Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Dec 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1790913)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aasa & Qr...

Whispers from the powder room suggest that Queensland Raceway is to become an AASA-only-licenced circuit for 2007..

Where this is significant is that the Queensland-based V8Supercar teams are all testing at the QR circuit... and that the V8Supercar series is rubber stamped by the Australian FIA ASN licenceholder in CAMS...

Will the TEGA technical controllers still show up at the test days to watch the cars go round if it is an AASA-certified show?

Conflicts all round due soon methinks

Presuming any of this actually happened
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1790931)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No QLD rounds in 07 ?
Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1790938)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You would hope not, but I dont know how else to interpret it
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1790939)   #4
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this the situation at Calder during ride days?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1790941)   #5
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Whispers from the powder room suggest that Queensland Raceway is to become an AASA-only-licenced circuit for 2007..

Where this is significant is that the Queensland-based V8Supercar teams are all testing at the QR circuit... and that the V8Supercar series is rubber stamped by the Australian FIA ASN licenceholder in CAMS...

Will the TEGA technical controllers still show up at the test days to watch the cars go round if it is an AASA-certified show?

Conflicts all round due soon methinks

I heard the same rumour.

Why didn't you just drag up the "Queensland Raceway" thread I created back in 2004 for exactly this reason...... we're covering the same ground.

I'm sure we can find someone other than Racetime or storyline to flog the pro-AASA drum this time!!!!!!!

If we're heading down this road again, it is most disappointing.

Powder room representatives also suggest that investigations about the viability of using Morgan Park as a testing venue have also been explored by a certain team/s......
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1790950)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
Why didn't you just drag up the "Queensland Raceway" thread I created back in 2004 for exactly this reason...... we're covering the same ground.
It seems to be an annual event... but somehow at the very last minute, the CAMS deal is signed, and everyone is friends. I understand from the powderettes that this one is the real deal (any boys crying wolf somewhere? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon EL
Powder room representatives also suggest that investigations about the viability of using Morgan Park as a testing venue have also been explored by a certain team/s......
Wont fix this little gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 V8Supercar Calendar
20-22 July Qld Raceway Ipswich
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Dec 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1790986)   #7
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
No QLD rounds in 07 ?
They've got Indy haven't they??
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1790994)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe, there is a problem with TV rights between Indy and V8 Supercars.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1790995)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Not necessarily... if the teev impasse isnt fixed, there may not be a V8Supercar race their either
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Dec 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1791014)   #10
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The news I heard as of last week - & yes, I know that can be an eternity in racing - was that QR was going to get a CAMS licence for a total of (an estimated) 12 days.

This would cover the V8 round, V8 testing & the historics meeting (apparently).

The rest of the time would be AASA.

What can be confirmed is that next season there is potentially a hell of a lot of racing in Qld next year. This is what we have in circuit racing-

CAMS - State Campionship, 6 rounds, all at Morgan Park.

Top Gear/AASA meets at QR- (for those who don't know, it's a 1 day meet, 1 qual. session, 6 races on all 4 layouts of the circuit, $95 entry!!) Have to admit, race my first top gear meeting recently - great fun!!!

QR are also holding a AASA 4 round 'state' championship - 2 day meetings, & are apparantly intending to give back 20% of the entry fee in prize money...

I can tell you there are a few clubs up here seriously weighing up the pros & cons of what series to commit to...

A senior member of one of these clubs had the idea of creating their own club championship by running a couple of each! I guess that way you still show support to both organisations & still give members variety....
Old 15 Dec 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1791018)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently said V8 teams were almighty quick out there too, which was quite interesting. Lot of corners out there to test your car on... but for corporate days, where would you like to be??

But is V8 Supercar all that important to QR? An awful lot of stuff goes on out there every single day of the year, most of it aint got a lot to do with V8s or Cams...
Old 15 Dec 2006, 01:04 (Ref:1791026)   #12
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Apparently said V8 teams were almighty quick out there too, which was quite interesting. Lot of corners out there to test your car on... but for corporate days, where would you like to be??

