Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1033002)   #1
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dean Canto 2005?

Okay, I admit I'm a Canto fan. But I've been wondering a few things.

There is much talk about Lowndes going to 888 to probably replace the Rat (given he's the one out of contract at the end of the year). But Canto has remained listed as a 888 driver all year (according to their website) presumably hoping to take over from the Rat at the end of this year should the opportunity present itself. It now appears very unlikely a seat will be available for him there next year.

So what about FPR? Do they want to pay lots of money for ageing drivers like Menu, Radisich or Seto for that matter, when I'm sure Canto would cost much less.
He did drive for FTR at Queensland in 2000 & 2001 and Bathurst 2001. Canto did have a poor start to last season (thanks Mr Briggs) but after the first 5 rounds scored more points (779*) than many who finished above him in the overall championship, including Seton (736*). Maybe there's a chance of the old Briggs/888 team of Radisich/Canto at FPR if Lowndes and Seton both move on.

What about GRM - given it looks as though Tander is moving on. Garry Rogers let Whincup go (695*) and took on Cam McConville (760*) - he and Dean could make a good team.

What about BJR? Brad (789*) looks like he'd suit retirement but doesn't think Andy is ready yet. Perhaps he could give another kid a go and let Andy play later - maybe when JB decides it's time.

Others currently driving who scored less points than Dean after round 5 include: Max Wilson (776*), Steven Johnson (774**), Paul Weel (707*), Simon Wills (620*), Jason Richards (616*), Paul Dumbrell (610*), Craig Baird (569*) and Anthony Tratt (422*)

Is it just me, or do these numbers suggest he should be driving for SOMEONE?!

* = total championship points scored from round 6-13 in 2003 inclusive.
** = points scored from rounds 6-13 after worst score (39 points in round 13) dropped.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1033498)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say Canto has remained listed on the website because they have kept his services as an enduro driver. If there were to be driver changes at FPR, wouldn't there be a good chance that they would find someone else from the Prodrive empire to fill their spot?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1033901)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont think Mr Canto has a permanent main series gig in his immediate future... although it is interesting that he attempted to wangle a free drive in a F4000 pbH at Oran Park a couple of weeks ago!
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1034031)   #4
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I dont think Mr Canto has a permanent main series gig in his immediate future... although it is interesting that he attempted to wangle a free drive in a F4000 pbH at Oran Park a couple of weeks ago!
Sorry GTR - pbH?????????????:confused:
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1034042)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F4000 powered by Holden....
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1034057)   #6
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Ta Thanx
Old 13 Jul 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1035137)   #7
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
he attempted to wangle a free drive in a F4000 pbH at Oran Park a couple of weeks ago!
In actual fact, I hear a friend of his is getting an F4000 car ready for sale to someone from NZ (female?) - and he was offered a drive in the car to check out the set-up. Nothing more - nothing less.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1035229)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
From the same squad that offers F4000 pbH thrill rides at Wakefield?