Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2521191)   #1
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct apparel for racing

I have entered the Nordschleife regularity run in September and there is no need to wear any special equipment other than a DMSB approved crash helmet (so no cloth cap). My first thought was to wear Nomex on the basis that if you have safety equipment available you would be daft not to use it, but the opportunity to wear approiate apparel of a Brit on a race track abroad seems to good not to investigate.

The discussion so far is based around a tweed jacket or a dress shirt, but did us Brits have a national racing outfit before the advent of Proban & Nomex?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2521196)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Pair of white cotton overalls?? Seems to have been the gear in many old photos I have seen, usually covered in grease to aid combustion! :-).
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2521214)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Light blue "Dunlop" overalls?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2521216)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Tweed jacket, check chirt (thick cotton) and dicky bow was Hawthorn standard...
Chinos/cotton drill trousers. Stringback leather gloves.

Don't forget your pipe, and a tin of Bluebird Toffees!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2521246)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
c'mon it's early 70s car not fifties; as your passenger/navigator I will certainly be wearing a set of midgetman's finest....
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2521252)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have a look here: www.suixtil.com (and no, I'm not on commission)
Old 14 Aug 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2521325)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Light blue "Dunlop" overalls?
They probably were light blue just looked white in the Black & White photos!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2521343)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
They probably were light blue just looked white in the Black & White photos!
Definitely blue:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...ode=051.848/38

- although for a 70s car, Gulf racing overalls, as worn by Steve McQueen, would be more appropriate!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2521351)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh I dunno. A certain Mr.Walker from here has the right idea...

If it's good enough for a Can am Lola, I'm sure you'll be fine?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2521357)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I would be wondering what wet weather gear to get hold of as well.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2521402)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's got MGDavid holding the brolley for that!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2521403)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Definitely blue:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...ode=051.848/38

- although for a 70s car, Gulf racing overalls, as worn by Steve McQueen, would be more appropriate!
Pale blue or white? You haven't met Penelope then? The last overalls I sold him were black for a reason
Old 14 Aug 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2521567)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
£580 plus vat for those blue overalls midgetman, bet you would like to get that sort of margin!
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2521760)   #14
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Have a look here: www.suixtil.com (and no, I'm not on commission)
They are brilliant clothes but you need a mortgage.............
Old 15 Aug 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2521768)   #15
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jock strap and Wellington boots old gal, confused jerry every time
Old 15 Aug 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2521785)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just do as the Germans do and wear whatever you like?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2521874)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
£580 plus vat for those blue overalls midgetman, bet you would like to get that sort of margin!
I actually sell quite a few of these, and I'm fifteen quid cheaper! Margin's pants tho

I tried to get Penelope into my old set of Steve McQueen replicas, but he's - cough - "taller" than me. We used to sell them complete with Gulf badges, the works.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2521885)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think a white shirt, polka dot bow tie and perhaps a canvas "jerkin" style jacket?

http://www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk/home.php
Old 15 Aug 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2521935)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I actually sell quite a few of these, and I'm fifteen quid cheaper! Margin's pants tho

I tried to get Penelope into my old set of Steve McQueen replicas, but he's - cough - "taller" than me. We used to sell them complete with Gulf badges, the works.
Lol, just thinking about this, I was intending to buy a Tag Monaco blue face. Sadly I took the sensible route and enrolled for a law course with the OU for the same price. Sad git or what?
Old 16 Aug 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2522481)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When i started racing i just wore a jumper and jeans. Then progressed to a set of those two piece pajama overalls.Don't think they would of done much in the way of protection. After that i spanner ed for a couple of guy's racing in the AuroraF1 championship and they took pity on me and bought my first proper set of race overalls, Still got them but they don't fit any more.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2522794)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I bought my suit a tad large so I can grow into it

reality is, as its an historic 'cut' its designed for the slightly more relaxed midrift!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2522947)   #22
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I bought my suit a tad large so I can grow into it

reality is, as its an historic 'cut' its designed for the slightly more relaxed midrift!
My midrift has become so relaxed that I cannot even get into my historic overalls
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2522967)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I used to call it salary belly but since I started working for myself I haven't had a salary so now its just an indulgance band