Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Sep 2003, 12:53 (Ref:709102)   #1
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which Motorsport Mag's the best?

I've not purchased any motorsport publications for some time, save, Aust. Motorcycle News.

I used to read Auto Action and Motorsport News. What do people think is THE publication to read, these days?

I mostly get my news from either Racetime News, Ten's RPM or whatever the Herald-Sun/The Age care to throw our way, and this forum (the newsgroup aus.sport.motor is pretty well stuffed, these days).
Old 5 Sep 2003, 12:58 (Ref:709107)   #2
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Muscle Car is the best magazine on the market at the moment IMO.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 13:29 (Ref:709136)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News
Old 5 Sep 2003, 22:40 (Ref:709645)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News should be weekly.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 5 Sep 2003, 22:44 (Ref:709649)   #5
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News is heads and shoulders above AA in content and unbiased editorial unfortunately AA goes for sensationalism on the front cover with nothing inside to back it up at least you can get a free read in the newsagents in very little time
Old 5 Sep 2003, 22:59 (Ref:709657)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Motorsport News actually has some detail behind the headlines, there is almost always a new scoop about something significant each week, with a proper look at the players and the implications.

And the race reports are better as well, the Mallala Konicas didnt even rate a preview in AA, and only ended up with a 1 1/2 page roundup that said not much, while MN went to as much trouble as a normal VCS round.

We could talk about V8X, but other than the pics, it has no content of note (well except the interesting Stan the Man, and the Racer X series).

The 4th publication is actually RaceFax, which has a collection of team movements, idle speculation, and information borrowed. Any good, well it seems to keep a few people round here amused, but there are often factual inaccuracies that creep in that good sub-editing would have been able to tidy up.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:18 (Ref:709667)   #7
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have stopped buying AA due to a severe lack of content.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:18 (Ref:709668)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jon Evans (AA) used to write some damn good V8 reports - but then got nobbled by the AA editorial directions to keep his reports under a specific size. Whether this has been changed with Foges in charge or not isn't clear, but Evan's reporting has clearly suffered from what used to be very good indepth reporting to a superficial glance at what happens on the surface.

RaceFax has a reupation at tracks for 'bludging' on anything available - it is common knowledge amongst track operators that if RaceFax is let near the photo copier you eill eithr run out of paper, tomer or suffer extensive delays whilst the machine is fixed, cleared and/or repaired. Items appearing in ti are more often than not 'gleaned' from elsewhere with little or no credit for their source.....
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:30 (Ref:709678)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your second point is nicely put RaceFax
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:44 (Ref:709685)   #10
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Motorsport News is the best. A bit less sensationist than AA and a better coverage of the whole of Motorsport as distinct from V8 supercars.AA has improved since the departure of an Editor who was less motor sport orientated ( as opposed to motoring in general) than the current one.The Round the World section is a good idea. Personally I would prefer to see them both drop the motorcycle coverage and give more coverage to domestic Open Wheelers FF, F4000 and F3. I dont see anything about car racing in Motorcycle News!perhaps the same with drag racing.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 00:20 (Ref:709697)   #11
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport wins hands down if it's regular at time it seems to be held up for more news.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 00:51 (Ref:709708)   #12
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know there are a few people waiting for me to bite!
I have subscribed to racefax for the last 3 years, and can not remember reading info that was not factual, or borrowed from elsewhere. This is a sole person and his total livelihood you are knocking here.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:15 (Ref:709720)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Bite, dont bite... your posting is of your own volition.

There are details in that paricular publication which are factually incorrect when they are released. Are they knowingly incorrect, or accidentally incorrect? I am not sure exactly, but either way it is not absolutely perfect, despite some assertions.

We shouldnt be too quick to throw mud at AVESCO just because they have dozens of employees, and then be too scared to comment directionally about a business who is a sole trader....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:21 (Ref:709722)   #14
sevi
Veteran

The bite bit was aimed at person/s who may not be a poster on this forum, if they are I do not know.
Each to their own on which publication they read and enjoy, I for one prefer to read racefax and get info out of there that the others do not have. Simply because I am not interested in reading about the other catagories.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:38 (Ref:709725)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Auto Action, Sports Car and Racer, Australian Classic Car Magazine, Australian Muscle Car, The Oily Rag and Street Machine, although I'm probably biased
Old 6 Sep 2003, 01:49 (Ref:709728)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Arguably Penthouse was a motoring magazine too when Peter McKay used to do feature stories in there
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Sep 2003, 03:09 (Ref:709774)   #17
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree with Mjt, Aust. Motocycle News is a great publication. On the motorsport front though Motorsport news wins hands down. Also love reading racefax. Well done Mr Whitlock.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 03:54 (Ref:709788)   #18
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interrestingly Crikey .com has a positive story on the pulling power of V8 supercars saying how Marcus Ambrose has single handedly dramatically increased Falcons Sales Crikey in the past have been very critical of the amount of Government money spent on V8 Supercars
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:36 (Ref:709797)   #19
paydriver
Rookie

paydriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-Auto Fiction is for sensation, tittilation, for teasing.
- Motorsport Noise is for analysis and understanding the important details of any motorsport issue.
- V8x is for perving at the girls
- RaceFax is for... I really dont know what RaceFax is for, other than to annoy the team owners whose dirty washing gets aired in public without validation
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:38 (Ref:709799)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I read that crikey.com article, and a few others about the Gold Coast Indy race... some of the detail is lacking, and the writing style is quite slanted... disappointing because an unbiased presentation of the facts is likely to bring the reader to draw the same conclusions anyway
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:44 (Ref:709802)   #21
sevi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paydriver
-

- RaceFax is for... I really dont know what RaceFax is for, other than to annoy the team owners whose dirty washing gets aired in public without validation
That description sounds like forums to me.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:44 (Ref:709803)   #22
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And team owners dirty washing doesn`t get aired in here without any validation?
Old 6 Sep 2003, 04:59 (Ref:709809)   #23
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read both AA and MSN. MSN has better content, however I wish they released it weekly. The back page of auto action is pretty good though lmao.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 05:31 (Ref:709822)   #24
paydriver
Rookie

paydriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good part about forums though is that they can be shut down... like some other place I used to play at which is sadly not feeling well right now....
Old 6 Sep 2003, 05:41 (Ref:709829)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
MN would be better as a weekly, but would potentially fall into the trap of AA, and lose editorial integrity for short soundbyte headlines

In terms of which of the 2 main locla publications is more successful, take a look at how many advertisers there are in MN these days, blows the other one away....
#CANCERSUCKS