Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1653249)   #1
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya replaced by de la Rosa from now onwards

We've now seen the last of Montoya in F1 it seems. Shame it all ended so suddenly

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36587
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1653252)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Those first corner shunts will never be the same. *sob*
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1653268)   #3
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a shame he is not even doing one more race, a Farwell for the fans, I understand this may not make the best business sense but I do hope that he is in the F1 Paddock again soon so at the very least he gets to hear a few people let him know they apprecate the entertainment he has provided.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1653266)   #4
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great loss for F1.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1653270)   #5
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My take on this is that Ron is being a little petulant. Take away all the veneer of caring sharing attitude in the team's official line and it smacks of "You didn't want to wait to see if we'd keep you, so bye bye". Maybe Ron thinks 3rd place in the constructors is secured now.

I'm glad I got to see Juan race this season in the flesh and it's a shame to think mistakes and all aside we likely won't see him again in an F1 car. I for one will miss his attitude and commitment to racing (when he was up for it).

Oh and anyone know any channels on Sky that show NASCAR?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1653278)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I really didn't think that would happen! As I strongly said. Crikey.

How silly.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1653279)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So sad.

There goes another slice of my enthusiasm for F1...
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1653280)   #8
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad, I cant believe it. I hope he will return one day maybe. He's left us with many great memories, even if the last 2 years have been a bit dissapointing. A shame he didnt get the send off he actually deserves, and a shame for his fans.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1653282)   #9
Racer Scott
Racer

Racer Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's for the best for all concerned.

Montoya can have a break and get prepared for a very busy time ahead.

McLaren can focus on the future with a driver who'll be hungry to do well.

I did think this may happen as soon as the NASCAR news broke - often when you know you're leaving a job there's a tendency not to give it your all.

Good luck JPM and good luck PdlR.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1653300)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The press releases make it sound like the decision was made more by JPM, citing personal reasons. Perhaps Connie has a second child on the way?

Pedro now has a great chance to stake a claim for the second car next year, although if he doesn't perform the chance will surely be given to otehrs. With McLaren a long way behind 2nd and well ahead of 4th in the CC, they can afford to take risks with the second car.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1653303)   #11
Racer Scott
Racer

Racer Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pedro is a safe pair of hands, keeping the seat warm until Alonso arrives to partner Raikkonen next year, I reckon.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1653306)   #12
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This shouldnt all be about JPM, This will be another great chance for Pedro to show what he can do. Good luck Pedro
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1653308)   #13
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the jist of Montoya's press releases of late, it doesn't sound like he's happy. So it makes sense.

de la Rosa was highly entertaining in Bahrain last year, but I suspect that might have been a one off. I can't see him doing better than JPM, but I do hope I'm wrong. I have a lot of time for Pedro!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1653311)   #14
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good. For everyone's misty eyed sentimentality about him today Monty has been a non-entity this year and won't be missed.

De La Rosa could add some spice though, remember Barcelona last year? At least a different driver in the top-10 will be fresh for a bit.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1653314)   #15
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably one of the saddest mommnets in F1 for me.
Not that I was much of Montoya's fan, but he sure added some life in the sport.
I remember how surprised I was when he came to McLaren - he somehow just didn't fit Ron's style in last decade or so, and now... Well, I just hope it's best for everybody involved (for Pedro it sure is, and for the rest - we'll never really know)
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:09 (Ref:1653316)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sad to see him go so quickly but I'm sure it will be for the best.

Pedro has a good chance but the Hamilton noises might mean he gets a few rest weekends. We'll see.

Bye Bye Monty, enjoy yourself.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1653318)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza4ever
They are shown LIVE on the NASN channel. Number 417.

There is a freeview highlights prog on at 6pm today. (Most progs on that channel are subscription only).
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1653323)   #18
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza4ever
Motors TV - CH413 - they show both NASCAR and Busch.

Now when are a few other's going to follow him to become "Good ol' boys" and show their mettle!

JV's already said that he'd consider it.

I'd love to see Michael out there too!

Rob.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1653327)   #19
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Motors TV - CH413 - they show both NASCAR and Busch.
Do Motors show the Nextel cup? Isn't it just Busch they show?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1653331)   #20
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see him go so quikly
Bye bye Montoya good luck in the nascar serie
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1653333)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they just show BUSCH.

Shame for Montie, but I'm very pleased for Pedro. He's done a lot of hard work this year and I'm sure he'll make a great impression in the races.

Although, I suspect Hamilton will race when his GP2 commitments are over...
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1653336)   #22
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess I was lucky in that I got to see his last race LIVE at Indy.

An interesting irony was that on the way out of the track after the race, we walked by the gate that the drivers park and exit from. As I was crossing the road, JPM drove right past me.

Little did I realize that it was his final exit.

I hope he does well in NASCAR and I'll be rooting for him. I also hope the Columbian contingent that was always at the USGP will come back if there is a 2007 USGP; I'll miss them too!

If the Columbians decide to attend the 2007 Brickyard 500 instead, I may have to go just to see the crowd's reaction to their antics.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1653339)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news. I was looking forward to watching him test at Silverstone in September, as a sort of personal goodbye (for now).

For god sake McLaren give Paffet and Hamilton a chance when the opportunity arises!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1653345)   #24
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sad to see him go, but if he really was that unhappy then its the best thing for him and McLaren.

I must admit I was surprised when he decided to sign for McLaren. I thought he would get stifled in the corporate image they maintain and also not take to being second fiddle to Raikonnen. Not that it was probably intentional, but Ron loves his Finns. This is probably what has happened.

He was a joy to watch at Williams and he had me on the edge of my seat back then. He is a character and will be missed.

As for what the second half of the season brings, I notice that Pedro is only specifically stated as driving in France? Will McLaren use the rest of the season to give other drivers a chance ie. Paffet and Hamilton? Whatever happens, I hope Pedro gets a good run. I like the guy and think he deserves another shot.

Last edited by Spudgun; 11 Jul 2006 at 11:47.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1653347)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had feared this would happen and that final goodbye couldn't be said. Seems like McLaren weren't too chuffed he came out with this. Although they did sign JPM mid 2003 from Williams!

I agree with Knowlesy, now is the time to get Paffett and Hamilton some race experience. De la Rosa is a solid driver, but is he honestly going to feature in McLaren's future race plans ?

Tags
jpm