Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1332798)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't the drivers be doing a better job?

I think we should have some thought for the organisors of F1. They have to take measures each year to prevent the cars from being too fast for the circuits they race on, and each time they take these measures every armchair expert in the world derides them for doing so.

The current regulations require the drivers to take care of their tyres, possibly more so than most, if not all of them, have had to do in the past. I think they've been found wanting.

Taking care of your equipment for the length of a GP has, up until recent years, been part of every race drivers armoury. The best drivers were always easier on their equipment than those who were not so good. Just this weekend I read that Fangio would use 10-15 litres of fuel less thasn his team mates despite being faster. I've read in the past that at Lotus they used to change Jim Clarks brake pads not because they were worn out, but because they showed such little wear that it was embarrassing for his team mates.

In the fuel economy era of the eighties, only Alain Prost seemed to be able to maintain a pace that he deemed was correct to win the race. Most of his rivals would just run out of fuel. When the fuel economy regs were ended, we then saw that Alain Prost was faster than all the other drivers as well, and he was the only driver who could challenge Senna, be it in a McLaren or a Ferrari.

For decades, drivers would race with a full tank of fuel and one set of tyres. Can our modern overpaid prima donnas do likewise? Not on this seasons showing, they can't.

Kimi Raikkonnen is one of the very best out there, but at the Euro GP he drove in such a way that he absolutely wrecked his tyres, and then when his car was clearly damaged, he continued to drive in such a way that, well, his car exploded, basically.

That has never ever been the way to win a championship, and never will be. Its the way to win the odd race, or to be fastest over so many laps, if thats what you want to be, but he's supposed to be trying to win the championship. Really, it was dreadful driving, and yet everyone has sympathy for him

In the same GP most of the cars left the track at some point, including Alonso.

I'm just wondering that when the FIA were penning the tyre regs, they didn't allow for the possibility that the modern breed of driver has spent too long driving lightweight sprint cars with massive grip, and have rarely had to do more than a few dozen miles before they have another fresh set of tyres and a refuel. The FIA possibly didn't consider that asking them to drive more in a more skillful way might be asking too much.

I can't help thinking that if there were an Alain Prost out there today, he'd be cleaning up. He'd be winning every GP whilst his rivals would be ruining tyres and visiting the scenery, and continuing to blame everybody and his dog except themselves.

I think the drivers should be given a talking to. It could be pointed out to them that they're still not being asked to start a GP with enough fuel to run to the finish, and thus have to cope with the change in weight that that would bring. They've still got virtually all the modern driver aids they could ask for: power steering, paddle gearchanges, plumbed in energy drink bottles, the ability to make changes to the car by twiddling buttons, constant communication with their team, and a car that is always light on fuel.

I say they doth protest too much. Isn't it time they started to earn their keep?

PS I'm avoiding mentioning the Ralf incident, 'cos a tyre exploding early in the weekend is not a regs. issue.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1333221)   #2
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey. Has anyone posted and not got an answer before?

I just want to point out we've just seen a Minardi driver doing no racing whatsoever and still locking a wheel up. They're supposed to be the best in the world. What gives?
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1333231)   #3
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee

I just want to point out we've just seen a Minardi driver doing no racing whatsoever and still locking a wheel up. They're supposed to be the best in the world. What gives?
YES ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cos Im the Dick Head that could sponsor arrogant pratts in F1. Jokers; without sponsors youre finished
Old 19 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1333391)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Money talks in F1 - give a team like Minardi a few million and for a year they're your best friend...
Old 19 Jun 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1333397)   #5
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee
Yep.

Me, for instance.

Happens often, when lots of threads are going at the same time.

It also happens often, when not much is going on. (For instance, off-season)