Old 18 Jun 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2485656)   #1
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Front/Rear Bumper support bar

Hey,

i need to make up a new bumper support bar on the car since i wont be using the stock item which feels like its made of iron!

I'll be going with this type of setup:

what would you suggest in terms of mounting the bar to the chassis?
the stock one bolts to the front of the chassis rail, would this be fine or would you suggest perhaps mounting it on either side of the rail? or another method?

also whats the best way to mount the bumper to the rail? i'd like to be able to remove the bumper without having to get under the front fenders etc.. so not concerned that the bolts are visable from the outside... it is a racecar after all not a show car hehe...

was thinking something like this maybe?

Old 18 Jun 2009, 05:45 (Ref:2485673)   #2
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
XKRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have done similar stuff to this in the past.....have always used aluminium.....have always used sprung released bayonet fittings.

The fittings have an alun key head and come in the form of a cylinder which you press into the alumium. Then you twist through 180 degrees and it releases.

If there is one problem you do need to fit your beam as close to bumper as possible.

The company that makes them are in Telford, I will try and dig out there website I think the company is call CamLoc
Old 18 Jun 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2485689)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dzus Fasteners, I think the are exactly the same as those CamLoc XK has mentioned. They are a flush fitting thing, 1/4 turn to release.

If you are Melb Meridian have them (know you are AU, not sure where)

I did a quick release bumper (Mind you just the bumper, so no force from a splitter) I made the Chassis side from square Alloy section, and the bumper side from round section, allowed good location with fairly easy slide in/out, both welded to a nice flat plate with in a "T", then bolted to the respective bits. Sides (and therefore depth) were held by the Dzus fasteners. I suspect that because of the Bumper material the plate on the bumber side will need to be pretty broad for you though and the faact that there will be a force on it may put kybosh to the idea.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:47 (Ref:2486303)   #4
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Dzus Fasteners, I think the are exactly the same as those CamLoc XK has mentioned. They are a flush fitting thing, 1/4 turn to release.

If you are Melb Meridian have them (know you are AU, not sure where)

I did a quick release bumper (Mind you just the bumper, so no force from a splitter) I made the Chassis side from square Alloy section, and the bumper side from round section, allowed good location with fairly easy slide in/out, both welded to a nice flat plate with in a "T", then bolted to the respective bits. Sides (and therefore depth) were held by the Dzus fasteners. I suspect that because of the Bumper material the plate on the bumber side will need to be pretty broad for you though and the faact that there will be a force on it may put kybosh to the idea.
Heya! Awesome so dzus fastners will work. im based in canberra so will most likely have to buy interstate. what you've mentioned on how you made yours is pretty much how i was thinking of going about it. so i guess that'll be the way.

it will only be holding the bumper which is cut down slightly. the splitter will be fixed to the chassis so it wont be putting extra force on the bumper itself..