Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2003, 08:50 (Ref:512218)   #1
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most likely

Lets have a see how the teams would fair against their closest rival. Do tell why and which would be the best choice.

Pls note that i made the groupings after last season's performance.

1.Williams - McLaren
Williams should have converted their their extra leverage (engine power) over other's. While The Macs like always a great chassis builder, the engine that powered them is not that great.

I predict that the Macs would have the upperhand this season.

2.Sauber - Renault
Looking at the close relationship that Sauber and Ferrari have, Sauber could be a strong contender against the Renault team for the fourth spot. I say this because i don't see Renault in the top three just yet.

Sauber is my choice

3.Jaguar - Toyota
Towards the end of last season, Jaguar have shown great improvements as achieved by Irvine. So it's no suprise if they do well this year.

It'll be Jaguar.

4.BAR - Jordan - Minardi
This is the most exciting combo, hard to say which..

I say Jordan.

Well...it's only my opinion, which would you pick?
Old 20 Feb 2003, 10:57 (Ref:512298)   #2
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a fully worksengine, I would line up BAR against Toyota and Jaguar. Certainly not against Minardi.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 11:09 (Ref:512307)   #3
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say BAR vs Renault vs Sauber for 4th spot....Jaques is gonna do stuff this year! and HONDA *better* get their act going.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 11:21 (Ref:512310)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams V macs....even closer than last year i think!

Sauber V renault...renault will continue to improve(or they damn well should!) while sauber(a privateer car with a semi works motor) can't make any more big jumps on their budget

Jag V toyota V BAR V jordan....Toyota continued improvement,jaguar slowley downhill,Bar..who the hell knows?Maybe their car will be heaps better but didn't geoff willis design last years williams?Jordan will mix with this lot,even with a fair bit less folding stuff

Minardi V the repossesors...
Old 20 Feb 2003, 11:42 (Ref:512321)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Bar..who the hell knows?Maybe their car will be heaps better but didn't geoff willis design last years williams?
FW24 which was second only to the Ferrari! How is that a bad car?

Williams/McLaren can't really call, because we haven't seen the new McLaren. If I had to bet I'd go for Williams, but only out of loyalty to my fave team & driver.

Renault wil be far too much for Sauber - a much more powerful and integrated team than Sauber. If Renault ever get their engines reliable nd up to full speed the bign three had better watch out - they manage quite nicely 10% down on power... just think how well they'd go with equal power.

Toyota are going places I think - most improved team award on its way to them. aguar will struggle without proper management. Jordan will be also-rans without a lot more money.

BAR is a big question - they have at last got several things right - great designer, good looking car, top drivers (although they weren't exactly short with JV/Panis)... Honda is the doubt though. If Toyota blitz Honda in 2003 (as I think they might) I wonder how badly that will dent Honda's resolve.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 12:00 (Ref:512330)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Renault and Toyota will improve.

BAR and Jaguar maybe.

Jordan... downhill.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 12:09 (Ref:512334)   #7
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is an insult to Jordan. Jukebox we may have to fall out.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 12:40 (Ref:512347)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Harldy an insult for him to say that Jordan will get the better of BAR - complete fantasy maybe, but not an insult!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 13:38 (Ref:512379)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Don't wipe Toyota out of the equation. This year will see a few surprises spring up: two out of Jaguar, Honda and Toyota could surprise and jump Sauber and Renault. Here's hoping for a closer and more exciting year.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 14:19 (Ref:512392)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DOn't agree with you there Glen, the Williams CHASSIS was nowhere near as good as the Ferrari one, or even the McLaren one, it was Mercedes' failure and Montoya's intermittant brilliance whcih made for a respectable season for Williams. The battle this year comes down to whether Mercedes have improved their act, how much Kimi has imprvoed, and whether Montoya can take more advantage of the car being designed around his style than Ralf will lose from its oversteering. All the same, Williams are my guess for second.

I think Renault will beat Sauber quite easily, as they have impressed in testing, and F1 is slipping away from enthusiastic privateer teams like Sauber.

Toyota's excellent testing form and impressive driver lineup should see them forge ahead of Jaguar, who I expect to be last of the 7 works-funded teams. Two inexperienced drivers was in my mind a mistake they will suffer for - enthusiasm wasn't the problem (unlike Sauber in 2000, where Nick and Kimi rejouvinated the squad), they just lacked organisation and composure.

I expect BAR's competitive situation between the drivers, advantage of gelled Dave Richards operation, and the full support of Honda, should give them a big advantage over the two skint private squads, no matter how good Giancarlo is.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 15:25 (Ref:512435)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macs over Williams. So far the F25 has looked less than spectacular. Even the drivers seem to be having some doubt. Hopefully they dont have to pull a Jag. This sounds like a developmental year for them.

Renault should start the season strongly. Maybe they will be far ahead of the rest, Sauber, Toyota, BAR. However I feel Toyota will be the team that takes the early fight to them. I dont expect anything spectacular from BAR in Melbourne. A new untested motor (in a car) is not a formula for success. I think it will be mapped in Imola but three or four days is hardly enough, I dont think. If they pull it off, I think Renault and Sauber will be in for a surprise; and by the end of the season Williams too!

As for the other teams I feel Jordan will be a regular midfield fighter too. Minardi dont seem to be in the same league even with the Ford. Jaguar broke a track record the other day. I find that a bit suspicious. This car is supposed to be more conservative in order to have a better base to build on. IMO they are the wild card. Besides BAR, they are the team I hope raises a few eyebrows!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 22:52 (Ref:512919)   #12
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan will beat BAR yet again.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 04:21 (Ref:513067)   #13
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mac over Williams
Comment: see Neilap, Booth

Renault over Sauber
Comment: Renault has a more complete inhouse package by itself while Sauber is like a puzzle(with parts from Ferrari) which may not work as coherently as the former.

Toyota over Jag
recent form of testing. ALTHOUGH IT IS ONLY TESTING, note the time posted by Panis: mid-1:15 . This is a magnificent one, folks

BAR
DR is a good manager. He is accountant by occupation, experienced in the field of motorsports. Coupling both skills together, he knows how to run a team properly.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 04:32 (Ref:513906)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Yeah...sorry to all Honda fans, yup i'm wrong...BAR should be up there against Jaguar and Toyota.

That leaves for cash strapped duos Minardi and Jordan...that Jordan really look promising
Old 22 Feb 2003, 16:40 (Ref:514196)   #15
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Moon Monkey
BAR beat Jordan two out of the last three years and they've only been in F1 four years. You make it sound as though Jordan regularly beat BAR by miles, which they don't.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 22:06 (Ref:514388)   #16
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR and Jordan were very close last year. I don't think Jordan has the budget to keep up. They may be quick at the start of the season, but they will fall behind as the other teams develope their cars and engines.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 22:14 (Ref:514393)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
We really have to see what spec engine Jordan gets this year. My impression is that BAR has the potential to improve a lot this year, but Jordan does not have the same opportunities because of financial constraints and lack of an official factory engine supply. EJ would be pushing to beat Sauber this year, more the pity for Fisi.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 22:45 (Ref:514418)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Moon Monkey
Well I dont know the future but this is one of the more unlikely senarios. Jordan may be faster in Melbourne but that may be the extent of things. Honda seems to be putting more into their motor than ever. Also they are actively involved in chassis development, maybe more so than any other "engine supplier". Personally, I think by the end of the season BAR will look like the most promising team to challenge "the establishment" in 2004.

Damn, thats pretty bold huh? However they have the talent, money and they have Honda. IMO the only other team that will make these kind of strides will be Toyota (as much as I hope not).