Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1347300)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2006 Alms

Sorry, but the 2005 ALMS is completly and uttely lame. :cry: :x

Apart from GT2 there is no competition in any of the classes.

Ok, maybe an hour or so in LMP1 until the Dyson cars hit trouble.

Is there ANY GOOD NEWS on the horizon?

There HAS to be new LMP1 and LMP2 entries next year or the series is effectively dead IMO.

For 3-4 years the series has slowly lost entries with few coming in to the series.

The ALMS desperatly needs at least two competitive entries in LMP1, LMP2 and GT1 to keep the fans interested.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1347305)   #2
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, next year we will have 2 Penske Porsche LMP2's.. Intersport should run 2 Lolas in P1 and P2. There should be a factory Audi effort from Joest in LMP1, while Champion would still run the R8's with the IMSA rules break. Dyson will have new cars(probably the new Lola or the new Riley), where you also have the possibility of having Honda in P2. And Mazda will most likely step up to a 2 car Courage team next year, while Miracle will go to P1 with either a Courage C60H or a new Riley..

so we will see a min of 12 P1/P2 cars, with the possibility of 15+ entries if Honda comes in..
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1347308)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There are , will be competetive cars there . Why somebody didnt race a Dome or a Courage C60 there is beyond me . But then again , no American team ever raced a Viper in its hayday either ! Why was that ?

Why doesnt Pescarolo build a couple cars like his to race in the states ? Or is that a chassis issue since the basic Pescarolo chassis is still a Courage ?

Riley will be back and there are (were) rumours about a Honda attack !

Whatever happened to that Titan effort ?

Why couldnt somebody put together a serious 550 attack ?

A brace of TVR's in the states would be nice !

Maybe Mugen will race a car in the ALMS !

Maybe there will be a Courage L70/Elan next year !

That Audi and Corvette are built like tanks ..... bash them into the wall and then finish up on the podium everytime . It is in my opinion for other teams to take the fight to Audi and Corvette !!!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1347333)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Joest in the ALMS next year? Surely the LMES is more likely, with a Champion ALMS effort to follow.

But it's OK, because you'll have all those Shaw Technology cars. Oh no, wait...
Old 5 Jul 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1347338)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
all those Shaw Technology cars. Oh no, wait...
Please don't start that one

They definetly need more entries in each class except GT2, unless it was another make, which I doubt would be TVR since they aren't sold here (are they? ). I realize it is a saloon car, but a competitive BMW would be good to have.

I am looking forward to the Porsche P2 entry, which should mop up.

Hopefully there will be a few orders for the Riley Coupe.

I still think ALMS is the best racing series in North America, and hope it can stay that way. The sad thing is, there isn't anything that could replace it, since the others have successfully screwed up so badly over the years.

robert
Old 5 Jul 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1347363)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I don't know about that. We've had some fantastic races this year, including Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock for P1. Sebring was a good race for GT1, and all the races have been great for GT2.

Quote:
Well, they've done much better than that 3/4 races, so your comments are a bit off, though I understand what you are getting at.

My suggestion for 06' looks like this.

LMP1
2 Champion Audi R8's
2 Dyson LMP1's of some sort.
1 Riley
1 Miracle Courage
1 TBA
2 Euro teams for the season
1 Intersport Lola????

LMP2
2 Penske Porsche
3 Radicals to 5 by the end of season.
1 Lola Mazda
1 Intersport Lola??
1 Courage Mazda
2 Lola not really competitives
1 Van Der Steur something

So that would be 19 LMP's + 2 Intersport.

Then there is the Honda LMP2 rumour. There is also another rumour for a new two car LMP2 team. So 25 is possible without anything new and suprising.

Then GT1.

2 Corvette C6.R P&M
2 Corvette C6.R Pacific Coast - ok, on a limb, but I thought that the brothers who were to be the second team this year would be back next year, 1 car for certain.
1 Carsport ???
1 Acemco Aston??
1 Bell Aston ??

