Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Jul 2003, 21:41 (Ref:662316)   #1
Skippy
Rookie

Skippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting Accreditation to events

I know about approaching local papers for a letter of introduction, but that has become a dead end. But I am a fully trained and accredited Australian Motorsport Marshal. Would this be enough to get accreditation to say Brands at a club level event? Or am i going to need a press accreditation?

Any tips for getting inside the fence as a photographer and not as a marshal.

Also any good events comming up in the South East you guys can suggest i attend?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 08:00 (Ref:662555)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would say it could be quite difficult to receive a photographers pass unless you can prove that you are snapping for a publication. I however am fortunate to have MSA accreditation due to my profession as a Motorsports artist. Most of my work is painted for competitors and teams and I need to get my reference shots - not all trackside action shots but also close ups in the pit lane and assembly areas too for the small details.

To show how difficult it can be, at the beginning of the year, Octagon / Brands Hatch Circuits were unwilling to help as I am not true 'press' despite having given me a season media pass last season. 'Change of policy' they said.

However the MSA are well aware of my work and have been for many years and were very helpful in providing a 2003 season media pass. This MSA credential from the 'mother ship' generally helps with access at most events, even at the Octagon circuits now.

I can imagine that the response from Brands would be 'yes' you can go on the bank if you are marshalling but not as a photographer unless you have a job to do.

Good luck, hope you get accreditation.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:50 (Ref:663294)   #3
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skippy try to get hooked up with a Magaziene or Motorsport publication in Australia. Send them the best stuff you can, don't charge for it, let them offer you what they normally pay. Once you get hooked up with somebody they then will give you a letter confirming that you are working for them and usually the organizers will give you a pass.
When I started in this game in 1958 I supplied photos on spec to all three newspapers after every race. It took 1 year of doing this until I got hooked up with one paper and then got assigned to cover every race in the area. After that I also freelanced for about 20 different Magaziens all over the world.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:55 (Ref:663566)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There aren't that many motorsport publications in Australia that use lower level international stuff. Most of them get hooked up with LAT or Suttons etc and get everything through them.

I've working for various publications for a while now, and recently been in charge of media at a few events. Different organisers (and media liasons) have different ideas about what should go on. For instance, one has a policy of you needing to prove the commericial value of your work. Fair enough for most situations, and can sort out the weeds. My personal opinion on lower level events is that if somone is doing non-commercial work, they pay to get in, but provided that they have a purpose, they can sign a disclaimer and go nuts.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:57 (Ref:663567)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually one recent rally in a forrestry area required photographers to pay a fee to the government to work on their land... best bit was that the fee was more than spectator admission! That kind of scared off a lot of people...
Old 17 Jul 2003, 16:12 (Ref:664076)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For photographers, they have to really picky as trackside access is dangerous, and someone who doesn't know what their doing could easily do something or move somewhere that would be quite dangerous...such as on a live track or pitlane...it's not always that obvious too. I think what's most important with photo credentials is not so much the publication (tracks can be as picky as they want) that the photographers know what their doing and are well briefed at teh photographers meeting (there usually is one at Canadian event, and if you don't go to it, you won't get the access).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:25 (Ref:666559)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've had fruitless attempts at getting local acrediatation but I'll keep on banging on till somebody lets me in
Old 22 Jul 2003, 13:49 (Ref:668331)   #8
Skippy
Rookie

Skippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After some scratching around, and some advice from people, I might have a way in. But what should a letter of introcudtion from a publication/media/manufacturer say? What are the special words that need to be put in to get the accreditation