Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1432182)   #1
roger saretzki
Rookie

roger saretzki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manfred Mohr

wanted photos , informations , programs , about MANFRED MOHR

rogerracing@web.de 0049 7742 2668

regards roger
Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1432247)   #2
Michael Aikey
Rookie

United States
Albany, New York
Michael Aikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger,
If you obtain any information on Mohr, such as date and location of birth, I would appreciate knowing. I have an autographed photo of Mohr driving a Lotus Formula 3 at Nurburgring in 1971.

Michael
Old 13 Oct 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1432422)   #3
roger saretzki
Rookie

hi michael
can you mail me a picture from the autographed photo? have you been there at the
race? have you got taken any photos at this event?
regards roger
Old 14 Oct 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1433429)   #4
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the '68 (I think 68) autumn Motor Show meeting at the Brands Hatch GP circuit, I was racing an ex-Brian Newton Tecno F3 Broadspeed owned by FRCBoothby. We had two heats and a final. In heat one, I think I was running about 13th behind Charles Carling. Giving him some pressure, he half spun at Westfield and I ducked round the 'outside', only to find him forcing me onto the grass. Which was wet. So I slid gracefully into the bank on the outside. This flipped me upside down and in the era before seatbelts, I was half flung out and the car landed on top of me and spread me like jam down the road. It then emptied the fuel tank over me and doused me in almost boiling water, both of which hurt.
The real problem was that my leg was stuck up inside the car and I couldn't move. Luckily, it didn't set fire to me! I was in a bit of a mess though and it took them 12 minutes to get me out.
Anyway, cutting a long story, I ended up in Sidcup hospital. Later that day Manfred Mohr was bought in, as I recall because he'd had an accident in the Final, also in a Tecno and had badley broken a leg. We had a couple of weeks mending together and then as his leg was in bad shape, I spent a few more weeks visiting him in Sidcup before he was released.
I dimly remember that he did a little more regular racing after that, maybe flirted with more F3 and F2. I thought he hailed from Switzerland, driving a for an Italian team, but it might have been the other way round. Very nice chap, but he didn't like pain!
Old 14 Oct 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1433465)   #5
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a lot about him in Jurg Dubler's excellent book (2 volumes in French translated from German) about F3. They were good friends. Mohr was German and from the Black Forest region. Quite a character and apparently very quick, until that accident at Brands at least.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1433622)   #6
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had another look at the Dubler book I mentioned (www.editions-palmier.fr). It
has a lot of stories about Manfred Mohr. When Dubler first met him he had just purchased a Brabham F3; then switched later to De Sanctis and to Tecno. Dubler says that following the Brands Hatch accident he had to wear a spring on his right leg for six months, to help him lift his foot off the accelerator! He later had a contract with Ford Germany to drive touring cars (Capri). He continued in F3 with sponsorship from Ford, coaching Jochen Mass when he started racing single seaters, and ended up racing with Martino Finotto, again in touring cars.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1433725)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
This flipped me upside down and in the era before seatbelts, I was half flung out and the car landed on top of me and spread me like jam down the road. It then emptied the fuel tank over me and doused me in almost boiling water, both of which hurt.
The real problem was that my leg was stuck up inside the car and I couldn't move. Luckily, it didn't set fire to me!
John, I'm truly amazed and delighted that you are here to recount that incredible event. I guess not much fazes you now. (sorry, bit off topic)
Old 14 Oct 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1433877)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was uncomfortable at the time! You think you'd learn . . .
It appears I didn't do Manfred justice.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1434551)   #9
roger saretzki
Rookie

hi all together
thanks for all the infos , i am going to meet manfred next week as well as martin
stphani his friend at the time . i hope to get some more infos from a very fantasic
period of racing .
if you have any infos , dokoments to share let me know.
regards roger