Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1509832)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Where Are They Now?

Great idea on the CCWS website.
"Where Are They Now?"

Emerson Fittipaldi

Willy T. Ribbs

Congrats on your impending marriage, Emmo!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1512594)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thought more people would have jumped on this one!

Here are my suggestions for future articles:

Dick Simon
Tom Bagley
The Fabi Brothers - at least Teo, anyway!
Howdy Holmes
Roberto Guererro

No offense to Emmo but the "big" names stay pretty newsworthy but some of the interesting mid-field types lead quieter lives. Be cool to see what they are up to now.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1513030)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dick Simon is running a boat dealership last I heard.

Corrado Fabi quit racing to run the family business after their father died. I don't know what Teo is doing but I remember recently seeing a picture of him in Autosport with his son.

Tom Bagley runs a racing themed country club in Illinois.

Howdy Holmes runs the company that makes "Jiffy Mix"

Roberto I think I saw on that one really good movie about the Baja 1000 "Dust to Glory" with his son.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1513134)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Howdy was a character. I believe "E-Z Wider," a manufacturer of cigarette papers (which of course could be used for other somewhat similar products!) was his sponsor for some time.

Tom's in-laws actually lived near me and I had the pleasure of speaking to his father-in-law a few times - very nice folks.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1513543)   #5
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know what Teo Fabi and Roberto Guererro are up to. What about Rick Mears? I know he's a consultant at Penske but that can't be all he is up to.

I'm interested in the people who manage to break away from motor racing after their moment(s) of fame. Ribb's sharpshooter interest seems to be a bit down the same alley doesn't it? Precision aim and reaction time are required of both.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1513572)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Old Racing Cars is your friend.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1513830)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for that link, ensign14.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1514007)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed the Willy T Ribbs story.

I seem to remember years ago that Michael Douglas bought the rights to make a movie of his life , dont know what ever happened to that though
Old 3 Feb 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1514707)   #9
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Willy T story is truly fantastic...he is a vibrant, honest, worthy man....he was never a world champ...but gee... he tried as hard as anybody ever has
Old 6 Feb 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1516719)   #10
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one may be a stumper, but does anyone know anything about Bill Alsup? He raced in CART in the early 80's and finished second in points in 1981 according to the 1986 media guide I have. I've never heard very much about this driver and was wondering if anyone had any more information.

J.D.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 04:40 (Ref:1517003)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Bill Alsup, iirc, ran Formula Super Vee and also ran quite well in the old VW Rabbit/Scirocco series. Won a few SCCA National Championships in FSV, I believe.

I think he got the brief ride at the top of the heap, so to speak and then went back to do some more sedan racing and such.

Always seemed to be a decent guy. Quick on his day and handy in a variety of race cars. I think (not sure here) that he was more of an engineer than a driver and that he focused on engineering later. Could well be wrong on that point.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1517409)   #12
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the information. I'll have to look in the old CART Media Guide and see if I find anymore lesser known drivers.

J.D.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1520230)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Danny Sullivan.