Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jul 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1961279)   #1
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not Worthy

I find it a little sad to be informed, that a certain race series organising body has informed its members that there is a change to the hospitality THEY PAY for, in as much they will not be allowing a certain type of person into the hospitality unit, no they're not talking about tramps and murderers (not that I know any are) but even worse.... you got it MECHANICS, you know those people who do there best to keep it all together, when you (myself included) do your best to break it, the people you pay to help you on your endeavours to spend your children’s inheritance, so should you wish to try and keep your expenditure down (and leave a little for the kiddy's) by using your hospitality allowance on showing your team how there other half live.. think again you now have to pay extra for a few burgers, still what’s another 50 quid a day, your the rich and famous. do people really think they are so important, or am I being a little touchy.
here's to the black finger nailed mechanics without whom a great many would not be going racing this weekend!!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:13 (Ref:1961312)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite agree with the sentiment but (and I'm guessing which series you are referring to) where have you discovered this bit of info?

Is it in the latest newsletter?
BTW. Welcome to our friendly and sociable forum.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1961327)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it common knolegde,and quite dissagree with the thinking behind it But,One reason I heard was that the sometimes "colourfull " language used by some mechanics was a bit embarresing for drivers wives /guest,s etc.So it,s a case of the innocent suffering because of the guilty I,m affraid.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:35 (Ref:1961331)   #4
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
the info came from 2 sources (one the horses mouth) if people are useing choice words they should be asked to curtail, drivers and their wives swear as well, but I understand your comment, there is a time and a place!! if this is the case why make people second rate if its not to do with what they do for a living, but how a few conduct themselves
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1961333)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hang on a minute!

If it is what I think it is, we're only allowed one guest anyway.

However it is motor racing if you don't want to listen to bad language have the balls to confront the person who is annoying you or move way. I don't buy this exclusitvity BS I'm afraid.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1961348)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you know Peter.However ,the ticket/pass situation has got out of hand these day,s, is it recognition of potentially lost revenue by giving out more than two tickets??
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1961398)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is exactly for me joining the CTCRC, friendly, helpful, affable, normal, down to earth and friendly (again - that's how friendly they are) people!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1961399)   #8
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
peter, sorry didnt mean to ignore!!
(BTW. Welcome to our friendly and sociable forum)
many thanks do you do food and drinks in here!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1961403)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well when you get to 100 posts and you pay all of us mods at least 20 of your english pounds we'll let you into Parc Ferme where some of us have been known to type drunk and swear too.

GBRM. Being an ex member of the CTCRC I do know what you mean but they don't offer the kind of races I can do so its not for me unfortunately.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1961411)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
GBRM. Being an ex member of the CTCRC I do know what you mean but they don't offer the kind of races I can do so its not for me unfortunately.
Peter, that's fair comment and I must admit I'd like to do longer races but none of the old buggers want to do that, fair enough. I like the CTCRC as a club and would like to see them add one or two longer races but I'll definitely stick with them for the immediate future.

In the future though it does only really leave Heritage and Masters and neither are really doing it for me with their costs and what I perceive to be pretence and also all of Dad's friends/rivals and in the beginning I don't want that.

I am open-minded and if the right opportunity and package comes up then I will enter one or two, as I'd love to do some two-driver races and I'm sure I wouldn't be short of driver volunteers!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1961413)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by awseng
peter, sorry didnt mean to ignore!!
(BTW. Welcome to our friendly and sociable forum)
many thanks do you do food and drinks in here!!!!!!!!

Are you a mechanic?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1961427)   #12
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
as I'd love to do some two-driver races and I'm sure I wouldn't be short of driver volunteers!!
Please Sir, Mr Marshall Sir, Me Sir.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1961431)   #13
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Please Sir, Mr Marshall Sir, Me Sir.
Good shout!! You need to be at least 6 foot though, I haven't got a moveable seat yet and you need to be able to drink copious amounts of beer!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1961449)   #14
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Are you a mechanic?
I own a team, yes i get my hands dirty, I also drive (not as well as some, but not as bad as some!!) one particular orginiser (driver) asked me what i knew about racing cars once, my reply 'after 20 years quite a bit, but not as much I'd like'.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1961466)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Good shout!! You need to be at least 6 foot though, I haven't got a moveable seat yet and you need to be able to drink copious amounts of beer!!

