Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1686762)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
SFW to sell to Toyota?

Eddie Jordan has urged Sir Frank to sell his team to Toyota.Is it a good idea? Will it end the lean spell Williams are currently having? Will Toyota even be interested in buying?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37056
Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1686763)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams, during his F1 career, emerged no one but two teams.
The first one entered in 1969, used to struggle and was finally sold to Walter Wolf in 1976.
The second one started in 1977 and since then is one of the most successful teams in F1 history. Don't know if Frank would want to sold his team again that easily.

Last edited by Mekola; 19 Aug 2006 at 20:40.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1686776)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Mekola points out, Sir Frank Williams has been know to sell his team in the past.

However, I am unsure as to why Toyota would wish to purchase Williams. Ultimately, given Toyota's budget they could obtain facilities which are comparable to the best in the sport at their German base. Whilst Williams have traditonally tended to be strong with their chasis designs, I am unconvinced that this remains the case. Therefore such a purchase may not accelerate Toyota's progress in F1.

That said, a purchase could occur if Toyota decide that they wish to have a second team, either to give their young drivers some experience like Toro Rosso or perhaps they may want a Lexus branded team as well.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1686818)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't understand why Toyota would buy Williams. The logic is registering at zero on my logicity scale. Maybe it needs calibrated!

I'm sure EJ has suggested this before, I seem to remember it being written in his frankly odd F1 Racing column sometime last year. It struck me as a rubbish plan at the time and nothing has changed.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1686821)   #5
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rarely take anything EJ has to say in his F1 racing column seriously. He has written some quite frankly ridiculous things in there from time to time.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1686830)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I don't understand why Toyota would buy Williams. The logic is registering at zero on my logicity scale. Maybe it needs calibrated!

I'm sure EJ has suggested this before, I seem to remember it being written in his frankly odd F1 Racing column sometime last year. It struck me as a rubbish plan at the time and nothing has changed.
Your logic is doing fine. Non-sense Toyota buying Williams.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1686843)   #7
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But think of the the street cred you would get driving around in a Yaris Williams. Says it all really.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1686851)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamness
But think of the the street cred you would get driving around in a Yaris Williams. Says it all really.
Yeah but you would never get where you wanted to go... just when you thought you would make it on your way... BOOM... some design element not tested in 4.3 million kilometres of testing blows up and teh car stops

Old 20 Aug 2006, 00:58 (Ref:1686854)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toyota doesn't need to buy Williams to sell a "Williams model".

And lately, I don't think anyone would like to buy it.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 05:20 (Ref:1686917)   #10
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is possible that Toyota would like to use Williams brand to break into the supersports car market. Just like what Merc is doing with their SLR.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1686944)   #11
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, considering that Toyota are already ahead of William's on the grid with their own team...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1687254)   #12
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That will be the end of me cheering for Williams.

Too bad to see the name going off like that, especially with such a rich history.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1687257)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well fear not.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1687269)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

The deal with the engines problably will allow Toyota to use Williams brand at some level.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1687336)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Why would Toyota want to buy Williams?

They already have its own F1 team...?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1687491)   #16
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Eddie Jordan has urged Sir Frank to sell his team to Toyota.Is it a good idea? Will it end the lean spell Williams are currently having? Will Toyota even be interested in buying?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37056
Does anybody listen to Eddie Jordan? Has anybody ever listened to Eddie Jordan?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1687529)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Does anybody listen to Eddie Jordan? Has anybody ever listened to Eddie Jordan?
Well,considering that he was the one that introduced TGF to F1,somebody must.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1687533)   #18
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Snakes, man. I am skeptical.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1687538)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Snakes, man. I am skeptical.
You also seem to be something else.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1687541)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
There were times, not often, that he got lucky.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1687545)   #21
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You also seem to be something else.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1687769)   #22
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bononi. My sarcasm was obviously lost on you. A Yaris Williams ? The Clio was bad enough.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1687775)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamness
Bononi. My sarcasm was obviously lost on you. A Yaris Williams ? The Clio was bad enough.
I got it
Old 26 Aug 2006, 02:26 (Ref:1691853)   #24
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With all due respect, I think that Toyota has a hard time managing 2 cars. If it'd buy Williams, it would double it's trouble...
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1692880)   #25
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
With all due respect, I think that Toyota has a hard time managing 2 cars. If it'd buy Williams, it would double it's trouble...
The idea has appeal. Buy Team Willy and then Toyota will have two two-car teams, much like Red Bull. However, I suggest they should create inter-team competition, the way Ford does when it hires MBAs from Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. Malthusian competition could drive one of the Toyota teams to the top of the F1 heap.