Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Sep 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2003051)   #1
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trophy Help

On going round to my Mum's for lunch yesterday (which is actually a very rare occurance, much to her dismay), as I was leaving she said she had emptied one of her cupboards and found one of my late Dad's trophies. From her enthusiasm and from the age I could imagine it was from I was expecting a large silver trophy of some description so imagine my horror when she presented me with a solid silver cake slice

I've had a look through the magazines and programmes I have but so far I cannot find out what it was for. I was hoping someone on here (I've also posted a similar thread on TNF Autosport) could maybe point me in the right direction.

The exact insciption on the back of the bottom blade is "Silverstone 1976 Goddard and Smith Trophy Race".

If anyone has any ideas then please let me know, it seems a blooming strange award for the modern machinery of the time and Dad wasn't allowed to race historic stuff in 1976 so I'm very much clueless on this one!!
Old 4 Sep 2007, 19:25 (Ref:2003797)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gregor, I have a copy of the 1976 AMOC St John Horsfall meeting programme which included The Goddard & Smith Trophy Race for GT & Sports Cars. Goddard and Smith, St James, London were famous (apparently!) estate agents. I'm guessing that this was a one-off race. Your Dad was driving a Sunbeam Tiger Le Mans in the Sports and GT class; the other class was for Group 4 Sports cars. There was some quick machinery in both classes. The race was won by Jeremy Lord in a Lola T280, with Willie Green 2nd (with fastest lap) in a Ferrari 512, and Richard Bond, 3rd in a T70. I don't know where he finished but even Gerry with all his skill would have been down the field in this company in the Tiger, so I'm guessing this cake slice may have been given to all those who competed. Of course, by then, the Tiger was already a historic race car, as were many in the filed, so I'm not sure I understand your reference to him not being able to drive historics!

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Sep 2007 at 19:27.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 19:50 (Ref:2003812)   #3
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Gregor, I have a copy of the 1976 AMOC St John Horsfall meeting programme which included The Goddard & Smith Trophy Race for GT & Sports Cars. Goddard and Smith, St James, London were famous (apparently!) estate agents. I'm guessing that this was a one-off race. Your Dad was driving a Sunbeam Tiger Le Mans in the Sports and GT class; the other class was for Group 4 Sports cars. There was some quick machinery in both classes. The race was won by Jeremy Lord in a Lola T280, with Willie Green 2nd (with fastest lap) in a Ferrari 512, and Richard Bond, 3rd in a T70. I don't know where he finished but even Gerry with all his skill would have been down the field in this company in the Tiger, so I'm guessing this cake slice may have been given to all those who competed. Of course, by then, the Tiger was already a historic race car, as were many in the filed, so I'm not sure I understand your reference to him not being able to drive historics!
Brilliant Thanks John. I did get a response on Autosport Atlas that it was an AMOC race and I've had some e-mails from them and been forwarded to their historian who may be able to help, so that ties in nicely. Maybe it was a class award or as you say for those that entered full stop. I might be doing a lot more of this soon, about to sort out Dad's trophies.

I can't remember the details of the Tiger other that it was an Le Mans car of some history. I do have a letter from Dad to Roger Willis at Castrol confirming the sponsorship details for the Marshall Wingfield team for '76, Dad was due to race in the CSCC for '76 but DTV curtailed it.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 20:01 (Ref:2003817)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Almost certainly one of the Lister built Tiger Le Mans Coupes

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92249
Old 4 Sep 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2003836)   #5
GBRM
Veteran

England
I think it could be an ex-Peter Proctor car but couldn't be 100% sure.