Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:27 (Ref:717521)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very misleading ad for the USGP on Speed

By using intercuts of the "Trading Paint" event in which Jeff Gordon (A NA$CAR DRIVER) got a chance to drive the Williams F1 at "Indy", Speed Channel are suggesting in their ads for the USGP that Jeff Gordon will be driving in the USGP.

What is going to happen when the rednecks show up and discover that Jeff Gordon has nothing at all to do with the USGP and in fact won't even be there as a spectator?
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:32 (Ref:717526)   #2
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, you never know with the current BAR situation according to JV...perhaps it'll be Sato in Japan, and Gordon in the US of A ? :0
Old 13 Sep 2003, 15:47 (Ref:717571)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh maybe Ral(f or ph) will still have inner ear problems.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 17:51 (Ref:717636)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't really get that impression , but you could be right. I think Speed is just trying to build the excitement up for the USGP, afterall in the commercial, Jeff is obviously extremely excited after having driven the Williams car, hell he's more excited than a kid in a toy store. That excitement should translate to the viewer, I know it did for me.

Personally,I like the commercial, it shows a NASCAR guy getting excited over something other than NASCAR, something I was sure you would approve of Liz!

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Sep 2003, 17:57 (Ref:717640)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only people who would be mislead by this ad would be those who are not fans of motorsport. And the chances of non-motorsport fans going to a motorsport event I can only imagine would be very slim.
The only thing this ad is guilty of is being 'Good Marketing', something that NA$CAR (heaven forbid they should make a profit) is very good at.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Sep 2003, 21:13 (Ref:717852)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who are not familiar with Formula One or any form of racing outside the Busch Series would be misled by believing that because Jeff can drive a truck or other kinds of NA$CAR vehicles, he can drive a Formula One car in a race too. At least that is my impression.

Personally I like to see enthusiasam like that -- I think Jeff Gordon is just one of those guys who loves to go fast -- I saw him climb out of that rally car that Gronholm had rolled, and he (Gordon) looked ready to go again.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 02:08 (Ref:717968)   #7
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the US GP advertising, there are two probabilities:
One: Jeff Gordon will land to the probably vacant seat at BAR (left by JV) or rent a Jordan or a Minardi.
Two: Jeff Gordon will test a F1 car during the Indy weekend. This is the most probably for me.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 06:00 (Ref:718094)   #8
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Speed is now nothing more than Nascar TV with that other "stuff" between Speed News Nascar Edition and Trackside at _______ (fill in Winston Cup track name here), why not capitalize on Jeff Gordon?

Speed will have it's normal F1 crowd but are probably hoping to get more than a 1.0 TV rating on home soil. Also after that joke of a finish last year Jeff Gordon was the best footage they had from Indy.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 07:12 (Ref:718148)   #9
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am the organizer for the event. As a gift to the users of this forum, I will let you in on the plans IF you all promise to keep it a secret.

Jeff Gordon will indeed race in this event, but it won't be in a F1 car; he will be driving his NASCAR wheels. We feel that this will liven up the event a touch.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 07:51 (Ref:718190)   #10
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What on earth are you talking about? Jeff Gordon, driving his NASCAR in an F1 race!
Don’t you mean Jeff Gordon driving his NASCAR wheels at the same venue as an F1 event, on the same day. But NOT in the race.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 08:03 (Ref:718196)   #11
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...yes.

Jeff Gordon WILL be running his NASCAR at the same time as the F1 cars.

We think it's a brave new style of racing. Next year, we plan on having a few AUDI R8's in the mix, too.

We call it Formula Unlimited in defiance of Bernie Ecclestone.

Or FU Bernie!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:59 (Ref:719373)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With any luck alot of redneck gordan fans will take it out on bernie or max
Not their fault? oh well,too bad for them
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:42 (Ref:719411)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't know Liz, but I must have seen that commercial a dozen times now, and your interpretation never occured to me. Of course I must also say that I recalled Jeff Gordon's "road test" of the F1 car also which many viewers may be unaware of. It is interesting that they are advertising seats so heavily so close to the event. Anyone got any info on the advance sale?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 13:22 (Ref:719535)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They all know that Jeff will be at Talladega. I will be watching Talladega instead of Indy.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:07 (Ref:719561)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Restrictor plate race! No thank you.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"