Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:58 (Ref:845264)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Avesco track licences.

Origionally posted by racetime

It appears that a number of circuits have received a Letter of Demand from AVESCO telling them that if they have not signed up for a CAMS Track Licence by Friday, January 23rd, 2004 then all V8 Supercar activities including testing, media/sponsor days AND their scheduled round of the V8 Supercar Championship will be banned.

The letter, which I understand is dated January 16th but wasn't received at tracks until yesterday (sounds like the regular 5:45pm CAMS media release time...)

As I understand it, Queensland Raceway, who have already done their sums, believe that they could survive, if forced, a year without CAMS and AVESCO - however, where would this leave Queensland based V8 teams and, more importantly, their fans?

Knowing the current state of play with respect to track licences, it would be fair to say that Queensland Raceway and Winton Motor Raceway are the two main tracks being targeted here - Oran Park would be an outside chance at also having received the demand.

Interestingly, the WRX Club of Victoria is holding an event at Winton on February 8th and the following is taken from their event Supp Regs:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHORITY
The event shall be conducted under the national competition rules of the (Australian Auto Sport Alliance) “AASA”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So car clubs are already starting to make their decisions based on availability of venues - in this case ensuring that an event goes ahead despite the fights currently taking place between CAMS and others.

But what of V8 meetings?

Queensland Raceway could now look doubtful for its July round (Round 6) and equally, the Winton round in late July (Round 8) could also be looking doubtful. Extend the AVESCO demand and the April Winton Konica meeting may also be threatened.

Where does this leave AVESCO?

It is all very well for them to thump their chest and say 'Get this track licence' - but this will only start to force them to either carry out their threat and thus leave a potebtial 6 week gap in their calendar (which I am sure neither AVESCO or the teams want to see happen) or they will be forced to back down. If Oran Park is also involved in this mess, this could then potentially become an 8 week gap as Oran Park is currently Round 8 on August 15!

Given that track licences around the country for all venues except Winton and Queensland Raceway have been reported as costing under $80,000 per track - yet Wintons (at $198,000) and Queensland Raceway (at $114,000) means that both of these circuits are, for good reasons, questioning the costing CAMS has placed on their track licence.

At this point it hasn't even raised about the legality of AVESCO saying they MUST have a CAMS track licence. If AASA are able to issue track licences and show that their is no material difference between the licence CAMS would have issued - is it then feasible to say that a AASA licence is as good as a CAMS licence?

After all - CAMS have not stated any reason for the non-issue of track licences to Queensland Raceway, Winton Moror Raceway or, for that matter, Calder Park Raceway - other than non-payment of track licence fees. They have stated no physical reason (ie work needed to the track, damage etc) for the non-issue of a track licence.

So - Friday of this week would appear to be the crunch day - next Monday, being a holiday, means that the weekend could, quite conceivably, be a busy one for CAMS brining in their staff again.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:18 (Ref:845346)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To let people know what has happened (getting too many private emails!)

Because of some of the garbage that took place this afternoon by a few posters - this thread was deleted but the original article re-posted.

To make it clear - I agree with what was done - whilst, unfortunately, a numebr of good posts with some valid information were posted and are now lost - the thread was basically hi-jacked (that is now beig taken care of as I undertsnad it...)

However - there is some further info to the above which can now be posted - and I will do so in a following message...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:845351)   #3
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry Race I just PM ed you about it before coming here
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:31 (Ref:845356)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

OK more to the original thread.

It appears that the letter AVESCO have sent out to tracks is NOT the same.

My information is that Wintons letter, whilst along similar lines, does not carry the same end of line threat.

It appears, from the view of more than a few people, that Queensland Raceway is being 'targetted' by AVESCO - whether they are simply trying to bring Queensland Raceway 'into line' or being vindictive is not 100% clear - but it is becoming clearer that QR is right i nthe AVESCO firing line.

Also - before the thread was removed, it was asked who signed the Letter of Demand to Queensland Raceway - I now believe that this original letter was signed by Wayne Cattach.

I also beieve that more correspondence was received by QR today - more details on that soon....
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:51 (Ref:845375)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It gets stranger and stranger by the day. I'm sure the lawyers will be looking at every piece of paper coming to QLD Raceway from AVESCO and CAMS.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:845390)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

My understanding is that the 'pieces of paper' are coming from one direction only at present....
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:845391)   #7
scoupe
Rookie

scoupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they will also looking at all the lost Income as well
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:07 (Ref:845393)   #8
pete55
Veteran

I think there will be more important context in some letters as compared to others and it might not do AVESCO any good at all. I would think the powers to be at Winton and QR and maybe OP will be comparing notes.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 20:18 (Ref:845835)   #9
Big Treva
Rookie

Big Treva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise sincerely to all and sundry if I in any way had anything to do with the original thread being deleted.

Old 21 Jan 2004, 20:38 (Ref:845853)   #10
pete55
Veteran

More likely it was someone to do with CAMS or AVESCO Trev.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:23 (Ref:845902)   #11
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RaceTime you should post the extra bit on the other forum yourself as this little peice of info makes the threat even stranger.To read between the lines(I hope im wrong)but are AVESCO useing this tactic not to race at Queensland Raceway?

The Grumpy1
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:32 (Ref:845911)   #12
pete55
Veteran

AVESCO are doing CAMS' dirty work it would seem.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:43 (Ref:845928)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

Treva - water under the bridge - but no, it wasn't you - it was Barry Bray and Richard Catchlove that caused the problems (wasn't hard to flush them out really)

grumpy1 - as I said - this is NOT a thread for the Procar forum - the substantive part of the thread remains - but now for todays installment and this is getting wierder and wierder.

