Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:36 (Ref:854907)   #1
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
accidents

Having been born in 1984 and not following motor racing until the mid-90's..... one of my first memories was sennas shunt at imola.. i was just wondering what are some of the other serious motor racing accidents that i should know about. so far i have read about:

-Gilles Villeneuve
-Jim Clark

I play the game grand prix legends and i heard a lot of the drivers out of that game died to motor racing but i dont really know how it happened if you get me.

What are some of the defining accidents of motor racing?

-jason
Old 29 Jan 2004, 15:03 (Ref:855212)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
unless I have missed the point of this thread I think its a pretty sick obsession that you have
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:07 (Ref:855400)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, I'd rather be celebrating the fact that we don't have the sorts of losses that were such a sad part of previous years.

I think rather than develop a discussion here, I would recommend a thread in another forum which has sought to chronicle all those who lost their lives competing, and has done so unsensationally and reverently.

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...&threadid=9705
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:04 (Ref:856429)   #4
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think the poster is being ghoulish. I think he is genuinely interested in an aspect of racing that the tables of statistics and potted race accounts don't cover (although there have been books that do). Mercifully things have improved since the fifties when we would lose two or three top drivers each year. Since then cars and circuits have been progressively improved.

On the above basis I am interpreting his question to mean 'significant' or 'influential' accidents rather than simply fatal accidents. There are countless instances of major or fatal accidents leading to changes in the regulations. T

The three below are among the most well known.

At Le Mans 1955 Pierre 'Levegh' in a Mercedes left the track and went into the crowd with numerous fatalities. This led a series of improvements to circuits in the interest of spectator safety. And to a ban on racing in Switzerland which is still in force.

The fatal accident to de Portago in the 1957 Mille Miglia, also killing several spectators, triggered the demise of the Mille Miglia and other long distance races. This would probably have happened anyway as the number of cars on the roads increased.

The non-fatal accident that Jackie Stewart had at Spa in 1966(?) led to his crusade to improve driver safety and to Louis Stanley setting up the Grand Prix Medical Unit which in turn led to improved medical facilities at all circuits.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:39 (Ref:858678)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If this is a serious study, may I suggest you read 'Echoes of Imola' by David Tremayne published by MRP in 1996, 'Life at the Limit' by Professor Sid Watkins' published by Macmillan, also in 1996, and 'Beyond the Limit' also by Professor Sid Watkins, published by Macmillans in 2001. An effective trilogy really, covering events before and after Imola 1994 and the measures taken to imnprove safety and minmise the risk of further tragedies over the ensuing years.

As D type has said, you also need to learn about the great work by Jackie Stewart, in the 60's/70's, and that of Louis Stanley alluded to in Damien Smith's 'Soapbox' piece in last week's (29/1) issue of Autosport.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Feb 2004, 10:48 (Ref:858686)   #6
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw one of the Havoc programmes on Men and Motors yesterday. It had some great footage of harmless spills from the mid 80s Group C era.

It was only when it showed a horrendous shunt at Eau Rouge with a Porsche 962 damaged beyond recognition that I realised I had been watching the accident that saw Stefan Bellof lose his life. The voiceover commentator did not even mention this fact, but judging by his other comments, neither him or the scriptwriter had much knowledge of motorsport. I was rather shocked at how badly this was handled by the producers of the video.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 14:28 (Ref:858933)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Redlake27, agreed, I noted that too. Appalling.

Last edited by John Turner; 1 Feb 2004 at 14:28.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Feb 2004, 15:37 (Ref:858989)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the havoc videos also has footage of Herbert's horrendous F3000 shunt, yet claimed that no-one was seriously hurt in the footage on the video. That crash left Johnny with pretty serious injuries I think we all agree. Not nice.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 18:16 (Ref:859275)   #9
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those havoc "best crashes" usually just find the shunts in the archieves and dont bother to research them at all.

i think this thread is not particularly nice, there are many accidents that have taken place that really dont need telling like a game of chilish chinese whispers

ok most of us enjoy seeing crashes, a simple spin or a few cars tangling and going off into the gravel etc, part of the fun, as soon as someone is hurt etc it becomes no form of entertainment, for example when burti (if thats the right person) crashed at spa a few years ago the fact that the camera men continued to show the accident again and again after wards and kept poking the camera at the car as they were trying to remove him from the car was just damnright disgraceful