Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2001, 23:48 (Ref:70269)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sale of motor racing memorabilia has raised a significant amount of money for the family of Australian Grand Prix marshal Graham Beveridge, who was killed during the Melbourne race.

A number of Formula One personnel donated items for the motor racing auctions, which was put together to raise funds for the family of Beveridge.

The family will receive £30,000 (pounds) from the FIA following the tragedy, but the final total will be significantly increased by proceeds from the auction.

Among the donations were signed race suits from the top three finishers in the tragic race - Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello - which sold for £25,000 altogether.

Eddie Jordan and Benetton chief Flavio Briatore donated a scooter autographed by Michael Schumacher which they bought at the Australian Grand Prix ball for £12,000.

The scooter sold for £50,000 on Australian television's 'The Footy Show', but the buyer backed out after the final bid was accepted and the scooter will now be re-auctioned.

With reported donations of £10,000 from both Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone and Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker, the final total could exceed £100,000.
Old 12 Mar 2001, 00:02 (Ref:70275)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I think this is obviously goodwill on the part of the F1 fraternity, and heaven knows Mrs Beveridge would rather have Graham back home than any amount of money, would it really be that difficult to organise some kind of Track Official Insurance Policy?

£30,000 from the FIA doesn't sound an awful lot, and given that BE is the biggest earner out of all of them, It really wouldn't hurt for him to lead by example and give the family the equivalent of at least twenty five or thirty years salary.

Given that circuit personnel fatalities are rare (although on a statistical basis, the last five races look terrible) insurance to cover this sort of thing should be able to take care of this poor woman for the rest of her life.

No matter what the premium, FOCA should be able to take care of it. As we have heard an awful lot recently, any kind of racing at this or any level would not be possible without the VOLUNTARY efforts of these people.

We should expect the Formula One establishment to take care of them at this time without the need for good will.

Old 14 Mar 2001, 21:45 (Ref:71194)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible for the general public to contribute to a fund for the Marshall?

Good point about insurance. And I too believe Bernie is being stingy.
Old 14 Mar 2001, 22:01 (Ref:71204)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Gerard started this thread, and I responded with my post, I felt awful for stopping it in its tracks...

Sorry Gerard.

Of course, it is great that individuals from the F1 fraternity have contributed, but as I said before, it shouldn't be about goodwill. There's no mention of Williams contribution - are we to infer that they don't care? Of course not!

But if it was the case that a sizeable policy covered all track workers - not linked to the circuit, but to the 'circus' - it would take the responsibility away from individuals and ensure that the partes involved would be adequately cared for.

Sorry guys, that's just the way I see it.

Last edited by Sparky; 14 Mar 2001 at 22:03.
Old 14 Mar 2001, 22:14 (Ref:71212)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but I think it should be coverd by an insurance policy of some sort taken out by F1 or the circuit.

I agree with the sales and contributions but these should be on top of a minimum sum that would ensure that life will continue unhindered for any relatives.

I am not usually in favour of compensation as it seem nowdays so many people are jumping on the bandwagen, however this is one of the cases that I think should be covered. Did he not give his services and ultimatly his life for nought ?? I think not, come on Bernie, talk to an insurance company.

Simon