Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2315181)   #1
asdf
Rookie

asdf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-help- Ferrari are cheaters

Hello i started to watch f1 last year and read that ferrari are cheaters and michael please can you tell me some informations about them ? when ? what GP?
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2315190)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Well, when people refer to Michael Schumacher as a cheat they're usually referring to controversial incidents at Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997 & Monaco 2006.

When people refer to Ferrari as cheats, it's usually due to a perceived collusion between them and the FIA, prompted by bizarre penalties issued to their close rivals, such as Alonso's grid penalty at Monza 2006 and Hamilton's penalties at Spa and Fuji in 2008.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2315192)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the movable floors at the start of last year, Super Hans. They removed them after Australia (?) though.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2315193)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wasn't aware that it was Ferrari that were cheating.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2315223)   #5
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Well, when people refer to Michael Schumacher as a cheat they're usually referring to controversial incidents at Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997 & Monaco 2006.

When people refer to Ferrari as cheats, it's usually due to a perceived collusion between them and the FIA, prompted by bizarre penalties issued to their close rivals, such as Alonso's grid penalty at Monza 2006 and Hamilton's penalties at Spa and Fuji in 2008.
Don't forget the penalty served on last lap at Silverstone 1998 allowing him to miss half the pitlane.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2315270)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sure they are cheaters, otherwise they wouldn't be so dominant.

TGF in 1994 was driving a Renault, and the cheater was Briatore with the consent of one Bernie... but that must be forgotten like many other cheats perpetrated by other teams.

Don't lose your perspective that F1 is a fair game.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2315456)   #7
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari are cheaters, McLaren are cheaters, Renault are cheaters with Flav.

I guess that means BMW are the true top team on the grid
Old 18 Oct 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2315466)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo
Don't forget the penalty served on last lap at Silverstone 1998 allowing him to miss half the pitlane.
Except that situation came up as a result of the timing the officials gave out the penalty. After that race, he had 25s added to his finishing time. It also caused the rule scenario being altered eversoslightly to the situation we currently have.

There is a difference between cheating and working with the rules as they are presently set out.

With regards the moveable floor thing, well, the FIA had passed that same floor as legal. Mclaren were only able to protest it because they had the Ferrari team's drawings of it in the first place.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2315474)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Except that situation came up as a result of the timing the officials gave out the penalty. After that race, he had 25s added to his finishing time. It also caused the rule scenario being altered eversoslightly to the situation we currently have.

There is a difference between cheating and working with the rules as they are presently set out.

With regards the moveable floor thing, well, the FIA had passed that same floor as legal. Mclaren were only able to protest it because they had the Ferrari team's drawings of it in the first place.
Which was just another situation where Ferrari cheated by having a dishonest employee steal the drawings and send them to McLaren! You see, they have a Psychic on payroll who was able to predict all that back when they hired him so this was all planned in advance.

I started watching F1 in the 1960's and no one has ever cheated until 1994, not once. Ever. Not even the time the guy from McLaren (I think it was) got locked in the Ferrari transporter when he lost his way to the loo...but that was not cheating!

"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2315504)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Water tanks, allegedly for cooling purposes, but strangely only filled after the race... that would be Tyrrel, one of my faves team.
The (in)famous fan car - not car for fans to drive - of one win and then banned, that would be Brabham, another big fave of my mine.
Led pellets, injected with the fuel in the last pitstop to add weight to the car to meet the after race requirements, that would be Benetton.

That was not cheating then, just being smart... is that would be cheating now ?
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2315529)   #11
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher drove a Benetton Ford in 1994 and you could argue that the incident at Adelaide was not to dissimilar the incident involving Massa and Hamilton in Fuji, witch resulted in a drive through penalty. As far as I’m concern, and the Benetton legality aside, witch is nothing to do with Schumacher just as Alonso and Hamilton were found to be not responsible for McLaren misgivings last year, I felt that Schumacher was by no means gifted the 1994 World Drivers Championship.

Schumacher was disqualified from first place of the 1994 British Grand Prix for overtaking Hill on the parade lap, before he was let back through in time for the start. He was disqualified from the race result for "failing to maintain position" and Benetton were fined $25,000(I think the fine and subsiquent 2 race ban given on appeal was for not serving a 10 second stop go during the race).

He was disqualified from his victory at the ’94 Belgian Grand Prix due to excessive wear on his Benetton's skid block, indicating the car's ride height was too low and giving the car an illegal aerodynamic advantage. The race officals would not accept the excessive wear had been caused by a spin at Pouhon on lap 19 which caused the floor to run over the kerbing on the outside of the corner. To quote Niki Lauda “Worst disision in F1 history”.

