Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:14 (Ref:333721)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael's strike rate

Does anyone know what Michael's strike rate is?

From his first 100 races, how many did he win?
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:15 (Ref:333722)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some, but not as much as Rossi!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:22 (Ref:333731)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Its Rossi i want to compare it with. See who is better.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:29 (Ref:333734)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He won 26 of his first 100 Grands Prix.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:58 (Ref:333746)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Rossi won 46. So Rossi is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more talented
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:30 (Ref:333889)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeeess Rossi is the man, and doesn't need team orders!!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:28 (Ref:333922)   #7
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see him in an F1 test. Perhaps he could join Colin and Michael, and make it a 3 way test.

Rossi also has one of the coolest helmet designs you're likely to see;

Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:39 (Ref:333927)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shall I move this thread to the Bikes Forum?
Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:56 (Ref:333931)   #9
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.

Who is better Rossi or Schumi. I say Rossi, I do not watch the races but that man is a god. He has won every championship that he has attempted on his second go (let me know if I am wrong), and he is a great performer (in the comic form)
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:40 (Ref:333956)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know for a fact that, just like Schu, Rossi has had the privilege on the superior bike for most of his career. Last years 500cc NSR was far superior to anything else (and is proving capable in the hands of Barros and Capirossi this year, who lead home the two-strokes at every race) while this year, Rossi has the unbeatable Honda four-stroke. Unbeatable? Ukawa is his team-mate and the only other rider to win a race.

However, Rossi is probably a better character. He plays up to the crowd, particularly with his celebrations, and in the junior formula (meaning 125cc and 250cc) he dominated and won each at his second attempt - he won the 125cc in 1997, 250cc in 1999 and 500cc in 2001.

Each man at the moment is the superior in their class of racing, each ride/drive the best machinery around. There are differences in style and persona, but they are both as good as each other.

Oh, and Rossi has won 50% of all races he's entered.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 02:00 (Ref:333963)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1manoz:"I know for a fact that, just like Schu, Rossi has had the privilege on the superior bike for most of his career"

Sorry...but where do you get THAT fact?? Even if we try to be generous, i can only at max claim that half of Schumacher's career is blessed with superior cars... but even that is a little hard to swollow when the 2000 Mclaren and 94 OR 95 Williams being as strong. but even claiming those years Ferrari had the superior car... i can only count 5 (94,95,00,01,02)...considering 10 years in service...?

ha..but that said, both are wonderful talents in their respective sports and great achievers... the reason why they got the best machinery now is simply because they worked hard and earned it. They are talented and good enough for it. They deserved it. Who cares which of the 2 are better? We just need to know they are the best in their own fields.

Last edited by Gt_R; 15 Jul 2002 at 02:01.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 06:20 (Ref:334012)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Gt_R, I DID say 'most'

Rossi has had the best bike by far for all his career in the top echelon of the sport, except for perhaps in 2000 when Roberts won on the Suzuki, but the Honda and Suzuki were fairly even that year, but Rossi was a rookie so that was his excuse!

Schu, like most drivers, doesn't get a top drive straight away, but the Benettons in 92-95 were all race winners (the 94 Benetton far superior to the Williams, while the 95 cars were even) while the only really bad Ferrari he has driven was in 1997.

But I will agree with your final comments. Let's just bask in the excitement of watching two supreme masters go about their business, even though at times it can be very dull!!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 07:53 (Ref:334045)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"most" would mean more than 50% of his career (which at last count it is not) and "even" doesn't qualify as "superior"

The only really bad Ferrari is not just that in 97...but that in 96. It's a really poor piece of machinery which suffers from reliability, poor aero, ill handling, and lack of power from a new V10. The 97 is bad too as the basis of the car developement was done by Barnard, which had no clue to Schumacher's style. The first real project handled by the new guys of Brawn and Bryne came in 98...but that was the formative years...and horror oh horrow... the Mclarens were a couple of seconds quicker. Only in 2000 is the Ferrari really on par with Mclaren on pace, handling and aero, while good reliability starts to built up from 98.

Considering your definitions with 'race-winners', JPM must be a real lucky guy to start his career with 2 seasons of race-winners (it did win race(s) in 2001 and 2002) I couldn't really believe how other people (not you) actually believe Michael is lucky to have great cars under his bum for a huge part, if not whole, of his career and actually complain that JPM had it tough with uncompetitive machinery... LOL. Comparitively, JPM had it easy.

