Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Nov 2003, 18:46 (Ref:781292)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manning talks about Walker

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/8869/

Manning admits to some regrets about the way his association with Walker in CART ended.

"That [ride] was funded primarily by CART and a few sponsors that Derrick picked up along the way," he says. "It's a shame. I had a fantastic year with them. They are great bunch of guys I had working on my car. Even though it was a small, skeleton crew, they worked twice as hard to make up for that. It showed. We were fastest practically every time out in pit stops, and they'd walk on fire for me and likewise me for them.

"It's a shame that they are probably a bit uncertain [about next year]. I go over there still a little bit at the moment with only being around the corner from them [in Indianapolis], and they haven't got anybody signed up yet for next year and are not really sure what their future is."
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:07 (Ref:781306)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can be seen that Manning was especially liked by his crew, and so does he.

It's a shame, but if drivers didn't go to big teams, they would stay as unknowns.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:17 (Ref:781313)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Not what I wanted to hear about Walker Racing, though.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:20 (Ref:781316)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From that, it sounds like he made the right choice to move, as there was no guarantee of a ride for 2004, and with Ganassi he should make a big impression. It's a shame the financial position doesn't exist to allow Darren and simialr drivers to succeed.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:21 (Ref:781317)   #5
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who can blame Manning for leaving? If you heard you company might not be there next year or your department might have to lay you off and you had a monster job offer from another company, wouldn't you take it? It's not like he was leaving and started talking bad about CART and tried to take as many people with him as he could *cough* mikey *cough*
Old 12 Nov 2003, 20:19 (Ref:781368)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have nothing against Manning but I would have hung on with my old firm (have done in the past, in fact) rather than take an offer from a large dangerous heartless outfit ... the difference between "Mr. Right" and "Mr. Right Now."

But it's something everyone has to decide for himself.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 20:27 (Ref:781375)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Well... Out of loyalty I've hung on to my old firm for years. And last month my gas got shut off.

Needless to say, that's another story, and I digress.

Personally, (and this ain't meant as no bash), I've got kids now and I would've stayed in CART. Of course, Manning's situation is different, but it's important to me that I'm around to "give them away". Regardless of the money.

(Please: No tobacco comments!)
Old 12 Nov 2003, 20:59 (Ref:781403)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,

I think you have it backwards. Manning was going to be dropped by Walker, as DW told Darren's backers he required at least $1M more to keep him.

Derrick Walker was the money grubber here. And if you look at his history he always has been. He is a walking poster boy for COI. As a board member he sold all his pre-IPO MPH for $10M or so, and he still made decisions that directed millions (over $7M this year alone) into his team. And he even competed in the rival IRL when Tony George was paying cash to do so.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 21:45 (Ref:781434)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have said I have nothing against Manning (we all have to make our own decisions and sometimes a large sum of cash and a gamble that one will live to spend it seems like a good deal to us). I am worried about the fact that he says that the dangerous nature of the IRL is on his mind -- that sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Either it will make him too cautious and he will turn into Geoff Boss and be fired, or it will draw the lightning down ... I don't think a racing driver can think about how dangerous his job is and continue to be a racing driver.

And I like Derrick Walker although he gave Gil a terrible car; i have liked him since he told Robbie Gordon to quit whining and drive the car.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 23:28 (Ref:781531)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting article....a bit long!

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/printer_180.shtml
Old 12 Nov 2003, 23:31 (Ref:781534)   #11
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate the IRL but why does everybody say he is taking his life in his hands. Yes there is a well documented case the IRL is more dangerous than CART, but not more DEADLY than CART. Cart has had more deaths than the IRL over the last 6 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I have said I have nothing against Manning (we all have to make our own decisions and sometimes a large sum of cash and a gamble that one will live to spend it seems like a good deal to us).

Darren made a great decision for himself first. He saved having to look for sponsorship to buy his ride. Instead, he finally will be paid by an employer at a top level ride. Good luck to him.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 01:10 (Ref:781560)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manning's situation was that he had a choice between being a garbag man that paid $200k or being a professional earning $10k.

IRL has had more injuries. Look at this year, how many CART drivers were injured?

