Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jun 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1002982)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shell Corner-the inside

Having taken pictures for many, many years on the inside of Shell corner at Oulton (if a car was to spin or miss its breaking point the car would fly off into the tyre wall on the outside of the corner obviously)I walked all the way to the said point from Cascades and waited for the race. On the greenflag lap I then wandered nearer the track to get ready when I was beckoned back by the observer on the post on the exit of the corner and told no way! I then had to stand there for the remainder of the race and unable to get the usual shots. Afterwards I asked the observer why the change after so many years of being able to do so. He simply replied I don't want anyone standing there thats all! What is the problem here? The camera man for the Formula Women had set up behind the flimsy looking tyrewall in the line of fire if something should go off under breaking but that was ok. Can anybody tell me what is the ruling on this corner-and if it has changed then why??
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:30 (Ref:1003169)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Generally Barry unless it's a designated RED area, photographers have free reign over where they stand. Obviously if it was thought you were in a dangerous position you would be asked to move, but more often than not that comes from Race Control. It would be interesting to see whether you were stopped from taking pictures from that spot the next time you go. I would also suggest you ask at sign on whether you are able to be there. If they say it's ok then pass that message to the Observer and ask him to check with Race Control.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:12 (Ref:1003189)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My guess is that it was just the Observer on that post at that time.

I personally think some photographers are a little kamikaze at Shell, but unless they are endangering my marshals they are free to stand where they wish - unless I receive instructions from the heirarchy to the contrary!

Whilst I don't have a problem with any member of the media at the tracks and like to think that we all get along fine, I don't keep a specific look-out for them!

Barry, I guess you had an Observer up at Shell that was looking out for you and unfortunately this meant that you were unable to get your normal shots!

It has to be said though, that whilst 99 out of every 100 "Offs" at Shell end up in the gravel, there's still the one that will mount the grass banking on the infield.......right where youn want to stand!
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1003200)   #4
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair comment Mark, I was told that I could only stand on this bank behind the tyrewall and go no further. I said to the marshal that was with me that this place is more dangerous than standing further out on the inside of the corner looking down on the cars as the drive past. I then went down to Foulstons for the next Palmer Audi and guess what...a car went off and went over the tyrewall EXACTLY where I was told to stand earlier by the observer-I rest my case!
Attached Thumbnails
shell.jpg  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1003668)   #5
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe you should have stayed - Just imagine the shots you've gotten :-)
Old 14 Jun 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1004017)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
...and probably a face full of old Avon and Goodyears filled with green water!!!!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1004676)   #7
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
...and probably a face full of old Avon and Goodyears filled with green water!!!!
It's actually a little known fact that certain makes of tyre are good for particular garden plants. Take Goodyear tyres - they are good for roses this year. You didn't know that?.... But I thought everyone knew that "It's been a good year for the roses" (with apologies to Elvis and the Attractions). *Mega groans*
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1005067)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
It may also be possible that malaria has doubled since circuits have used old tyres everywhere as well!