But is V8 Supercar all that important to QR? An awful lot of stuff goes on out there every single day of the year, most of it aint got a lot to do with V8s or Cams...
So a current spec V8 has done laps at MP? Interesting. I do know it is getting harder to get any track time out there. Aside from the travel time I would much prefer some laps around MP over QR as a Corporate day... just an extra 30 min in the whirlybird to get there

What about the HPDC - never been there, only seen it on tele. Would it be suitable for testing?

Then there is/was damn Darlington Park .....
Old 15 Dec 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1791035)   #13
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
What can be confirmed is that next season there is potentially a hell of a lot of racing in Qld next year. This is what we have in circuit racing-

CAMS - State Campionship, 6 rounds, all at Morgan Park.

Top Gear/AASA meets at QR- (for those who don't know, it's a 1 day meet, 1 qual. session, 6 races on all 4 layouts of the circuit, $95 entry!!) Have to admit, race my first top gear meeting recently - great fun!!!

QR are also holding a AASA 4 round 'state' championship - 2 day meetings, & are apparantly intending to give back 20% of the entry fee in prize money...

I can tell you there are a few clubs up here seriously weighing up the pros & cons of what series to commit to...

A senior member of one of these clubs had the idea of creating their own club championship by running a couple of each! I guess that way you still show support to both organisations & still give members variety....
Is the QLD State Motor Sport (Circuit Racing) industry big enough to be spread this thinly.

So in my National level Sports Sedan in 2007 I could potentially run at:
6 x CAMS State Rounds (well 5 Rounds as this is what the "core" Sports Sedan guys have decided to do).
4 (or is it 5) x AASA State Rounds (if Sports Sedans are invited to compete at these meetings).
7 x AASA Top Gear One Day Meetings.
5 x National Sports Sedan events (although I presume the Queensland Raceway Round of the CNRC scheduled for May 2007 is now not going to happen).

Doesn't leave a lot of time to do the following:
Eat, sleep, go to work to pay for the racing, fix the car if it breaks, speak to the wife and kids etc............
Old 15 Dec 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1791041)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, the problem is the annual fee charged by CAMS for a Track Licence is for 365 days coverage but places like Winton, Calder, Wakefield or QR will only have a handful of CAMS days, the rest are under AASA or other public liability coverage.

Why should they, as business', have to pay for something they don't use

That's usually the major sticking point when this comes up and the track owners would like to see a pay as you use scheme for thier CAMS track licence. This will reduce their cost which they can then pass on to track hirers but of course will reduce the CAMS Cash Cow and hence the current impasse.

It's kind of like buying a 12 month train ticket but only use the train 3 times a year, basically a waste of $$$.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1791042)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The powder room has been ingesting more and more items of interest.... it seems that the Victorian teams that have been testing at Winton have been operating under AASA insurance/licence for their testing for near on 2 years...

I wonder how that goes over in the palace of CAMS?

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Dec 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1791055)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
OK, the problem is the annual fee charged by CAMS for a Track Licence is for 365 days coverage but places like Winton, Calder, Wakefield or QR will only have a handful of CAMS days, the rest are under AASA or other public liability coverage.

Why should they, as business', have to pay for something they don't use
They have chosen to do this, as businesses.
They feel that AASA serves their purposes better, nothing wrong with that, but they can't complain that they are now getting less value.

I am sure someone can correct me but wasn't there V8 testing at Winton for a time when they hadn't renewed their Licence? Besides which, if you hire Winton you can only do it with AASA Insurance EXCEPT for the V8 event. All practice is covered by the AASA. So there is nothing new here. QR will make a desiosion at some stage to either pay the Cams fee and run the meet or not and don't, and that will be their choice - as a business
Old 15 Dec 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1791094)   #17
Woolcor
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane Qld
Woolcor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes we do - at 2 1/2 times the cost with three times the crowd.

QR may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is still popular, as evidenced by the crowds this last couple of years.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1791097)   #18
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Quote:
Is the QLD State Motor Sport (Circuit Racing) industry big enough to be spread this thinly.