I think that there will be another team to add here, though nothing certain. PLus if the rumours that Trans Am is done after this year are true.....

GT2

Same +

2 Car factory backed new effort TBA

Plus Speedquest?

Of course there are another six cars pending financing, so perhaps more... I think 06' will be a good step forward, and 07' a very good year. I think we will be approaching 40 entries again next year, certainly by mid year.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1347372)   #7
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Apart from GT2 there is no competition in any of the classes.

Is there ANY GOOD NEWS on the horizon?

There HAS to be new LMP1 and LMP2 entries next year or the series is effectively dead IMO.

For 3-4 years the series has slowly lost entries with few coming in to the series.

The ALMS desperatly needs at least two competitive entries in LMP1, LMP2 and GT1 to keep the fans interested.
JAG, will you try and post on something other than your usual anti-ALMS rhetoric? every race this season (including today's at Lime Rock) has had more action and competition in it than any other sportscar series out there... as well as F1. its not all about car counts... look at the LMES race at Spa. amazing entry, tons of cars, but i would take the action in any of the ALMS sprint races so far this year over that race.

we all know your views on the ALMS, so please stop posting over and over with the same tired song...
Old 5 Jul 2005, 03:24 (Ref:1347386)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Lola Mazda? I haven't heard that one come up, who is linked to that?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1347388)   #9
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Saleen done for `06?
Old 5 Jul 2005, 03:55 (Ref:1347389)   #10
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Is Saleen done for `06?
haven't heard anything to that effect, i would think ACEMCO will be back with a S7-R or two
Old 5 Jul 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1347390)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Is Saleen done for `06?
I haven't heard anything either... but at some point you've got to wonder for how much longer people will compete in that car. It's simply not that competitive anymore, anywhere. With other cars being offered to the market, will ACEMCO and others look elsewhere. Will ACEMCO look to move up a class, or stick to GT1?

Same basic premise as Carsport... I'm amazed that the car is out there this year...
Old 5 Jul 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1347393)   #12
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I haven't heard anything either... but at some point you've got to wonder for how much longer people will compete in that car. It's simply not that competitive anymore, anywhere. With other cars being offered to the market, will ACEMCO and others look elsewhere. Will ACEMCO look to move up a class, or stick to GT1?

Same basic premise as Carsport... I'm amazed that the car is out there this year...
That would suck IMO, I love the car. In another forum they talked about the ACO rules shinking the rear wing over the last 4 years. But then again, you have to give credit to Corvette.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1347499)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally the way I see things looking is like this, based on the information we have at the moment.

LMP 1:
2 x Champion Audi R8
2 x Dyson Lola EX257
1 x Riley
1 x Miracle Courage
1 x Intersport

LMP 2:
2 x Mazda
1 x Intersport
2 x Penske Porsche
Anything else?

GT1:
2 x Works C6R
2 x Works DBR9 (prodrive have said they will race the car in 06 ALMS if no customer teams can be found)
1 x Acemco Saleen
1 x PCM C5R
1 x Carsport ???

GT2: ???????
Old 5 Jul 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1347568)   #14
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Job, Petersen White Lightning, Flying Lizards, J3 and the Panoz Esperantes are safe bets for GT2 I think.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1347907)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Someone asked about why doesn't a Dome run here in the ALMS...

The chassis is not suited to the North American tracks, which tend to be higher downforce circuits when compated to European tracks...

A Dome did compte in ALMS a few season ago (2002???) and it was toast compared to cars that were better suited to the ALMS venues...

