Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who will drive for Williams in 2005?
Juan-Pablo Montoya, why leave? 17 36.96%
Giancarlo Fisichella 1 2.17%
Mark Webber 9 19.57%
Antonio Pizzonia 1 2.17%
Bruno Junqueira 2 4.35%
Jenson Button 5 10.87%
David Coulthard 0 0%
Marko Asmer 3 6.52%
Michael Schumacher Jr. 1 2.17%
Hugo Hakkinen 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:41 (Ref:716148)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I was Monty's double

So we all know the rumours about JPM going to McLaren for 2005. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it's a bargaining tool at Williams and that he'll stay put. But if he does leave, who replaces him at Williams?

Giancarlo Fisichella? Known to be admired by Sir Frank, and desperate for a chance to prove himself in a top team, so he'd be cheap, of which Sir Frank and patrick heartily approve.

Mark Webber? Almost an ideal Williams-style driver; honest, straightforward, no-nonsense and bloody quick, with proven leadership skills and development ability. He might almost BE Alan Jones, and we know how high AJ stands in the Williams pantheon. Could be tied in to Jaguar, though, and Williams won't spend cash buying out a contract.

Antonio Pizzonia? Highly rated by Williams as a test driver, and Sir Frank was deeply surprised by how soundly Webber spanked him at Jaguar. Perhaps a race seat at Williams (and, again, he'd be cheap) would recapture his sparkle.

Bruno Junqueira? So, so nearly became a Williams driver in 2000, losing out to Button, he knows the team from his testing days and is going increasingly well in CART. By 2005 he could easily be the reigning champion, and Williams have had some success with ex-CART champs (Montoya, Villeneuve) though also some disappointments (Zanardi).

Jenson Button? If BAR continues to disappoint, JB may get itchy feet, and 2000 remains his best season to date. An opportunity for Williams to recapture Mansellmania with an English driver heading for the championship? Button's a more complete and assured driver than he was in 2000, and could do well for Sir Frank.

Outside bet: David Coulthard??? Ah, it was all so easy once. Propelled into F1 by Ayrton Senna's untimely demise, DC was blindingly quick almost out of the box in 1994 and 1995 (give or take the odd rookie mistake). Then he went off to McLaren, and, although the wins still came, the complete package somehow never came together. But he remains fast. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery to rekindle his spark?
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:46 (Ref:716159)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Montoya is the favourite out of that lot.

If not him I don't think it'll be any of the above. I'm not sure who, but Frank has time to decide.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:716162)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted Mark Webber.

Of the candidates you propose, he is the most suitable.

Even, calm temperament, technical awareness and sure-footedness mark him as a future prospect. A couple of podiums would cement him as a coming hot-prospect.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:51 (Ref:716163)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Provided JPM goes to McLaren that is.

Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:21 (Ref:716194)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hugo Hakkinen for me. Although he is about 4 years old, chosing him would be as sensible as these rumours are.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:30 (Ref:716203)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
He can't have much less racing experience than Marko Asmer.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:39 (Ref:716214)   #7
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC's career is over, he'll never win a championship and he'll find it harder to score points with the younger driver maturing, no chance he'll go to Willaims.
I would hope for a British Driver to take his place, Jenson Button deserves to go back.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:42 (Ref:716221)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If JPM does switch it will be VILLENEUVE.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:52 (Ref:716229)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How come Alonso is'nt on the list?
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:58 (Ref:716237)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Maybe because he'll go to Ferrari when MS retires along with Massa??

Old 12 Sep 2003, 12:16 (Ref:716274)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
If JPM does switch it will be VILLENEUVE.
I would be, to paraphrase Stephen Fry, more astonished than a man who believes that Hilaire Belloc is still alive if Villeneuve went to Williams. Quite apart from the fact that it looks like JV will have to sit out 2004 (or go somewhere other than F1), I've seen nothing for years now to suggest that he'd be worth employing by a top team. He's shop-soiled, used goods. I don't think Sir Frank would touch him with a ten-metre cattle prod.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 12:31 (Ref:716326)   #12
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
Hugo Hakkinen for me. Although he is about 4 years old, chosing him would be as sensible as these rumours are.
Start of 2005 will make Hugo four years old. And he has got his own race seat already which the team made for him when he was born. And he's got a little Mercedes racing car in Mika's garage.

I think he's a natural for the job
Old 12 Sep 2003, 13:05 (Ref:716394)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

FW loves JV...
Old 12 Sep 2003, 13:15 (Ref:716407)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If JPM does move on for 2005 i think Webber will be his replacement.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 14:00 (Ref:716446)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
FW loves JV...

he'll still be at minardi in 2005.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 14:11 (Ref:716459)   #16
JR Ewing
Veteran

not that JV you dolt.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 15:11 (Ref:716533)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Maybe because he'll go to Ferrari when MS retires along with Massa??
We dont know that for a fact.

Alonso will be perfect for Williams,he's young a lot of years ahead of him,and ofcourse he's damn quick.Hes got mental toughness, doesnt crack under pressure. Lead the Gp as though hes been winning for years. Perfect guy for a championship fight!!
Williams will be looking at Alonso with interest i'm sure,but so will all the other teams.

If not ALonso then it has to be Webber
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:52 (Ref:716655)   #18
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. I hope Montoya stays put.
2. I think his replacement should be Fisichella or, perhaps, Webber.
3. I think his replacement will be Button.

(And please note that, despite where I live, I didn't mention Asmer. Oops, I just did. Oh well, never mind!)
Old 12 Sep 2003, 17:39 (Ref:716714)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the chance of Villeneuve coming back is much much bigger than the chance of Coulthard coming back...
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:32 (Ref:717279)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

But really, in the honest dept, neither of them will.

Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:38 (Ref:717281)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM won't be going anywhere. And it appears that this poll seems to think Ralf will be staying put. I don't think he's 100% certain of staying either.

Of the names likely to be replacements for either, Mark Webber would be a good choice, Fisichella would be the sentimental favourite, just so he'd finally get a top car.

I think the rest are outsiders, though Junky and Button are always a chance given their history with the Williams team.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 12:21 (Ref:717323)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC!! Definitely it'll be DC,WHOO HOOOOO!!!
Sarcasm of course

Allthough i do aprove of your sense of humour including him,LOL!
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:35 (Ref:717462)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Perhaps, after a creditable showing at Monza, I should have included Marc Gene in the list.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:53 (Ref:717832)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Other than Gene I don't think anyone on the list is a likely replacement for JPM. Exceptions: I guess Webber is certainly possible (he has the ability). Possibly Bruno, but I don't think he's that great.

IMO it would be silly to leave Williams. If there are big personal problems then maybe, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:717857)   #25
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it has to be Hugo Hakinen, in a couple of years time 4 year old drivers will be the next "big thing", the lack of communication never hurt Raikkonens prospects of getting into F1, nor did being a toddler. So easy choice really.

Being serious, Webber is the only remotely likely option aside from JPM himself.