Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jul 2000, 00:34 (Ref:23419)   #1
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I read in Autosport about the British LSR being broken and that the bloke, Colin Fallows, 'smashed his previous 269mph target'.

So how come the 300mph dragsters that run in Top Fuel haven't held the LSR in this country? Or have they?
Old 16 Jul 2000, 00:59 (Ref:23426)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think it is probably due to the fact that LSR records have to do an average twice over mile lenths within the hour, most dragsters do not do this as they run a standing 1/4.

As a side issue i noted while dredgeing back though old Motor Sports a Bently Speed Six holds most of the enduance speed records. Our Tiff holds the fastest speed in a road car in a Mc F1.

Old 16 Jul 2000, 02:03 (Ref:23440)   #3
Graham
Veteran

So why do they have to do two runs when ultimate speed is the goal?
Old 16 Jul 2000, 02:10 (Ref:23443)   #4
Graham
Veteran

Funny how no drag team has thought of doing two runs within the hour to get some nice publicity...

Does a drag engine need rebuilding after each run? Sparky? Anyone?
Old 16 Jul 2000, 12:29 (Ref:23478)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Franklin would be sooo annoyed with us
Old 16 Jul 2000, 19:38 (Ref:23532)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I done a little research on this, on the web

I can see why nobody does an attempt for publicity, there is none. Even Colin Fallows own web page is not updated.

The speed was 300.3 MPH, this was an average of two runs over a measured distance, I could not find out if it was a 1/4, 1/2 or mile. This was not a terminal speed.

The car was a Dragster diven by Colin who has been involved in the Drag Racing scene for years, powered by a jet engine from a Red Devils aircraft, brought in 1980 for £500.

A second record was made on the same day 78.4 mph on a Triumph Daytona to take the UK motorbike record.....

.....for a blind rider

Simon
Old 16 Jul 2000, 21:52 (Ref:23549)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all.

I believe a drag outfit cannot be eligible for LSR as the speeds have to be measured over a mile, in each direction (to average outwind, incline etc). Obviously, as a drag car only accelerates to it's terminal speed, and doesn't sustain it, this is not acceptable to LSR authorities. Also, we don't have any drag facilities in the UK that are long enough for LSR testing.

Graham, any drag machine capable of 300mph will certainly need an engine teardown after each run even if it is just to check for damage or wear that would certainly destroy itself on any subsequent runs. However, this is not necessarily a problem for a Top-Fuel team, who will be well versed in the art of engine teardown and reassembly, and should easily be able to present the car for another run within the hour.

However, I believe the engines are too delicate to sustain speed for the measured mile, let alone the acceleration to, and deceleration from, the speed attained.

If you start engineering in the strength to sustain speed, you are approaching LSR standards of engine preparation, and further from drag technology. Also, the large diameter slicks that drag teams use are built that way to increase in diameter during acceleration, and are not really suitable for sustained speed.

I believe my details are correct. Franklin would have a field day with my words I expect!
Old 17 Jul 2000, 06:29 (Ref:23624)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just got a note from Mr F.

He asked me to tell you all that LSR and drag racing is a waste of time and that if you can't appreciate the advances and skills involved in F1 and Cart you are obviously all know-nothings.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 06:39 (Ref:23628)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Whats a drag car??

Whats a land speed record?

How much hair do you think Fraklin would have left after this display?
Old 18 Jul 2000, 13:12 (Ref:23885)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not sure if the FIA version of drag racing is the same as most in the US, but the top classes do indeed tear down their motors after every run.

A typical top fuel or funny car engine uses nitromethane for fuel. This stuff is very corrosive on aluminum components. If nothing breaks during the run, then the engine will have its heads removed and all the valves and springs replaced. It will be retimed as well. The clutch will be pulled and replaced with a unit rebuilt trackside after every run. Most of the teams now have an engine rotation program in effect at the track. They pull the motor and replace it with a rebuilt unit done at the track. This has become the norm because the teams only get 78 minutes to be ready for their next run.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 18:11 (Ref:23933)   #11
Graham
Veteran

I see. Back to the jet powered semi-dragsters then...

So who's Franklin?