Now Zytek...that's another matter.....the Zytek was rocket fast at Mid-Ohio....there is a chassis that could come here and compete with anyone...even Audi...if it ran a full ALMS season

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1347918)   #16
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched the race live on Motors TV last night, and i was thinking " Thank God theres only 22 cars ". It was manic enough with those, imagine if there were the same numbers we get in LMES. Would they still run there ? I thought it was a good race, but was a bit deflated when the Dyson cars hit trouble. Still, next year is looking great, with all the recent announcements. Especially the Riley.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1347953)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
JAG, will you try and post on something other than your usual anti-ALMS rhetoric? every race this season (including today's at Lime Rock) has had more action and competition in it than any other sportscar series out there... as well as F1. its not all about car counts... look at the LMES race at Spa. amazing entry, tons of cars, but i would take the action in any of the ALMS sprint races so far this year over that race.

we all know your views on the ALMS, so please stop posting over and over with the same tired song...

You quite obviously do not know my views on the ALMS.

I am a huge, huge fan. Anyone who's read my posts over the years will know that.

You can longer keep on dimissing the car counts, it really is becoming quite embarrasing and threatening the future viability of the series.

Rather than defending the indefensible we need a little hope and positive news to get over this, IMO, terrible year.

The ALMS sells itself on its exotic image, the different looks and sounds, the fabulous cars. This is what attract fans to the series. Even cars that are not competing at the head of their class can be fan favourites.

The series need an US LMP1 challenger, how desperatly missed are those Panoz LMP1s!

Lets hope Riley can fill that void.

As I stated in my orignal post, the series only needs a few more competitive entries in LMP1/2 and GT1.

IF that cannot be achieved for 2006, with COMPETIVE CUSTOMER CHASSIS AVAILABLE there is something very, very wrong.

I beleive these new cars will arrive, I'm just a little impatient.

How realistic some of the 2006 lists are in this thread, I'm not sure. If even a 3rd of those news entries turn up it will be something special.

The LMES has shown how new entries spring seemingly out of nowhere when the sereis, chassis avaialbilty and a positive vibe come together.

I'm just hoping 2006 is the year the ALMS gets back on its feet, gets over its inferiority complex with G/A (No. of entries etc.) and gets a bit of its self confidence and swagger back.

PS, please give up expecting more than a small handfull of Euro teams to come over. The ALMS needs to attract US teams to the series, with any Euro visitors being the icing on the cake.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1348017)   #18
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
You quite obviously do not know my views on the ALMS.

I am a huge, huge fan. Anyone who's read my posts over the years will know that.

You can longer keep on dimissing the car counts, it really is becoming quite embarrasing and threatening the future viability of the series.

Rather than defending the indefensible we need a little hope and positive news to get over this, IMO, terrible year.

The ALMS sells itself on its exotic image, the different looks and sounds, the fabulous cars. This is what attract fans to the series. Even cars that are not competing at the head of their class can be fan favourites.

The series need an US LMP1 challenger, how desperatly missed are those Panoz LMP1s!

Lets hope Riley can fill that void.

As I stated in my orignal post, the series only needs a few more competitive entries in LMP1/2 and GT1.

IF that cannot be achieved for 2006, with COMPETIVE CUSTOMER CHASSIS AVAILABLE there is something very, very wrong.

I beleive these new cars will arrive, I'm just a little impatient.

How realistic some of the 2006 lists are in this thread, I'm not sure. If even a 3rd of those news entries turn up it will be something special.

The LMES has shown how new entries spring seemingly out of nowhere when the sereis, chassis avaialbilty and a positive vibe come together.

I'm just hoping 2006 is the year the ALMS gets back on its feet, gets over its inferiority complex with G/A (No. of entries etc.) and gets a bit of its self confidence and swagger back.

