Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1024997)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F3000, Magny Cours

Liuzzi
Enge
Friesacher
Schroeder
Doornboss
Guerreri
Schmidt
Viso

Liuzzi regains title lead as Toccacello struggles to 11th.

New boy Viso takes a point on his debut.

Mathias Lauda rolled the car, but is unhurt
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1025011)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No opening or Liuzzi in F1 for next year that I can see, sadly.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1025015)   #3
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag/Red Bull?
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1025022)   #4
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aha! But in all the press his name hasn't been on many of the lists.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1025032)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect he will get at least a testing role at Jaguar.

He's highly regarded by Red Bull.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1025111)   #6
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Austrian media has been full of stories about Liuzzi driving for Red Bull next year (they've also had lots of stories that Red Bull has bought Jaguar).

I'm not convinced.

Liuzzi probably has a better chance of reaching F1 if Arden are allowed to have an F1 team.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1025117)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
why did they stick liuzzi in f3000 where you learn nothing about the setup of a car? i don't understand it...
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1025166)   #8
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's something for him to win, and it's higher profile than any of the other options available to him at the time.

It also still produces more F1 drivers than any other championship of that level...even if some of them don't last very long.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1025171)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Indeed. Most F1 drivers have "done time" in F3000.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1025234)   #10
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bella said:

----------------------------------

why did they stick liuzzi in f3000 where you learn nothing about the setup of a car? i don't understand it...

----------------------------------

With respect, that's not so.

It is easy to confuse the setup of a car with the development of a car. You have to set up your car in F3000, same as any other formula. You just don't get to DEVELOP it, and that tends to be done by the team/engineer anyway in junior formulae. It takes a lot of time in the seat to develop a car
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 3 Jul 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1025237)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but you don't get much option as to what you can change, no options on wing settings or anything like that? i don't understand how much can be learnt from that?
Old 4 Jul 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1025285)   #12
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can change wings, compression/rebound/pre-load dampers, ride heights, springs, etc.

I don't think a driver can do a lot more than tell you if the car is balanced. And when balanced, then fine tune it for his/her own driving style.

The trouble is, what feels good for a driver is not necessarily good for the stop watch. A more "comfortable" car tends to be a softer car, which may feel better for a driver, but which may not necessarily be quicker for a certain track on a certain day.

This is where a team comes in with a known base setup.

In F3000, the top teams tend ot have this setup, and there is only fine tuning left to do by the driver, and thereafter it is theoretically down to driver ability.

What F3000 also gives a driver is the step up from junior formulae like FRenault, F3, FF or FBMW to big, fast cars, significantly more power than grip, more G forces, more fitness required, longer races, etc.

It has never been a particularly glamorous formula, as portrayed in UK circles, but I think it, or its antecedents (be they GP2 or whatever) are still great training grounds for F1, CART or whatever.

There still seem to be teams, like Arden, who have the best setups, but there is still a significant jump from the junior formulae ... ask Viso after his first couple of races - I guarantee you he will see where he needs to step up his game in himself.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1027778)   #13
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
but you don't get much option as to what you can change, no options on wing settings or anything like that? i don't understand how much can be learnt from that?
But what would be an Alternitive:confused: Touringcars:confused: Sportscars:confused: Maybe sportscars, remember Riccardo Zonta, his "teacher" Klaus Ludwig tought him all the tricks, but please remember that the sportscarbusiness is in deeper problems than 6 years ago...
Old 6 Jul 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1027850)   #14
Ajay
Rookie

Ajay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi, on the topic of "setup", does a driver have more freedom in setting up an F3 than for a F3000 car? Does F3 allow more options for setups etc?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1027950)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally posted by Thommy
But what would be an Alternitive:confused:
gp2 is very promising at the moment, i think i'd be wanting to play in that next year...
but yeah, i agree with you, there wasn't much of an alternative going on.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1028067)   #16
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be helpful to be in touch with a manufactorer. Remember the legendary BMW-Junior-Team? Or the Mercedes-Benz-Junior Team in the beginning of the 90's? The young racing drivers can learn a lot there, for Example in Public Relations, in Marketing, to cut a long story short: In representing the employer, their team, their manufactorer.

I think it would be a good choice if a young racing driver did for expample ETCC and Formula3000 in one season...