't as wet anyway (Spa 1997, 2000)

Of course, they didn't use it at Spa'98, and we know what happened, but damn, that was more exciting!

Anyway, lately it seems that it never rains in F1 races...
Old 6 Jul 2002, 11:22 (Ref:328105)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Where it is so wet it is too dangerous of course, but...

1) It wasn't too wet at Spa 2000 as you said, and that was just paranoid drivers and proven as the SC pulled in after one lap
2) Is it safer? - they'll be going into the first corner faster, therefore if there is any minor accident it is likely to be a lot worse, I assume at least
Old 6 Jul 2002, 11:32 (Ref:328110)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It takes away alot of excitement. Basically they are all big boys (yes, even Kimi fits the definition in this context) and they all know how to operate a Formula 1 racingcar.

And the threat of danger plus the speed, is what makes the sport interesting anyway.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 11:57 (Ref:328118)   #4
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there at Spa 2000 and i was robed of a beautiful start!!!good thing there was this nice overtaking move of Hakkinen
Old 6 Jul 2002, 12:20 (Ref:328126)   #5
Aussiefan

IMO rolling starts don't require the skill of a standing start although it can be said that some skill has been taken out due to launch control. I agree with others that rolling starts aren't as exciting.

I think if the weather conditions are bad enough to warrant it, ok, but from memory Spa 2000 wasn't bad enough, we've seen races start in much worse conditions.

Old 6 Jul 2002, 12:43 (Ref:328140)   #6
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats not racing. If the drivers can't be sensible enuff to start a wet race they shouldn't have a super licence
Old 6 Jul 2002, 12:50 (Ref:328143)   #7
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I don't agree with safety car starting races.

They're supposed to be the best racing drivers in the world and should be able to handle a few puddles.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:328147)   #8
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they can be good if everything's safe....maybe on some fast track...it would be great if Monza didn't have those chicanes...and if they were starting from the longest straight...so, no way.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 18:08 (Ref:328276)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, with the safety car leading the field, it eliminates all the passing in the starts, as the field is much more spread out...

People raced at the Nordschleife in the 60's under rain and fog, didn't they?
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:34 (Ref:328388)   #10
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think safety car starts are less exciting, but I also hate seeing half the field disappearing at the first corner, even if it does help Minardi finish in the points! I don't want to see a race being run by backmarkers.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 02:39 (Ref:328450)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't agree with safety car starts. I understant that sometimes it's might be dangerous, but egad, they are the best drivers in the world and shouldn't be causing accidents in the first place!!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 02:59 (Ref:328454)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think we have been through this topic before, probably even had a poll, and the general consensus was that the present starting system is by far the best and most popular choice with forum members. There was geat discussion about this. Sure there are other ways of starting to make it safer, less likely to have a prang, but most agreed that in the present conditions of F1 where overtaking is difficult, the current system of starts affords a great opportunity for cars inproving on their grid positions after the start. I wouldn't want any change.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:33 (Ref:328558)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course CART's rolling starts are exciting, but in that the cars run 2 by 2 with lots of close action, and if the field isn't properly aligned the start doesn't happen. That is exciting but less so than standing starts.

Standing starts are always the most exciting moment, the sight and sound of the engines roaring, 88 (well 84 today) tyres squealing into life, trying to spot the good and bad starts is the greatest spectacle in any sport. Launch control reduces the spectacle and the competitive edge for the driver (I remember when it was first introduced Irvine commented that 'some guy in the factory made a great start', summing up what a pain ti is for a real racer to lose the thrill of a manual start), but its still awesome, and the rolling start brigade are in my mind misguided.

For very wet races its an option but not the right one, most driver injuries and fatalities over the year have been 2 car crashes at the most.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:36 (Ref:328561)   #14
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its a test of a driver not to crash or nerf anyone in the wet, however you must consider that we dont want to see horrific crashes in the wet and drivers getting hurt. i must say that spa 98', the only race i saw from the start - ws both exhilarating and worrying thinking someone must have died. everybody was very lucky to get away with the pile up. its an open ended question with complicated answers and arguments.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 7 Jul 2002, 11:29 (Ref:328601)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
In Spa 1998 maybe it was necessary, but from then people was just scared and in 2000 it was just wet...

I hope it rains in a race someday, and they don't start under the safety car