Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1677652)   #1
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Piquet going in 2007?

Ive read in some Brasilian site Piquet has a contract offer to be Renault's test driver. It also said he was negotiating with McLaren, Red Bull, Honda and Williams to be a test driver and with Toro Rosso for a race seat. Assuming this is true, and we all know speculation is a must in F1 press, to me it looks like Renault test driver, if true, would be the best bet, because they test a lot and in case he shows his good enough, Im sure he would make it to a race sit in 2008. Now I know many of you cant stand the guy, but im sure he will make it to F1, his young enough, his quick, a lot of present F1 drivers are not getting any younger and he has a famous surname that will help. lol
What you think will happen?
Old 8 Aug 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1677667)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine that Renault will employ Piquet Jnr, for they have tended to appoint drivers from their Driver Development Programme, so I'd imagine that Kovaleinen will be promoted and Lopez brought into his place. Who ends up testing for McLaren depneds largely on who gets their second seat, but given their preferences over the last few years I'd imagine that it will be a combination of one of their junior drivers (Paffett or Green maybe) and someone with racing experience. Red Bull is a possibility, although I suspect that they may attempt to keep Klien in the fold by offering him testing duties. Racing for Toro Rosso is also unlikely to occur as I suspect that Speed and Liuzzi will be retained.

This leaves Williams which must have a good chance of happening, although Piquet has tested for them in the past and nothing came of it or Honda which may be a possibility given that they may be in need of a test driver if Davidson does leave and the fact that Carroll has recently left the team.

One thing I have read in a couple of places, is that Piquet is negotiating with Super Aguri and may test for them at some point this year and race for them next season. Although this does sound slightly fanciful, it may come to fruition if Piquet wants to enter F1 as soon as possible and that assuming Super Aguri can get hold of this years Honda chassis, plus Honda builds a good '07 engine it may not be a bad place to be to gain some experience of F1.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1677783)   #3
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is true, Piquet should ask Mr. Briatore for a chance... For me Renault would be the best place to be testing, even because Fisi is not so young and has been a kind of disappointment in the last two seasons. It would be much better for the team then choosing Lopez, who hasn't shined enough in GP2.

BTW, to that happen Heikki might be promoted, in my point of view.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1677816)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
One thing I have read in a couple of places, is that Piquet is negotiating with Super Aguri and may test for them at some point this year and race for them next season. Although this does sound slightly fanciful, it may come to fruition if Piquet wants to enter F1 as soon as possible and that assuming Super Aguri can get hold of this years Honda chassis, plus Honda builds a good '07 engine it may not be a bad place to be to gain some experience of F1.
I read this too, he was, apparently, with Honda a lot of the weekend.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1677999)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I heard that too. I guess it will be Super Aguri for a start.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1678191)   #6
Mission
Rookie

England
Mission should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be Honda. If AD gets a drive, a test is available and RB's contract expires at the end of 2007. That means that a 2008 drive would be a possibility.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1678222)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Piquet races A1's at the moment doesn't he?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Aug 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1678244)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Also he races in GP2.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1678737)   #9
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
I heard that too. I guess it will be Super Aguri for a start.
If he's not Japanese, he will not make it to Aguri team
Old 9 Aug 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1678746)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
Like Montagny? Or Davidson, who Super Aguri have said they are "very interested" in?
Old 9 Aug 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1678774)   #11
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i think he is fav for HONDA either SA or honda works team test driver.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1678782)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Agreed. Who's the most beloved driver of all times in Japan ?
Old 9 Aug 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1678787)   #13
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1679014)   #14
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Word is that it is more a requirement for their first year in F1. Can only assume Aguri made some assurances to some people.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1679021)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well Alienman, from what i've seen of Piquet out of car during the last few Eurosport shows, he (or his family) have almost always been hanging around with Renault guys in the pit lane.

So I guess it's fairly safe to put two and two together like you say and think that something must be going on between the two camps?
Old 10 Aug 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1679077)   #16
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Personally I think Renault is the best move if it’s true. Looking at the new racing drives that have shown talent and speed, Piquet is one of the few that is still a free agent and looking at Renault, there is no top driver free in F1 and wont be for the next years, so they have to bet on new talent, they have Kovalainen, but with Ferrari with Schumacher and Kimi, McLaren with Alonso and Hamilton, Renault needs someone good to be with Kovalainen in 2008 and I don’t see any of the Renault Driver Development Program ready to be in there in 2008. And if you want to talk about Lopez, comparing him with Piquet doesn’t look hard to see who Renault would go for. And if we also add commercial interest to the equation, Brazil is a very big market for a car maker like Renault, Piquet is a well known name in Brazil, summing all that up, doesn’t look that impossible… I think.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1679138)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I had talked alot in past threads about relations between a car market and a driver, so I won't comment here anymore. If Piquet Jrn can count on something to link it with Renault, it would be his famous surname in F1.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1679324)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A year of testing does seem to me to be the best option for Piquet Jr, before he moves into a race seat.

I'm not entirely convinced of Piquets credentials at this moment in time however. He can be devastating (like in Hungary GP2 rounds last weekend). On the other hand, he can be mesmerically rubbish. Very up and down.

But hey, maybe he's on the up from now on. He was supreme last weekend as I say, so maybe he will just kick on now?
Old 11 Aug 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1680247)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is the inconsistency down to driver or team though? They're not as experienced a squad as ART, and probably no better funded. Judging by second driver performances, ART is likely to be a stronger team overall.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1680791)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is something I noticed in British F3 as well though. But he was still a good champion that year, don't get me wrong.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 02:17 (Ref:1680963)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
If this is true, Piquet should ask Mr. Briatore for a chance... For me Renault would be the best place to be testing, even because Fisi is not so young and has been a kind of disappointment in the last two seasons. It would be much better for the team then choosing Lopez, who hasn't shined enough in GP2.

BTW, to that happen Heikki might be promoted, in my point of view.
Piquet has ever better equipment than López to shine in GP2. He has an own team made around him, since his SouthAm F3 days! The logistic of his father is very relevant at that point.
And about Renault tests, López are doing them so well, Renault test team like him, so there is no need to drop him from that role. And they mantained Montagny for years...
Old 13 Aug 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1681384)   #22
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
With Kovalainen behing promoted to a race drive, there will be an available test drive sit at Renault, if Lopez will be there too or not is other matter.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1682225)   #23
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Last year he won the two first rounds at brands hatch then 3 podiumsin 6 races and then nothing in the last 14 races.

Last edited by madmed; 14 Aug 2006 at 14:14.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1682276)   #24
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is also a rumour that Super Aguri have offered Albers a drive

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=126225

Would have thought a test drive with Renault would be good for Piquet, if Renault supply customer engines to another team maybe he could then get a drive for that team, perhaps in 2008 after a year of testing. Though if Fisichella doesn't improve then maybe he could get a Renault race drive in 2008...
Old 14 Aug 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1682298)   #25
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
There is also a rumour that Super Aguri have offered Albers a drive
Which if true, could substantiate the view that Super Aguri will not be sticking to their all Japanese line up next year, perhaps paving the way for Piquet or Davidson to go there (assuming that Albers stays at Midland, which seems to be suggested as his prefered option in the article).