So effectivley Schumacher was stripped of 20 points plus two races. Hill had no right to win the world championship in 1994 and you would have to be blind to think that Schumacher was not the most desurving winner of the ’94 Drivers Championship. Had a cirtain British driver in a Britsh team been treated this way there would be a massive outrage and conspiracy theories all over the net. Ooh, that’s what’s happening this year…

25 Seconds was not added to Schumachers 98 British GP Victory as he served his drive through penalty within the required number of laps. Teams can not be penalised for competing within the rules laid out by the governing body. It’s up the FIA to be smarter when writing the rules.

Rant over.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2315533)   #12
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"I know they're cheating... because I'm cheating and they're beating me!"

Racing, you gotta love it.

Chris
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2315578)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Water tanks, allegedly for cooling purposes, but strangely only filled after the race... that would be Tyrrel, one of my faves team.
The (in)famous fan car - not car for fans to drive - of one win and then banned, that would be Brabham, another big fave of my mine.
Led pellets, injected with the fuel in the last pitstop to add weight to the car to meet the after race requirements, that would be Benetton.

That was not cheating then, just being smart... is that would be cheating now ?
Don't forget the famous Honda fuel tank - or perhaps that was when Honda was still BARF - clever little design that allowed the car to hold more fuel than anyone thought it held...but that wasn't cheating. They were just being thrifty as it allowed them to let their Auto Club membership expire as they no longer had to worry about running out of fuel...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2315602)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed. The design itself was perfectly alright. It was the team's declarations and actions with the fluids that was their problem.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2315604)   #15
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NO, the FIA give penalties to the other teams so that when Ferrari beats them they will have an excuse....
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:15 (Ref:2315605)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
TGF in 1994 was driving a Renault, and the cheater was Briatore with the consent of one Bernie..
I Just want to clarify this , in 1994 Schumacher was driving a BENETTON with a FORD engine , Renault had nothing to do with the team in 1994......they started using Renualt engines in 1995.

Cleared up ......... carry on
Old 19 Oct 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2315663)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Thanks Marcus... like they say... It was all about Briatore.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2315691)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Going from my admittedly poor memory:

Quote:
Slight correction there. It was Brabham who refilled the water tanks and that was deemed legal (eventually all teams did it) because the car could be restocked with essential fluids after the race. Tyrrel were using these particular tanks to cool the engine by injecting it together with the fuel, the trouble was they had some "ballast" in the tanks in the form of lead or something which surprisingly appeared to contain hydro carbons and thus their fuel was deemed illegal.

Many teams had these tanks for brake cooling and would empty them as soon as the race started only to re fill them at race end (see below).

Quote:
It was never banned. Bernie withdrew it on "sporting" grounds. He'd lost the championship to Lotus by then anyway and his ground effect BT52(?) was about to hit the tracks.

Quote:
See Tyrrell above, they were sponsored by Benetton at the time.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2315695)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Thanks, Peter !

I was a kid back there, that was an adult issue...
Old 19 Oct 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2315709)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf
Hello i started to watch f1 last year and read that ferrari are cheaters and michael please can you tell me some informations about them ? when ? what GP?
As such.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2316245)   #21
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off course Ferrari, and McLaren and all the other teams are trying to see how far they can go within the rules or outside them.

Is that cheating? Depends on your definition. In any case, Ferrari is usually better at it than the rest.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2316248)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That makes me see red...
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2316520)   #23
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what's the smilie for opening a can of worms?!?!
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2316523)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
what's the smilie for opening a can of worms?!?!
Easy.

Old 20 Oct 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2316584)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95
Schumacher was disqualified from first place of the 1994 British Grand Prix for overtaking Hill on the parade lap, before he was let back through in time for the start. He was disqualified from the race result for "failing to maintain position" and Benetton were fined $25,000(I think the fine and subsiquent 2 race ban given on appeal was for not serving a 10 second stop go during the race).
A driver not serving issued penalty, IMO, should be immidiately DQ-ed from whole year. Can you imagine football player who doesn't leave the field after been given a red card??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95
So effectivley Schumacher was stripped of 20 points plus two races. Hill had no right to win the world championship in 1994 and you would have to be blind to think that Schumacher was not the most desurving winner of the ’94 Drivers Championship. Had a cirtain British driver in a Britsh team been treated this way there would be a massive outrage and conspiracy theories all over the net. Ooh, that’s what’s happening this year…
Fuel rig without appropriate filter that was removed by a 'junior team member'.
Traction control that 'they didn't use'
and so on....

If last year McLaren was found to have (done) anything similar to theese, the team would have been fined 1 billion dollars ($ 1,000,000,000.00) and Ron Dennis personally would have been forbidden to get near anything under FIA's authority for life!

I even didn't get to Adelaide, and you call that deserving...

Now, that is a rant!