P.S did it ever occur to you that some so called 'race-winners' are only winners hugely (not purely, but mostly ) thanks to the ability/commitment of MS?

Last edited by Gt_R; 15 Jul 2002 at 07:55.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:39 (Ref:334129)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Youve got to give it to Rossi surely !!!..the guy is outstanding . Of course it goes without saying that Michael is a awesome talent and all that , but Rossi just plays games with the other riders just to keep himself interested .

For me Rossi is more talented , and he also doesnt hide behind other riders for help . He just goes out there and wins.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 10:52 (Ref:334145)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
yep - he is the greatest. And he punched Biaggi, the self styled Emperor on the nose
I have followed Rossi from his very first season, and I have always marvelled at his ability to lean over more than anyone else in corners, wet or dry. Sensational. I just hope EERO doesn't pull this thread.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 15 Jul 2002, 20:24 (Ref:334484)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

The only really bad Ferrari is not just that in 97...but that in 96.
Agreed on the F310 of 1996, it was not a championship contending car, but how can you say that the F310B of 1997 was a really bad car? It took TGF's contention for the WDC all the way to the final round in Jerez, the only thing that was really bad about it was that it didn't do a better job of disabling JV's FW19!

Last edited by Mr V; 15 Jul 2002 at 20:24.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 21:24 (Ref:334521)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Rossi's better. And the only year he's had a dominant bike is this year, and the Yamahas of Checa and Biaggi are coming closer.

Bikes are way more equal than F1s...
Old 15 Jul 2002, 21:27 (Ref:334522)   #18
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi by far. He doesn't need to be ALLOWED to win by his team, like TGF does. I wonder if you buy a Ferrari roadcar and you are racing a Porsche if the Ferrari will stop 30 meters before the finish line and let the Porsche win?

Last edited by rollhoop; 15 Jul 2002 at 21:28.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 21:37 (Ref:334530)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rollhoop
Rossi by far.
He doesn't need to be ALLOWED to win by his team, like TGF does.
thats my thoughts exactly !
Old 15 Jul 2002, 23:12 (Ref:334599)   #20
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi is definitely the one of the 2 i like best, simply because he appears more grounded than Schumacher. He knows that he could easily blast off in front of everyone and win by miles but realises that this would disappoint the fans. I heard the commentators on sunday saying that Rossi prefers to race than just disappear over the horizon! plus could you ever imagine Schumacher letting his fans come onto the track to celebrate with him after he's won?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 06:03 (Ref:334709)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
Rossi prefers to race than just disappear over the horizon! plus could you ever imagine Schumacher letting his fans come onto the track to celebrate with him after he's won?
On your first comment, I'll completely agree. Anyone who watched Assen two weekends ago watched Rossi stay behind Barros for lap after lap, even though he could have blown by at any time. Rossi was basically having fun with Barros, but it kept the excitement there. Same thing at Donington when Rossi just followed Checa around, and even though Checa did throw it down the road, Rossi had him covered fairly easily.

But as for the second comment, F1 doesn't allow track invasions. And as for MotoGP, at Donington the riders stopped at the first corner and turned around because the track invasions are becoming worrisome, particularly for guys like Rossi who are immensely popular and thousands try to stop him.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:07 (Ref:334824)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
What race was it this season where Rossi lost to Ukawa because it would have been boring for Rossi to drive off into the distance that he decieded to "race" Ukawa and made a mistake and Ukawa won?

Forget Rossi vs TGF, i would like to see Rossi vs Doohan!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:16 (Ref:334829)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Mr V,

That was at Welkom in South Africa, where Ukawa actually rode rather well, and forced Rossi into the mistake on the final lap which handed him his first MotoGP victory. But since then Ukawa has not been able to match Rossi consistently.

And yes, Rossi v Doohan would be fantastic, but how about we throw Duke, Read, Agostini, Surtees, Hailwood, Rainey, Schwantz, Roberts Sr, Lawson, Sheene into the mix
Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:19 (Ref:334830)   #24
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't really compare a biker and an F1 driver. You need different skills to do either thing.

M Schumacher's the best anyway.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:19 (Ref:334831)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Agreed that Ukawa rode ver well, and proberbly drove a closer race to Rossi than anyother rider in anyother race this season, but my point was that that was Valentino's race to win, i got the impression that had he pushed harder in the earlier stages as opposed to "playing?" with Ukawa, he'sd have won easily. Not trying to take anything away from Ukawa though!