Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1498740)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Shout It Out Loud

"Shout it out loud"...
Lyrics from a KISS tune of the same name...

The IRL has just contracted Gene Simmons to be involved in marketing, public relations, sponsorship, merchandising and branding efforts this year.

Quote:
The first product of the association is the debut of an “I am INDY” campaign that is anchored by a signature song, co-authored by Simmons and BAG. The IRL says this “marks the first official theme song for a modern professional sport."

In conjunction with Simmons Abramson Marketing, the Indy Racing League has engaged the support of B|W|R, a Los Angeles-based public relations agency, to “front-line position the drivers and teams as celebrities, athletes and compelling personalities,” the IRL says.
Story here.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1498799)   #2
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/indy.m3u

OBTW, Who's Mindy?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1498871)   #3
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The song is crap, but the marketing Idea is well intentioned.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1500410)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
In an era where we have people dressed as pierogies in a footrace (Pittsburgh Pirate baseball games) and every sports team has mascots, etc., I guess we had to see this coming. Just as CC has their tie-in with rock concerts and the "musical interludes" they used to seque to commercials during the televised races last season I suppose IRL wanted to take advantage of the same thing.

I believe we see Gene Simmons in a beer commercial (Miller?) on a regular basis, Ted Nugent has a reality show and so I guess there is life after youth for aging rockstars.

If it works for Miller Brewing - I don't think they are "washed up" - it can work for IRL. Miller certainly spends a good bit of coin on autosports so there may be a tie in there somewhere down the road.

Personally I think all sports need to spend more time on their core product rather than trying to create additional entertainment to enhance game or race day events via mascots, etc.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1500835)   #5
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Personally I think all sports need to spend more time on their core product rather than trying to create additional entertainment to enhance game or race day events via mascots, etc.
Your sentiment echoes exactly Robin Miller's comments in this article. I think you both are right on the money.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1500857)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will future floodlit races be advertised as 'Crazy Crazy Nights'?

Gene Simmons did a reality show here in the UK last year, he's still a well-known face (both with and without the make-up), so this could be a good thing for the series.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1500901)   #7
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
armchair racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refutation
The song is crap, but the marketing Idea is well intentioned.
the song is one of the all time rock classics ( live on kiss alive 2) , saw them at deeside leisure centre in 1980 aged 14 , rock gods
Old 14 Jan 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1500992)   #8
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer
the song is one of the all time rock classics ( live on kiss alive 2) , saw them at deeside leisure centre in 1980 aged 14 , rock gods
armchair, I think that Refutation meant that the new song that Gene Simmons wrote for the IRL was crap. As to whether "Shout It Out Loud" is an all time rock classic, well that's for another forum.