A Chip off the Block Then! .I did get to know you.re dad pretty well over the year,s.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1961470)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good for you !
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1961475)   #17
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
and you need to be able to drink copious amounts of beer!!
A lot of us round here are good at that!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:42 (Ref:1961495)   #18
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
A Chip off the Block Then! .I did get to know you.re dad pretty well over the year,s.
Sometimes!!
At least you know all the sories aren't true then!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1961497)   #19
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
A lot of us round here are good at that!
But are you quick too?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1961518)   #20
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I might be quick, am 6ft 1 and play rugby as a back rower. I think that answers the beer question too
Old 12 Jul 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1961522)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Sometimes!!
At least you know all the sories aren't true then!
Well yes,not ALL of them.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1961548)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Peter, that's fair comment and I must admit I'd like to do longer races but none of the old buggers want to do that, fair enough. I like the CTCRC as a club and would like to see them add one or two longer races but I'll definitely stick with them for the immediate future.

In the future though it does only really leave Heritage and Masters and neither are really doing it for me with their costs and what I perceive to be pretence and also all of Dad's friends/rivals and in the beginning I don't want that.

I am open-minded and if the right opportunity and package comes up then I will enter one or two, as I'd love to do some two-driver races and I'm sure I wouldn't be short of driver volunteers!!
Well as one of the old buggers can I comment on the long races? Self funded with no help whatsoever I find it hard enough to put together the £175 for a 10 lapper and at 4 or 5mpg the petrol as well plus the tanks in my cars are nowhere near big enough. Do you know how much some of these entrance fees are Gregor, it would make your eyes water I tell you. IMHO much better to enter the Post Historics then a second discounted race in Group 1 especially as nearly all the meeting feature all races. That has the added advantage if you throw it in one race (or if like me at the last round Silverstone both, duh) you get a 2nd pop and at our level (well mine at least) that has to be good. I also like the starts and the build ups and the quallies so I would much rather do two shorter races than one long with all the eggs in one basket.

And Peter now pre-93 is up and running and very good as well this option is also open to you to do the Group 1 then the pre-93 where you will still be competitive.

PS just to get it back on topic, what would they make of me as i do all my own mechanics and have the dirty finger nails to prove it and can 'f' and blind with the best of them, that'll confuse 'em.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 12 Jul 2007 at 13:00.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1961552)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But are you quick too?
There are various opinins on that
Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:17 (Ref:1961568)   #24
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if it's the race series I think we are talking about (nudge,nudge, wink wink - if it's not, ignore what i'm writing below!) then it's also a race series for which i am a driver's representative (a post that I volunteered for, I hasten to add, since I hate whinging about stuff but not doing anything about it!)!!

I can heartily sympathise with your point of view, especially as I am not hugely wealthy, and race entry fees take up a lot of my spare cash, what little is not taken up by my mechanical bills not to mention the wife!

Also, my mechanic is a good friend of mine, and usually chenges out of his overalls and into a jacket when he's finished working on the car. Indeed, he usually looks smarter than me, the messy driver with 'helmet hairdo' and sweaty race suit!!

But.....and I am really trying to be devil's advocate here, I can see that at a lot of the race meetings I have attended this season, there have been a lot of 'non-series' personnel, hangers-on, members of the public, sneaking in for their free lunch, drinks, etc. My argument would be, let mechanics in, but make sure that passes and entry restrictions are properly implemented, albeit with a smile!!

I would also say that you could always try writing to your driver's representative or direct ot the series to make your feelings felt.

Regards,

James
Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1961575)   #25
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Well I might be quick, am 6ft 1 and play rugby as a back rower. I think that answers the beer question too
If you've done any competing in the past you never know, we'll see in the future!!