Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Mar 2004, 14:02 (Ref:922887)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO is it worth joining

I have contemplated joining the ACO for a number of years, but I do not know whether it is worth it.

I know Ayse is a member is anyone else and would you recommend it?

I know you can use the welcome area at the end of the pits, how many guests can you sign in if posible and can you still get on top of the welcome building(I think). Or is this area open to the general public as it was 2 years ago (the last time I went to Le Mans).

Any comments please.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 14:34 (Ref:922914)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was a member and the ACO stand is the best one in terms of facilities. The tickets are cheaper but if you want to get your tickets on time then, in my experience, get them from elsewhere!

The pack you get about the race is decent and a good read, expecially if you are an anorak.

My membership fee has gone on DSC instead...
Old 29 Mar 2004, 15:59 (Ref:922990)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm still an ACO member and will be rejoining this May. Its worth it for me just for the List des Engagees and the full results pack which follows in about August. I used to say that it was worth it just for the ability to get on top of the Welcome Building - but I haven't managed to get there now for two years. It was taken over by the film-maker in 2002 and I wasn't allowed up there last year. If it is open to members this year, you will certainly find me there - particularly during the night.

Its a judgment call - I think you can still get 6 reduced price entry tickets plus the List and results and, supposedly, first call on ACO stand tickets.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:21 (Ref:923012)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
How much does membership cost?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:37 (Ref:923032)   #5
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
90 Euros, so its worth it if you are buying at least 6 tickets because then you can save 84 Euros on the 6 tickets. Thus the other benefits and membership pack only really costs you 6 Euros. This includes the driver/ team info pack, program, results, poster, winners print and most importantly the use of the nice and clean (and proper, ie sit down ) toilet and shower facilities in the ACO building.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:12 (Ref:923069)   #6
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
If it is open to members this year, you will certainly find me there - particularly during the night.
can't remember where I saw this, but it seems to be open to every grandstand ticket holder from 6pm on saturday (depending on how many people are already there)
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:34 (Ref:923096)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been a member for 5 years and I think having access to the big sheltered restaurant with the big screen TV in 2001 (when it rained the entire week) was worth every penny. I take the Liste des Engagees and have it autographed in the ALMS and find that the drivers enjoy seeing it and asking about how I liked it there and always say their picture is awful.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:37 (Ref:923101)   #8
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
... having access to the big sheltered restaurant with the big screen TV in 2001 (when it rained the entire week) was worth every penny. ...
too bad it closes during the night
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:03 (Ref:923142)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about an ACO support campaign - Blue Blazer Day 2004 or something. Show the world you support the ACO, wear a blue blazer on *insert date here*.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:28 (Ref:923165)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was going to join last year and never quite got round to it, mainly due to only being in Le Mans for 36 hours. But as I have more time this year I think I will join.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 19:06 (Ref:923216)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
too bad it closes during the night

But the cafe in the Welcome Area stays open. The cups of coffee I have in their during the wee hours keep my alive most years......
Old 29 Mar 2004, 21:04 (Ref:923333)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its worth every penny if it rains . I had membership a few years ago and it rained , there was a plastic table and chair to sit on and a big view TV screen and cold beer too , much better than sitting outside getting wet !!! Worth every penny IMO , and you get that book a few months later too .

Last edited by The Badger; 29 Mar 2004 at 21:05.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:16 (Ref:923461)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget something?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Its a judgment call - I think you can still get 6 reduced price entry tickets plus the List and results and, supposedly, first call on ACO stand tickets.
Don't forget that it is an Auto Club with free or discounted road service. I could have used it in '99 when I ran out of "Gazoil" (diesel fuel) on the way back to Paris.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 07:30 (Ref:923627)   #14
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
General opinion is that it is worth it to join?

The money you save on the tickets is good, and I take it you can get them on the gate at the reduced rate if you produce your membership card?

When you say the ACO building I take you mean the one at the back of the village, and the ACO stand is the one in the centre of the start/finish straight with the shop underneath it.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 07:49 (Ref:923642)   #15
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
My membership fee has gone on DSC instead...
Er, forgive my ignorance - but what's the DSC?
Old 30 Mar 2004, 09:56 (Ref:923758)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It isn't in direct competition with the ACO, but it is related to sportscar. It is dailysportscar.com.
it doesn't provide cheap(er) tickets or road side assitance, but the results service is excellent. Seeing as we get free assistance through the classic insurance and the tickets will arrive on time if we go somewhere else we gave up on the ACO. I do sort of miss being a member though (they still run the best race in the world), but it just didn't make sense for us.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 12:26 (Ref:923898)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
General opinion is that it is worth it to join?

The money you save on the tickets is good, and I take it you can get them on the gate at the reduced rate if you produce your membership card?

When you say the ACO building I take you mean the one at the back of the village, and the ACO stand is the one in the centre of the start/finish straight with the shop underneath it.

Yes

Yes

and Yes.......

Old 30 Mar 2004, 17:50 (Ref:924269)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Richy_Rich
Er, forgive my ignorance - but what's the DSC?
Dailysportscar.com - it's a subscription based sportscar magazine on the net.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 01:34 (Ref:924664)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
30 day free trial

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Dailysportscar.com - it's a subscription based sportscar magazine on the net.
For a thirty day free trial, goto http://www.dailysportscar.com and insert dscsebring in the username field and sebring in the password field. Make haste as the offer was made available at the recent Sebring 12hr race and may not be available later.

:confused: Annual subscription is £35.

Your name/email are not shared.

I am not affiliated with the organization.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 21:46 (Ref:925702)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is something you may not know. If you have a friend who is a member of the ACO, you can get him or her to bring you in as a guest for the three day weekend for about 10 Euros. (They only allow a certain number of guests per member, but I've never exceeded it.) If you can get someone to voucher you in this year, you could see if you liked it enough to join next year.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 07:31 (Ref:926039)   #21
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Liz when you say "bring you in for the three day weekend" where are you meaning?
Is that the ACO buildings?
Old 1 Apr 2004, 07:46 (Ref:926052)   #22
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
Liz probably means the ACO members's welcome area, that is the former museum
Old 1 Apr 2004, 12:49 (Ref:926288)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Bring you in as a guest member. You will have all rights that regular members have but you won't get the package of goodies.