Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1410564)   #1
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone thinking about 2006 yet?

I've only got a two or three meetings left for this years campagin so I'm already starting to think about what I wanna do next year.
I've decided to go back to pretty much where I started and do a few circuits with the cars again and attempt to get a few more venues under my belt, both circuits and hillclimbs.
Is anyone else starting to look towards 2006 and if so what have you got penciled in?
Old 18 Sep 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1410598)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey77
Is anyone else starting to look towards 2006 and if so what have you got penciled in?
Just the usual: Rolex 24 at Daytona, 12hrs of Sebring, test days and club races. Want to come "West" and play in the US? I am sure we can find an event or two for you to work.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1410622)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey mate, I've still got another 20 or so days left to Marshal this year.

Will do all the 750MC meetings as Cof C as usual & then just fill in around those dates, doing everything @ Mallory (bikes as well), then Silverstone then see if there's any dates left. Only other thing cast in stone is the Nurburgring 24 hour race, I'd even miss a 750 meeting for that!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1410623)   #4
Crazy Marshal
Racer

England
Hartford, Cheshire
Crazy Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm the same, only got a few meetings left this year *sob* so i'm starting to plan for next year as it could be my last full season for a while (goin 2 uni next oct) will be at Oulton loads n Anglesey (after i was bitten by the bug earlier this year!)
Will probably have passed my driving test by the beginning of next season as well so might try and venture a bit further afield...
Old 18 Sep 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1410649)   #5
robert77
Racer

England
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Just the usual: Rolex 24 at Daytona, 12hrs of Sebring, test days and club races. Want to come "West" and play in the US? I am sure we can find an event or two for you to work.
Well that is something I would like to do. If only I could afford the airfair and accomadation.
Maybe one day.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1410718)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still got 4 days here and 4 days while on holiday, so I'm a long way from thinking about next year. I usually start putting the programme together around February once there's some clue as to what the meetings will entail, but there's still a lot of guesswork involved.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1410755)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly yes, as my season is pretty well open now due to voyaging abroad for a year.
I've still got the Plum Pudding as by then I will be suffering withdrawal symptons; but then it's all 2006, and mainly from June only too
There's a few must do meetings for the year (eg. Legends at Anglesey, Britcar24), but I might find myself doing more kart meetings than this year as I've been enjoying them so much recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Marshal
it could be my last full season for a while (goin 2 uni next oct)
Don't use that as an excuse, I do at least as much marshalling during term time as I do during the rather lengthy holidays!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1410765)   #8
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey77
Well that is something I would like to do. If only I could afford the airfair and accomadation. Maybe one day.
Plan ahead! For more specific information including prices, click here for Daytona and here for Sebring . I am the author of the posts and will be happy to assist at `this end'.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1410770)   #9
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the last SCSA meeting in a couple of weeks I will be hanging up the overalls for good (except for work at Brands). The main reason is cost. To do SCSA meetings at Rockingham it costs in excess of £150 which includes food, fuel and hotel rooms.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1410787)   #10
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went to Sebring a few months ago to see what it was like,but were not allowed near the pits on a general test day. Nice place though.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1410788)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have already planned Not to carry on Marshalling after this season.
I have no gripes with anyone or with any organising Club, but have simply lost whatever it was that gave me the "Drive" to get up early and spend all day at the Circuit.

I have had an extremely difficult year away from the track which sadly came to a head last Thursday. Perhaps over the course of the closed season I may reconsider, but at this moment in time, I feel that my spare time is to be spent with my family.

I will continue to have an intense interest in the sport that I love and still consider myself to have many friends, made at the venues up and down the Country.

.......and of course I'll still chip in with my two-penneth worth on here!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1410807)   #12
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I have already planned Not to carry on Marshalling after this season.
I have no gripes with anyone or with any organising Club, but have simply lost whatever it was that gave me the "Drive" to get up early and spend all day at the Circuit.

I have had an extremely difficult year away from the track which sadly came to a head last Thursday. Perhaps over the course of the closed season I may reconsider, but at this moment in time, I feel that my spare time is to be spent with my family.

I will continue to have an intense interest in the sport that I love and still consider myself to have many friends, made at the venues up and down the Country.