PS, please give up expecting more than a small handfull of Euro teams to come over. The ALMS needs to attract US teams to the series, with any Euro visitors being the icing on the cake.
once again... missing the mark.

yes i know and everyone else knows your views on the series and your post is just another confirmation of that... you want more cars.

car counts does not equal competition and i don't think that the ALMS needs to "get back on its feet" because its standing firmly on its own this season. there will ALWAYS be ebb and flow in car counts, esp. when new regs are introduced, so the series will get new entrants and cars... i just don't see the need to post every other day about it. the series has great competition right now (except in GT1 IMO) so lamenting on the fact that there is entries only in the mid-20s is pointless i think.

you will get your new cars in 2006, and there will be a good number of European entries for Petit/Laguna this year so that should wet your appetite for increases in car counts. but if you're going to continue to complain about car counts until then you will only be dissapointed because i hate to break it to you but this is the field you will see until Petit and no amount of "insight" on your part will change that.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1348019)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What does everybody think about the rumours that the ALMS and ChampCar may be linking-up for as many as six events next year?

Here's a commentary from the CC website.

Myself? I think it would be fantastic, almost a "natural" fit. Both series stand to benefit from the other.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1348083)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I see it as a one-way street to benefit OWRS with the exception of Long Beach and maybe the Mexico venues....

But I've covered that ground in other threads and Forums....

Besides, after Miami, I would think that the ALMS would not be anxious to delve into such a partnership....

Mr. Panoz said that in his 2003 "State of the Series" address at Petit Le Mans....they were not interested in "Co-Promote" or "Self-Promote" events...they would rather be the top drawing card and work directly with experienced presenters at venues than play the "Co-Promote" game...

Look it up....they've been ther, done that, and got much less than desirable results out of it than they hoped....and a lot of headaches they didn't bargain for....

Besides, OWRS is no longer at Mid-Ohio, Laguna, or Road America....and the ALMS does well at those venues....they also do well at Portland, where the OWRS did not seem to do well this year....

Why should they share the stage with OWRS, when it doesn't bring the ALMS any benefit????

Sebring???? Robin has to be Kidding!!!!!

There is zero room on the Sebring schedule or in the paddock, and if OWRS would run on Sunday, they would be racing in front of nothing more than piles of trash....the place empties out on Sunday morning.....

and sharing their premiere racing event with OWRS does Zero for the ALMS....

I don't see it happening.....sorry...

Any of the other street races don't make much sense to ALMS....

Final Note....Consider the Source....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1348122)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
CAR COUNTS ARE AS IMPORTANT AS THE COMPETITION!!!!

Your begining to sound like a Grand Am fan trying to convince themselves anyone gives a sh@t about that sham of a series.

The ALMS has not seen ebb and flow, teams have been dropping like flies.

Once Dyson retires, forget P1 its over, time to go home.

LMP2, lets pass shall we.......

GT1, pass me a pillow.

GT2, well Panoz have at least stopped it from becoming the Porshe Supercup.

You need cars for competition, it would be just as entertaining to see a few Panoz and a Riley MkIIIC battling it out for a podium position, as it is to see the Dyson v Champion battle.

ALMS fans continually slate G/A for its uninspiring machinery, so why then defend the ALMS when many of the fabulous machines that gave the series its spark are no longer even competing!

The cars are the stars, but if the 550s, Astons, Zyteks, Panoz are not racing, thats hardly a selling point is it.

My original point was that things are on the up in 2006, in all the classes, but the series HAS to deliver on its promises of new entries (particularly in LMP1/GT1) otherwise its a dead duck.

The Porsche P2 announcement is an excellent start, but we need another two or three announcments of that sort of magnitude (Aston GT1, Riley P1, Zytek P1) to get the series back on track.

One further thing, one off entries at Laguna/PLM/Sebring should not be used to justify poor entries in the rest of the series.

I honestly don't believe I've said anything overly controversial, just saying it as it is.

This fans goodwill is in short supply and if by Sebring 2006 Atherton and co are still preaching the 'wait 'till next year' mantra I will switch off and not return.

Rant over
Old 5 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1348236)   #22
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well, I think we do have Aston for next year, unless I'm mistaken - didn't they say they'd do it themselves if nobody else wud?
Old 6 Jul 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1348394)   #23
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
CAR COUNTS ARE AS IMPORTANT AS THE COMPETITION!!!!

