Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What makes us enjoy team-mate duals?
Similar Ability 23 63.89%
Different Personalities 14 38.89%
Different Levels of Experience 7 19.44%
Different Driving Styles 16 44.44%
Dislike for Each Other 11 30.56%
Contentious Incidents in the Past 9 25.00%
Constrasting Backgrounds 5 13.89%
Other (please state) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jan 2004, 11:26 (Ref:835235)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What Makes an Interesting Team-Mate Dual?

Raikkonen and Montoya at McLaren (assuming it happens) is one of the most anticipated team-mate duals in years, but waht factors make pairings in general so exciting?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 11:53 (Ref:835254)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got to be similar ability. The reason a Kimi/JPM team battle is eagerly anticipated, is the sight of the two drivers pushing eachother and their cars, to get the upper hand.

It will be fascinating to watch, and for F1 nowadays, a rare-ish opportunity to witness two real chargers in the same car.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 12:11 (Ref:835268)   #3
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not much difference in my opinion watching Ralf and JPM
Old 12 Jan 2004, 12:27 (Ref:835293)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A combination of similar abilities, different driving styles and different personalities. (Prost & Senna for example)
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:04 (Ref:835328)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if there are two of them, I guess there could be a dual.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:20 (Ref:835343)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Well if there are two of them, I guess there could be a dual.
OK, I'll change the spelling on the title!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:23 (Ref:835350)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I voted for all of them.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:30 (Ref:835363)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
OK, I'll change the spelling on the title!

Just call me Mr. Pedantic.........
Old 12 Jan 2004, 13:52 (Ref:835382)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like steve_r i voted for all of them, similar talent is importnat (otherwise there wouldn't be much of a duel) but a bit of hostility between team mates is always nice to see.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 14:54 (Ref:835443)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's best to have 2 drivers who arrive at the same performance levels walking on different personality/driving style paths.

It's the contrasting methods of producing the best results for close competition that's intriguing.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 14:55 (Ref:835445)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
not much difference in my opinion watching Ralf and JPM
So you think we'll see JPM beat Kimi by 24 points also
Old 12 Jan 2004, 15:09 (Ref:835457)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
So you think we'll see JPM beat Kimi by 24 points also
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:33 (Ref:835909)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get two drivers with similar ability, but with different personalities and backgrounds (support seems to come from personality as much as driving nowadays).
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:08 (Ref:836292)   #14
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Get two drivers with similar ability, but with different personalities and backgrounds (support seems to come from personality as much as driving nowadays).
Yep, Kimi and JPM. It's going to be interesting having someone like JPM in the conservative McLaren environment.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 16:45 (Ref:836871)   #15
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that the Massa/Fisi partnership will be good too see, Fisi (who can be fast when he wants too) against Massa (Fast but previously irratic, now with Ferrari training)

My moneys on the revamped Massa, he'll be better with the mechanics than he was, calmer and quicker than ever.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 17:03 (Ref:836891)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting poll, indeed
Old 13 Jan 2004, 18:57 (Ref:836980)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different personalities, similar ability, and no contract commanding one of the teammates to give way to the other at all times.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:35 (Ref:837030)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I went for different driving styles - Prost/Senna, Piquet/Mansell, Villeneuve/Scheckter, Hill/Villeneuve...
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:59 (Ref:837114)   #19
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dislike for eachother, fueled by similar ability usually make the most talked about pairings.

Generally it is a lot less hyped if the two drivers actually appear to like eachother. Hill/Villeneuve or de Ferran/de Castro were closely matched, and fought for championships, but there could've been a lot more to talk about if they had hated eachothers guts in the same fashion as Mansell/Piquet or Senna/Prost.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 21:42 (Ref:837160)   #20
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon all on the list are good one's.

I must admit I loved the Button - Villeneuve stuff last year especially when Button won through - I guess that would come from a one-sided dislike issue.

I guess where Minardi are concerned it comes down to who pays the most!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:07 (Ref:839086)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Voted different driving styles. There's more than one way to skin a cat. It is remarkable how te tortoise and the hare principle can lead to a similar points haul.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:09 (Ref:839249)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Total dedication to beating the team mate coupled with total respect for your team mate.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 22:55 (Ref:839736)   #23
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds good Adam!

All of the above can help, but I reckon similar ability has to be the main one. That, and a willingness on the part of each driver to battle the other and a team willing to let them.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:16 (Ref:839813)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Total dedication to beating the team mate coupled with total respect for your team mate.
Admirable, if rare.

Clark/Hill, 1967?

Lauda/Prost, 1984?

Prost/Hill, 1993?

No, I admit it, I'm struggling.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:42 (Ref:840032)   #25
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon teammates that work well together, e.g Alonso, Trulli and Panis, da Matta are good for the team, they work OFF each other, not against each other.