Old 24 Aug 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1390499)   #1
GT3
Racer

United Kingdom
King's Lynn, Norfolk
GT3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice Please

Hi All,

I am thinking about giving up being a Flag Marshal and moving to the dark world of Scrutineering, I have contacted the MSA and they have sent me an Application Form and a Information Sheet, but before I take the plunge I would like to hear from any other scrutineer's or anyone with Scrutineering experience as to what to expect and the Pro's and Con's.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Steve
Old 24 Aug 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1390517)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst not wishing to tar all scrute's with the same brush...........

Two years ago I applied for - and was granted - a Trainee Environmental Scrutineers licence. Since then, I have found it very difficult to find anyone to give me any advice on how to actually get started (Especially from the MSA!!)

So, 2 yrs on and I still haven't done any scrutineering work - some of the env scr guys were just plain ignorant when approached.
I have now sent my licence and badge back to the MSA
Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1390718)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm an interesting question and one I don't know the answer to either. Have you thought about asking your local centre for which ever club you marshal for, if they have the contact number for the chief scrutineer? That sounds like the easiest route?
Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1390732)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently you can access all the MSA publications on their new funky website (blame "the pits" if this is duff info!!!), if so I'd suggest you have a look in the book that lists all licensed officials - I think it's the Red Book. Find a senior scrutineer who is based near to you and try and make contact with them, hopefully they will be able to help.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1390775)   #5
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am thinking about giving up being a Flag Marshal and moving to the dark world of Scrutineering
Why give up flagging to do it? Why not do a bit of both?

Try sending brickkicker a pm, he is a scroat (or something like that!)
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1391037)   #6
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can the Marshalling fraternity 'afford' to lose a "brother" to the darkside that is scrutineering? Can't offer you any advice,but best of luck.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1391066)   #7
GT3
Racer

United Kingdom
King's Lynn, Norfolk
GT3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help and advice - it's very much appriciated!

Quote:
Apparently you can access all the MSA publications on their new funky website (blame "the pits" if this is duff info!!!), if so I'd suggest you have a look in the book that lists all licensed officials - I think it's the Red Book. Find a senior scrutineer who is based near to you and try and make contact with them, hopefully they will be able to help.
I have tried to create an account on the site using my Licence Number but all I get is 'Incorrect Log In Details' - has it worked for anybody else?

Quote:
Why give up flagging to do it? Why not do a bit of both?
Had not thought about that, but then again those who know me will know that I seem to have an unhealthy attraction to cars - still can't find that magnet and MSV are getting tired of repairing all those marshals posts!

Quote:
Have you thought about asking your local centre for which ever club you marshal for, if they have the contact number for the chief scrutineer? That sounds like the easiest route?
I will certainly do that Steve, You would think the MSA would include something like that with the application and information forms ........
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1391286)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3
. . .
I have tried to create an account on the site using my Licence Number but all I get is 'Incorrect Log In Details' - has it worked for anybody else?
Not for me. Now on my third "reminder" of my supposed password. The site is still c***. (Even if a slightly better kind of c*** than the previous one which was a very bad joke.) Another Thrush HQ triumph.

This and other evidence suggests that the MSA ought to go back to card index and someone holding up placards.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 25 Aug 2005 at 20:00. Reason: spelling
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1391309)   #9
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3, one of our crew is also wanting to add the "dark side" to his qualifications. One thing that has made it difficult for him is the early starts 07:00 is not uncommon. He doesn't find the early starts a problem just that few of us are prepared to get up earlier knowing that he might still be at the meeting a couple of hours after the racing has finished. (and we think we have long days)
What you will need is a mentor (an existing Scrut. who will take you under his wing & show you the ways of the "dark side") So I would suggest speak to the scruts. at your next meeting & see if any of them will take you on.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1391323)   #10
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GT3, one of our crew is also wanting to add the "dark side" to his qualifications. One thing that has made it difficult for him is the early starts 07:00 is not uncommon. He doesn't find the early starts a problem just that few of us are prepared to get up earlier knowing that he might still be at the meeting a couple of hours after the racing has finished. (and we think we have long days)
Good point so no one else can moan about early starts and late finishes LOL