So in my National level Sports Sedan in 2007 I could potentially run at:
6 x CAMS State Rounds (well 5 Rounds as this is what the "core" Sports Sedan guys have decided to do).
4 (or is it 5) x AASA State Rounds (if Sports Sedans are invited to compete at these meetings).
7 x AASA Top Gear One Day Meetings.
5 x National Sports Sedan events (although I presume the Queensland Raceway Round of the CNRC scheduled for May 2007 is now not going to happen).

Doesn't leave a lot of time to do the following:
Eat, sleep, go to work to pay for the racing, fix the car if it breaks, speak to the wife and kids etc............

Absolutely correct, methinks that QR are hoping that all the racers who've been complaining for years about CAMS events being - time consuming (3-4 races over 2 days)/expensive/poorly supported, will vote with their feet...

Look, I have to admit, after trying out a Top Gear Meeting, I can honestly say I haven't had that much fun at a race meeting in years - & those who know me know I always have fun! What really impressed me wasn't just how well it was run, but the fact that I wasn't the only one who had a smile on my face all day!

I must say, I've become a convert.

CAMS should be very worried, my only concern is that Morgan Park & some of the other promotors, like QRDA & Gemini Assoc., don't suffer because of it...
Old 15 Dec 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1791099)   #19
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Quote:
Absolutely correct, methinks that QR are hoping that all the racers who've been complaining for years about CAMS events being - time consuming (3-4 races over 2 days)/expensive/poorly supported, will vote with their feet...

Look, I have to admit, after trying out a Top Gear Meeting, I can honestly say I haven't had that much fun at a race meeting in years - & those who know me know I always have fun! What really impressed me wasn't just how well it was run, but the fact that I wasn't the only one who had a smile on my face all day!

I must say, I've become a convert.

CAMS should be very worried, my only concern is that Morgan Park & some of the other promotors, like QRDA & Gemini Assoc., don't suffer because of it...
I agree, the Top Gear meetings are a great day out if you don't want to take it too seriously.

Keep in mind Sultan, you are currently racing at Top Gear events with four categories. If QR has to cater to up to possibly 10 categories, you might still only get your 4 - 5 races over two days......
Old 15 Dec 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1791108)   #20
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Oh definitely. And I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk of people not taking it too seriously...

I guess part of the charm is the variety of cars in any given field.

For Eg., using the tighter clubman circuit, there was an Series 3 RX7 Sports Sedan, a series IV RX7 turbo, a group N Chev Camaro & a 2F Mx5, all fighting for an outright spot!!!

Fun is definitely the word!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1791110)   #21
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Quote:
Oh definitely. And I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk of people not taking it too seriously...

I guess part of the charm is the variety of cars in any given field.

For Eg., using the tighter clubman circuit, there was an Series 3 RX7 Sports Sedan, a series IV RX7 turbo, a group N Chev Camaro & a 2F Mx5, all fighting for an outright spot!!!

Fun is definitely the word!
Are you on the payroll out there now Sultan

Good to hear you are having fun!!!!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1791126)   #22
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Ha Ha, I wish!!!!! You know me, as a 'works' driver - if it 'works', I'll drive it!!!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1791365)   #23
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The powder room has been ingesting more and more items of interest.... it seems that the Victorian teams that have been testing at Winton have been operating under AASA insurance/licence for their testing for near on 2 years...

I wonder how that goes over in the palace of CAMS?

I hear that AASA insurance is just as good or even better than CAMS insurance so why should anyone care.......Winton is an AASA track but has CAMS linsence so why not any other track
Old 16 Dec 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1792105)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some events that have tried both. Would be interesting to get feedback from Classic Adelaide organisers who have run both insurance policies without the politics of being directly involved in either heirachy.

Then at least we might get the long running insurance debate might get something other than bluster said about it.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1792133)   #25
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL is my reaction whenever I hear QR and Insurance mentioned in the same sentence.....