I wish Manning luck and hope he kicks some tail. All this stuff has been going on about Dixon going to F1. Dixon should be quaking in his boots. I might be wrong, but I think Manning has more talent.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 10:01 (Ref:781855)   #13
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more! At the end of the day Manning is a racing driver, all he wants to do is win. Chips team are the reigning Champions and the team is hugely respected around the globe as a front-running outfit. Why on earth would he decline the chance to really get his career motoring to stay (which he didn't sound like he had the option to anyways) at a midfield team with no budget?

Racing alongside Lavin won't help him GAIN knowledge from his team-mate, while Dixon has a solid reputation now - as a champion. If Darren beats him and wants to come back to CART in 2005, he may have NH knocking on his door, instead of Walker...

Darren said not to long ago of his run of top 10 placings: " I don't want to be known as Mr average" - that's a winners attitude. Having worked on TV here in the UK he's a PR dream and having taken the ride at Rockingham in 2002 after Herbert had rejected it (saying that he thought his career could be damaged running for the team - good call Johnny...again) he's worked hard, raced well, and has proved to many that he is a capable driver.

How capable? I don't know, but at least he now has a chance of winning a championship. Good luck Daz and come back to CART soon!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 10:03 (Ref:781858)   #14
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub, I think you meant $10m. Imagine the huge weight FINALLY lifted off Darren's shoulders. With wanting the best for Darren, I congratulate him.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:20 (Ref:781949)   #15
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark C.'s now reporting Lavin is taking Corona to Fittipaldi-Dingman for '04. That leaves Walker with Valiante and no sponsors. CART paid Walker $4.4 million through the first nine months of the year to field cars and another $1.5 million is earmarked for him, which won't be there next year.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:24 (Ref:781954)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Why would FDR want Lavin?
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:29 (Ref:781959)   #17
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They may not want Lavin, but they want Corona $$$$$$.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:36 (Ref:781964)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Racing alongside Lavin won't help him GAIN knowledge from his team-mate
Now now now I am sure Studolfo could have taught Darren enough to make it as a male model.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:47 (Ref:781982)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lavin would be silly to move, as Walker has been more competitive than Fitipaldi. Still, he might prefer to run for a Latin team. Since Walker is no longer involved in the Reynard cars, there's no guarantee that CART or OWRS would go out of their way to fund him for next year.

Incidentally, I believe this would be a second FDR car. It seems likely to me that they've taken over Conquest's crew, and probably their shop, as that team looks to be dead, which is a great shame.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 13 Nov 2003 at 12:50.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:50 (Ref:781987)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Darren Manning himself said he was worried about the danger of driving in the IRL. And I just keep thinking of Tony Renna, who thought he had his big break at last and it ended 20 minutes later -- forever. I don't happen to think that any amount of money is worth that kind of gamble, but I respect Manning's dcision to take that gamble, especially as he has no wife or children to consider.

Unlike some, I don't get over seeing a racing driver meet a violent death in five minutes. It took me months to get over seeing the young hockey player whose career lasted 12 seconds and was ended by the first crash into the boards.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:51 (Ref:781990)   #21
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
They may not want Lavin, but they want Corona $$$$$$.
From what I understood, FDR already has enough cash!?
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:53 (Ref:781994)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
!!! Lavin looks like a gremlin! Sorry Rodolfo...or Rudolph!

Why on earth do Corona (my fave beer, with lime - mmm) support a racer who, well not being harsh on the guy, is never going to win anything...except a Gremlin look-a-like competition!?! When I was down Brands earlier this year he had a HUGE following, but y don't his countryman back Dominguez etc instead? Is it a case of backing the underdog?! Why don't Corona back Dominguez or Jourdain?!

Sorry Lavin, not trying to talk you out of a contract, but c'mon...

Controversial stuff, I love it...
Old 13 Nov 2003, 12:58 (Ref:782004)   #23
spider
Veteran

England
London
There are a lot of over-rated drivers in the IRL and with a guy of Manning's obvious ability landing a plum seat, he'll blow half of them out of the water.

Am I alone in wishing that Hornish would sign for NH someday? Imagine Hornish alongside Bourdais?!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:02 (Ref:782008)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Hornish isn't much of a road/street racer, so I think that SeaBass would blow him out of the water!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 13:08 (Ref:782017)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hornish hasn't done anything to suggest that he would be a top line road racer, and his family doesn't own a multi-national brewery either, so chances of him driving a Champ Car are minimal at best.