Your begining to sound like a Grand Am fan trying to convince themselves anyone gives a sh@t about that sham of a series.

The ALMS has not seen ebb and flow, teams have been dropping like flies.

Once Dyson retires, forget P1 its over, time to go home.

LMP2, lets pass shall we.......

GT1, pass me a pillow.

GT2, well Panoz have at least stopped it from becoming the Porshe Supercup.

You need cars for competition, it would be just as entertaining to see a few Panoz and a Riley MkIIIC battling it out for a podium position, as it is to see the Dyson v Champion battle.

ALMS fans continually slate G/A for its uninspiring machinery, so why then defend the ALMS when many of the fabulous machines that gave the series its spark are no longer even competing!

The cars are the stars, but if the 550s, Astons, Zyteks, Panoz are not racing, thats hardly a selling point is it.

My original point was that things are on the up in 2006, in all the classes, but the series HAS to deliver on its promises of new entries (particularly in LMP1/GT1) otherwise its a dead duck.

The Porsche P2 announcement is an excellent start, but we need another two or three announcments of that sort of magnitude (Aston GT1, Riley P1, Zytek P1) to get the series back on track.

One further thing, one off entries at Laguna/PLM/Sebring should not be used to justify poor entries in the rest of the series.

I honestly don't believe I've said anything overly controversial, just saying it as it is.

This fans goodwill is in short supply and if by Sebring 2006 Atherton and co are still preaching the 'wait 'till next year' mantra I will switch off and not return.

Rant over
same thing said in a different way, we'll just have to agree to disagree
Old 6 Jul 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1348409)   #24
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"LMP2, lets pass shall we.......

GT1, pass me a pillow.

GT2, well Panoz have at least stopped it from becoming the Porshe Supercup."

Well, seems a bit like lemans? Besides the Dyson comment, although the American team won anyway, I realized it would happen the way it did, I knew our Vettes would win..I knew LMP2 would be a pass..and I knew Porsche would be the winner..So really you should be commenting on the ACO in general? Same situation, less cars...am I right?
Old 6 Jul 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1348482)   #25
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag, while I will agree that the ALMS needs more cars, remember, IMO it was the ALMS that was a large driving force for the ACO to create the LMES, and banished the FIA SSWC.

When that happened, the ALMS lost some 'grip' on ACO regulated sportscar teams from coming 'over the pond'. Why send these teams to the states when the LMES was in most these teams/manufacturers backyard? What did not help, was at the same time, the new rules were/are waiting to hit full speed.

Fact is, the American sportscar (non-Grand Am) scene depends much on european chassis/manufacturer equipment. The Corvettes and Panoz...and yes, the Caddie are rare, and few and far between in the land of NASCAR.

So....for 2006 the Penske/Porsche involvement should act as a catalist (I hope) to bring over some competition....I would think some manufactuerers would want to see how they compare on track prior to, and after LeMans. I believe we will have at least one Riley, as Bill himself, has stated he may decide to run one himself. 'We' have been told to expect a couple Aston's to give Corvette some comapny, and there was a report during LeMans that we could see BMW back in the series. Who, or what class was not divulged. And if I remember correctly Derek Bell is suppose to run a GT1 car with his son (if that is still happening, Corvette I believe).

Others have already provided additional speculation.

Bottom line is the ALMS has had to re-group following the formation of the LMES....so it may still take some time...it may not happen in one year. But believe you me, there are fans very interested in seeing cars like the Zytek. I was at Mid-Ohio and that team was creating quite a buzz....

Is the LAMS is trouble? I don't think so, I am hoping things pick up. But there is no doubt that the sportscar fans here are hungry for this type racing/cars as the series is attracting more fans to the tracks every year...regardless of numbers.

And besides...the ALMS may be few, but it sure seems like the US teams have the cream of the crop seeing their results at LeMans