.......and of course I'll still chip in with my two-penneth worth on here!
I too have had a hard past few months personally and my friends helped through the hard times, but I do a few gripes with the organisation in the SCSA and Rockingham, which I won't air here on this forum. These helped in my desicion to retire from marshalling. I too will continue to love the sport and attend a few meetings (mainly at Brands as I get a free season pass).
Old 18 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1410816)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
...I do a few gripes with the organisation in the SCSA and Rockingham, which I won't air here on this forum. These helped in my desicion to retire from marshalling....
No here isn't the right place (and neither is the SCSA forum) you know the right channels!

I'll miss you next year - take care, chin up.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1410819)   #14
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
thepits, it also means you will be losing your Chief Paddock for SCSA as Mum is also retiring. We will let you know the reason in a couple of weeks
Old 18 Sep 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1410844)   #15
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is board over the winter we have Kart racing at Three Sisters all through the winter, marshals always welcome.

If you are fed up with car/circuit racing give Karting a try. There is always lots of races. Pleanty of action and a great atmosphere. If anybody wants more details let me know.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1410860)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some bad news there - three experienced marshals being lost. I won't try to persuade you otherwise, as you have your reasons. All that I will say is that when I was wondering why a few years ago, I made a big effort to work out what I didn't enjoy and to generally avoid it. Hence no Donington, not to many internationals, more hill climbs and clubbies. I found myself reinvigorated, and thoroughly enjoy my hobby. And when I do something that doesn't fit the enjoyment, I ***** about it. You noticed? Oh well... But I won't apologise for that, because I'd like to make the bits I don't enjoy into bits I do.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1410885)   #17
robert77
Racer

England
Well the thought of F5000's at Silverstone and Oulton with the HSCC is quite appealing. Shame I dint know about them soon this year else I'd have gone.

I did a HSCC meeting at Donington a few years ago, good meeting, but it was Donington, and my post about the Gold Cup meeting in 2002 I think sums up pretty much why I don't go there anymore-

tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26526
Old 19 Sep 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1411109)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a couple of "must do's" in the calendar for next year but other than that I don't make any decisions until around the Autosport show when you can be fairly sure that the calendars bear some similarity to what might actually happen.

We could probably do with a "review of the year" thread to deal with some of the other stuff being mentioned. Personally I don't make "big" marshalling decisions at this end of the season - I know that I'm knackered, fed up and guilty about not having done more at home and seen more of family and friends over the season and the idea of doing it again next year always seems less attractive. But I KNOW that come December/January I'll be watching whatever cars and bikes I can find on the skybox and come February I'll be REALLY twitching to get back to it - and if I'm not - I'd probably walk away at that stage - can't see it happening yet though!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1411251)   #19
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment, it is highly unlikely I will be marshalling next year. I love what I do with a passion, but my current financial situation is probably going to kill things for me.

If there's anyone that can offer me a lift from Peterborough to any circuit, but especially Snetterton, I'd be really grateful!!!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1411253)   #20
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the British GP date fixed yet as that's the one around which everything hinges?

Even though I might appear to moan a bit I enjoy marshalling a lot. One thing which I find helps is that I don't just go to one circuit but as my interest is the cars not the marshalling for its own sake. This year I will have visited 8 circuits, 2 sprint circuits and 5 different hill climbs. Somewhat like Woolley, I find that the enjoyment is in inverse proportion to the "importance" of the meeting - in other words BTCC uninteresting, 2CVs at Lydden last Saturday - great fun.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1411312)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Wow, that's diverse. I'll have done 7 circuits, 4 hills and 1 sprint, although I will have done 3 different countries.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1411363)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I'm out. I've had enough.

I can think of at least 5 or 6 people on this forum who are going to be delighted to hear this. Enjoy your celebrations.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1411430)   #23
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best laid Plans.
Its a bit early to plan, however I suppose we can dream? I tried to plan this year just after Christmas? Then Bernie started his usual games with F1 and the changes were made to a number of meetings as a result of the A1GP. I just hope that the MSA, Clubs and Circuits can get together early so that whilst we know there are possibly going to be too many meetings on each weekend it will help us plan early and of course assist the officials who need to find sufficient marshals for them all.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1411440)   #24
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not thought about it in the slightest to be honest. I haven't thought much about next week let alone next year.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1411513)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
I'm out. I've had enough.

I can think of at least 5 or 6 people on this forum who are going to be delighted to hear this. Enjoy your celebrations.

Terri,

One of the best weekends I have had Marshalling, was at Anglesey, working with both you & Grant.......and the Alien!