I believe a further letter was sent by AVESCO to QR 'requesting' (nice term that really...) that additional space be provided in the QR paddock area. The area is to be a sealed surface and made available as AVESCO are expanding their needs - primarily operational needs - this year.

But, and get this, the space they want is an addition 2 hectares, or thereabouts!

Now I have only been to QR twice, but I find it hard to see where even 1 hectare could be found, let alone 2.

Oh - and the cruncher for this - AVESCO won't contribute a cent to this - it has to be done at the owners expense.

I am wondering what letter went out from AVESCO yesterday with another demand - guess I'll have to wait until my copy arrives
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:49 (Ref:845940)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are spaces inside the kart track that are concreted, carported anyway, but is a bit of a hike from the main area.

The paddock in QR is small, and I wonder how the teams will get the Konica Minolta boys and girls in there on top of the main series and other supports. Without a massive clearance of trees, and therefore a reduction in sound deadening, it would be a difficult one to achieve.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:55 (Ref:845951)   #15
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The competitors current car park is probably the only area within a bulls roar that might be utilised
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:58 (Ref:845958)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oooh, TC not being able to park the freebie Audi near the gate... Pah.. I dont think so somehow
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:00 (Ref:845961)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

I haven't had it confirmed where they want to be located (AVESCO that is) - and no suggestions from you lot! - but I would be surprised if they allow it to be more that 10 paces from Race Control..

but - and I hate saying this- I believe all this is moot as QR will not be obtaining a CAMS track licence under the current conditions and, if this means QR is dropped from the V8 schedule, then they are believed to be able to work around that possibility.

At least if they do decide to go this route (not getting a CAMS track licence) enough of the facts have come out that AVESCO won't be able to point the finger of blame away from themselves this time. AVESCO and V8's are the ones that are going to miss out and miss out badly!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:02 (Ref:845966)   #18
TheGspot
Racer

Well I suppose the could tar TC's but, or they could kick him in the groin, that would give him 2 acres.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:08 (Ref:845976)   #19
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess we will soon see if Auto Action is going to publish this sordid story as a major, major item in next week's issue... I won't hold my breath...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:845980)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So what happens if we dont have QR?

The first part is that there is no round in Queensland except for Indy... and if the ChampCars aint coming, is that necessarily a guarantee?

What has me thinking is that I had planned on attending that round, and was within a few days of booking travel & accomodation for it. How many more people, including teams, would have already made bookings to go there? And now have to cancel them, possibly losing their fare, and indeed their accomodation.

Plus the issue of testing, with teams unable to test at circuits not CAMS affiliated (which will mean a TEGA rep likely wont show up at non-CAMS circuits) then the situation adds significant cost to Queensland teams if they are forced to test elsewhere.

Eastern Creek is the closest permanent circuit to them with a CAMS affiliation... (and closer to me.. Woohoo, here come the scoops!) but to drag a crew down here, the truck and all the bits, maybe accomodation if its a late night thing... 8 times a year, they will certainly burn up some dollars.... or indeed impact when they can test, as the QR circuit would likely already be block booked for testing, and the people at EC keep telling us they are well utilised....

Which brings to mind a suggestion made to me around Eastern Creek time... that perhaps AVESCO has designs on owning that circuit (or at least the management rights thereof), that perhaps AVESCO had made an offer for it... and that the offer had been given careful consideration by the ARDC and/or the state government masters....

I presume we will roll the same dice with Winton should their relationship with AVESCO sink to this same level.

Same issue applies with travel for teams, and the costs, plus the fans who book tours/flights/accomodation/hirecars etc etc and may have lost their money. Wonder if AVESCO will offer refunds/compensation?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:845986)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigguy
I guess we will soon see if Auto Action is going to publish this sordid story as a major, major item in next week's issue... I won't hold my breath...
I wouldn't either - they will probably do their usual trick and just pick up the threads from in here!

However, look for background material from MSN...If Branigan stops enjoying himself overseas that is
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:845995)   #22
RaceTime
Veteran

GTR - the cost of testing could well be covered by the costs they have budgeted for the Queensland round - reallocate expenditure - so it may not be as great a burdon to the teams as you think.

Travel for teams would, for many, be covered under sponsorship arrangements - but I agree, a lot of people would lose travel money due to cheap fares being bought (except Virgin - they could re-allocate flights/dates and a cost of around $30 or $50 - better than losing it all with QANTAS...sorry sevi...)

My advice - wait until at least Tuesday before making ANY bookings.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:33 (Ref:846016)   #23
TheGspot
Racer

EC 6 rounds. yeeeeeeh
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:44 (Ref:846033)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
But that wont be amenable to the franchise owner. They will have lost the franchise income/appearance income from any round not completed.

So arguably $30k out of a 2 car team has gone away.

This is significant in some of these teams where the legal entities or controlling structures where the franchise asset is isolated from the main operation of the race team, and the franchise income is the main source of remuneration for some team owners. You might be surprised how many are impacted here.

I dont mind the flights changing, on Virgin the value is credited against another flight if sufficient notice is given, I get more interested in hotels and car rentals.

Most teams dont take sponsorship per se for flights, its a bulk deal arranged by TEGA that sees them paying below the odds for flights in return for signage and other things at particular circuits. So they may still have $$ at risk.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:47 (Ref:846037)   #25
Big Treva
Rookie

Big Treva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racetime, according to someone on V8Central Qld have signed as it the cheaper option