Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Apr 2004, 10:28 (Ref:934214)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trackside Creche Facilities?

Spinning off from the tagent the Britcar thread has taken do any circuits provide creche facilities?
I recall seeing a map of Silverstone at the back end of 2002 that had a creche marked on it but when I contacted the circuit the said they didnt have one.
I can see that it would be a huge earner for the circuits so probably not worth their investment, in fact I could imagine it would probably lose money.
I had toyed with the idea of converting an old double decker into a soft play and slide type deal with an awning attachment but for the very same reason decided I probably couldnt make the investment back let alone make it pay (given the licensing that would no doubt be required by the circuits). The plan was to be my wife runs the creche while I go take photos'

Do any of the organising clubs offer anything? Does anybody think that e.g. somebody like the BRSCC (just an example I'm not picking on them) having an awning or similar covered area at meetings where drivers and crews could safely deposit their progeny for an hour or two would be a good idea?
Old 8 Apr 2004, 11:17 (Ref:934255)   #2
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This whole issue is fraught with problems. Police checks, insurance,qualifications for staff, health and safety issues for people and premises, cost of play equipment are just a few of the things to consider. Even if you could sort all these things out, the cost of doing so would be huge and would make the cost to the parents totally prohibitive.
It would best be sorted by drivers making arrangements between themselves for one trusted person to 'babysit' a few kids. Just don't do that in a pit garage please!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 11:25 (Ref:934262)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There used to be a creche at Silverstone near the pit straight bridge. I thought the building was still there, maybe it's just not being used. I believe it was only ever in use for the GP and selected larger meeting, so doesn't really help you at clubies.

As Keith says it's a major headache to be a registered child-minder, more so in recent years with added police checks and liability insurance.

Can't you just lock them in the boot of the car
Old 8 Apr 2004, 11:30 (Ref:934264)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking string a net up in the pitlane and have a game of volleyball
It's exactly the kind of issues that you mention that stopped me progressing it as an idea myself
Old 8 Apr 2004, 23:55 (Ref:934855)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know you've already made your decision but my day to day work entails ensuring that childminders and nursery staff have their required statutory training. It is, to be frank, a nightmare, and that's even without the issue of police checks and licencing of an appropriate venue within the circuit.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 15:46 (Ref:935273)   #6
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought that T-Cars were the creche
Old 9 Apr 2004, 21:13 (Ref:935484)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul, love your idea but as other people have said it's fraught with problems. It would be wonderful to have a creche at circuits - that way some of the marshals with kids would be able to bring them along and leave them safely too. And it would keep them out of the pit lane!!! (the kids that it is, not the marshals!)
Old 10 Apr 2004, 17:20 (Ref:935920)   #8
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaulSands
[B]I was thinking string a net up in the pitlane and .....

sorted!