Old 28 Feb 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1238269)   #1
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New York

Hey,

I just made a proposal for a street circuit in NY.

I'm quite proud of it, it passes a lot of sights (Battery Park, Trinity Church, Ground Zero, Brooklyn Bridge, City Hall Park, and right near Wall St. too), and it's not a repetitive series of 90-degree bends.

I'll be damned if i knew where the pitlane should be though . Perhaps on FDR Drive with some kind of harbour extension for the paddock? .
Old 28 Feb 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1238469)   #2
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FDR Drive looks like it'd be a high-traffic area, so maybe the pits shouldn't be there.

Other than that, it's a great track. Any idea of the length?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1238496)   #3
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a wonderful layout, but it essentially closes off the entire Financial District. Unless you want the global economy to collapse all in the name of an automobile race, it's probably the least practical circuit anyone has ever considered.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1238617)   #4
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a nice track t_r, but Gran Turismo 4 has a better one, IMO. For those who don't have the game, here's a map of the track. It runs counterclockwise and the start/finish line and pits are on Broadway.

Old 1 Mar 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1238781)   #5
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I just wrote in Challenge: Strahov, Prague, Czech Republic:
Personally, I don't really like making street circuits on real streets unless I have an undertanding of how the streets look like (literally, the street, but also the elevational changes and other little things)...
HOWEVER: I have played GT4 Prologue (very briefly, and I believe it was NY), and I love their track there ... GT4 comes out in Australia 12th March I believe, so when I get it, I'll grab it ...

Last edited by f1freak; 1 Mar 2005 at 09:24.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1239094)   #6
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Yea, but that GT3-circuit is almost only 90-degree turns .

And yeah, i know it wouldnt be doable in a thousand years, but no circuit in NY will .
Old 3 Jul 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1345885)   #7
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
It's a wonderful layout, but it essentially closes off the entire Financial District. Unless you want the global economy to collapse all in the name of an automobile race, it's probably the least practical circuit anyone has ever considered.
Actually, closing off the Financial District would probably be fine - it's virtually a ghost town anyway from 6pm Friday to 8am Monday. If a public holiday were to intervene, there'd be plenty of time for a motor race.

The other thing worth remembering is that, even if it looks cut off on the map, there's always the Subway to get in and out of the place on.

But anyway, I don't think it's necessary to close off anywhere to have a street race in NYC. There are enough bridges and tunnels for some semblance of street access to survive. Incidentally, this also solves the where to put the pits problem - in Brooklyn of course. My layout:
Attached Thumbnails
nyc88.PNG  
Old 3 Jul 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1346223)   #8
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Now, that'd be a spectacle - F1 cars riding across Brooklyn Bridge, and underneath the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel! .
Old 3 Jul 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1346334)   #9
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a problem with your track, Jam. I like the idea of using the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, but it would be too dangerous. According to this website, http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn-battery/ , towards the bottom, you'll find "Bridge and Tunnel Facts," it states the tunnel is 9,117 feet long, almost 2 miles, and it cosists of two tubes, each two lanes wide, making that stretch of track very narrow. Any accidents inside the tunnel would be a nightmare to clean up, and any medical response would be severely hampered.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1346835)   #10
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
There's a problem with your track, Jam. I like the idea of using the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, but it would be too dangerous. According to this website, http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn-battery/ , towards the bottom, you'll find "Bridge and Tunnel Facts," it states the tunnel is 9,117 feet long, almost 2 miles, and it cosists of two tubes, each two lanes wide, making that stretch of track very narrow. Any accidents inside the tunnel would be a nightmare to clean up, and any medical response would be severely hampered.
But ofcourse, Mandretti - i don't think anyone means serious business about racing the cars underneath the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel . It would indeed be too dangerous.

Also, the Brooklyn Bridge, having been there, i'd say the roadway is generally too bumpy there.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1346965)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
TR, I think that if modern race cars can handle Sebring, the Brooklyn Bridge shouldn't be a particular problem in that respect.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1347091)   #12
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Now, thats true too.

Now, concerning Sebring, i'm going to Florida this thursday, and i've been thinking about seeing Sebring - but is there anything actually to see there?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1347543)   #13
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Oh well. I'll have to have a rethink. Maybe I'll come up with one using the Manhattan Bridge instead - that would make for some fun viewing from the B, D, N, and Q trains