Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1983243)   #1
Sweet Corn
Racer

Sweet Corn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Action Poll

Just saw a story on Chanel 7 featuring the Dude and the Enforcer saying they were the toughest and roughest is this something to do with V8 Supercars new controversy guidelines?
Byline was that Auto Action had asked the drivers to rate their compatriots
Old 7 Aug 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1983250)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The feature article supposedly polling all of the main series drivers is supposed to appear in Auto Action tomorrow.

As ever, the negative headlines have been sensationalised.... and #7 has used the occassion to latch onto the controversy it will generate to stir up interest.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 03:30 (Ref:1983645)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another slow news week. Had a quick look at it and it is as i suspected, a few trees too many chopped down to write this sort of rubbish.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 03:35 (Ref:1983650)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a question about the poll...

If there are 46 people allegedly interviewed for their thoughts on the questions displayed in the story, representing 30 drivers of main series cars, and 16 franchise licence slot owners....

... how do some of the percentages used in the pretty tables work?

For example, in the "Who is the Hardest to Pass?" question, Mr Bowe is marked as achieving 44% of the vote, in the table.

Now 20 voters out of 46 is the closest to 44% you can get, at 43.48%... suggesting that there has been some rounding up...

Yet in the "Who is the most overrated driver?" question, Mr Gurr has scored 4% of the vote, which by the same logic as above is 2 voters out of the 46 to achieve 4.34%.

Where it gets a bit silly too is in the "Who is the most overpaid driver?" question, the answer "All Ford Drivers" achieves a vote of 3%, suggesting one and a half people in the sample thought that answer was appropriate.

It may be considered that tweaking and twiddling by a half point here or there makes no difference, but these guys are slamming and praising are being measured on this information.

Maybe the tables look pretty, but are they accurate or directional? If directional only, then the validity of the process comes into question.... especially given there are very few questions (I count 5 of 24, which could be 20.833% or 20% or 21% or some other number depending on moon phases) where there is an outright majority for one answer over another

Old 8 Aug 2007, 03:42 (Ref:1983657)   #5
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You definitely aren't AA's biggest fan, are you, pete? I gave up buying it ages ago, but if it was an anonymous poll, having all 30 Supercar drivers and 16 team owners voting, gives it credibility. Just because AA did the poll doesn't make it 'rubbish'.

Helps pass the time during a long break between race weekends, anyway.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 03:50 (Ref:1983663)   #6
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
You definitely aren't AA's biggest fan, are you, pete? I gave up buying it ages ago, but if it was an anonymous poll, having all 30 Supercar drivers and 16 team owners voting, gives it credibility. Just because AA did the poll doesn't make it 'rubbish'.

Helps pass the time during a long break between race weekends, anyway.
I gave up buying it ages ago too. Sometimes have a quick look (that's all it takes) at the newsagency while i'm looking for other mags i buy. Just from what i saw of it i would say 3 pages of paper have been wasted just by the way it was written. Surely there is something else they could do to fill in the pages on slow news weeks.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1983685)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
boring stating the obvious we need more racing this is boring stuff well then so is the racing most of the time.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1983839)   #8
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a crap publication. i admit buying it but all the news out of it i read yesterday in enews. and for quality interviews i buy motorsport news monthly. and the rubbish they make up. dumbrell to sbr. what a load of bullocks! if i want laughs ill buy mad magazine not auto action. oh and it went up again today.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 00:34 (Ref:1984549)   #9
pete55
Veteran

It seems that the poll has stirred Paul Morris up a little. He has been quoted in todays Courier Mail ' Some of them are nothing more than occupational steering wheel attendants. The biggest decision some of them make every day is where their next cuppuccino is coming from'.
He also says that if he is so dangerous why do many of them want to fly to races with him in his helicopter.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:23 (Ref:1984609)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
IMO if he didn't have his own team he wouldn't be within a mile of racing in V8's IMO unless he was paying the big bucks with Sirromet, and if he did get in he would only be a "occupational steering wheel attandant", i have no idea about the chopper thing.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:50 (Ref:1984619)   #11
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morris clearly has some ability as he shows that whenever he participates in other categories but he just doesn't have what it takes to be in the V8s.

Everytime I see race leaders coming up to lap him I just get nervous because I know he's going to do something stupid and ruin somebody's race.

I reckon the series would be a lot better off without Morris, Dumbrell and Wilson.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 05:13 (Ref:1984629)   #12
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, Morris can drive anything but a V8.

Thou I have noticed over the last couple of years with the major seat changes taking place which drivers are able to develop the cars they are in and which one's have no hope or have relied on there team mate to keep them up front.

As for AA, stop buying it years ago, just as it was getting more smutty and full of you know what.

This country needs more racing to keep the guys and girls at AA occupied long enough so that they don't start making up bullocks to fill the pages up. I've had to resort back to watching NASCAR these days coz there not enough on, and i must say more entertaining and far more interesting than our V8's.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 05:44 (Ref:1984633)   #13
pete55
Veteran

It would not surprise me if VESA were behind the AA poll as part of their plan to spice up V8's. Creating a bit of controversy and rivalry to spice things up. I don't think it is the right way to go though.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1984785)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Morris can steer a BMW quiete well and have seen him in verious categories do well, but i am confused as to why he has no talent driving a V8, and as i said earlier he wouldn't be in V8's if he didn't have his own team, and i to feel nervous when a leader is in battle with morris trying to lap him as most of the time something stupid happens or comes close to happening.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1984796)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
Morris can steer a BMW quiete well and have seen him in verious categories do well, but i am confused as to why he has no talent driving a V8, and as i said earlier he wouldn't be in V8's if he didn't have his own team, and i to feel nervous when a leader is in battle with morris trying to lap him as most of the time something stupid happens or comes close to happening.
I hope you can define your description of "no talent" better than that

Stick with the broad generalisations though, there is a career in motorsport journalism waiting for you
Old 9 Aug 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1984805)   #16
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was suprised he didn't have a higher percentage for most dangerous to be honest.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 9 Aug 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1984806)   #17
Sweet Corn
Racer

Sweet Corn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the drivers are using this beat up by A.A. to be controversial as asked by V8 Supercar CEO Wayne Cattach.
Because of the Dudes tongue in the cheek responses the main media is at last giving some coverage during the week .
The best thing I can think of to see how the other drivers compare to the Dude is to have an Aussie Race Car race for all the V8 Supercar drivers where the equipment is much more equal .
I wonder how many would have a go.Maybe that is the next poll for A.A.