Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Aug 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2744190)   #1
Dodo28
Rookie

Dodo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross Marshals

Hi Everyone,

I posted earlier today introducing myself and letting you all know how to get in touch however it would appear I was infringing forum rules and the thread was subsequetly removed.

I'll try again..........................................................................

Though please bear in mind I am new to ten-tenths and rookie mistakes may occur!

Myself and B Friendly have been tasked with co-ordinating marshals for The British Rallycross Championship so if you are available for the remaining events:

August Bank Holiday - Lydden Hill
Sunday 12th September - Mallory Park
Sunday 10th October - Pembrey

Please contact either of us with your details/experience so we can liase with the correct people and hopefully organise the orange brigade!!

Also if you have any suggestions/ideas for improving the Rallycross Marshalling experience please feel free to give us your feedback and we will do our best to accommodate reasonable requests.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2744351)   #2
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused by this post.

Who have you been tasked by?
What are you credentials for handling marshal availability?
Why hide behind a forum name when other chief marshals use their proper name?
I'm a Mallory regular and there is a perfectly good system for volenteering for rallycross in place via Julians page, why do I need to contact you?

Maybe i've got you all wrong but a little bit more info would not go a miss.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 14 Aug 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2744449)   #3
Dodo28
Rookie

In answer to your post, yes I believe you have got me all wrong.

I am not a chief marshal and I was under the impression that on this and other forums people had a 'user' name as it would appear you do yourself?

My husband (Chris) and I (Donna) have been tasked by the British Rallycross Champsionship organisers to be marshal co-ordinators for the whole championship not just Mallory rounds as my original post stated (Lydden, Mallory and Pembrey).

As to my credentials for handling marshal availability, a combined 14 years trackside experience the ability to plan and organise and maybe most importantly a love of the sport appear to be sufficient for the championship co-ordinator to ask me to fulfil this role.

As you will see on Julians page there is no facility for volunteering for the whole championship only the Mallory rounds. Also as I am new to this forum I was not aware of Julian's website and being a marshal maybe others are not aware of it also?

Within rallycross improvements and changes are happening all the time that is why this has been actioned mid-season. It has been decided that it would be easier for all marshals to have one contact for the whole championship. We will then liase with circuit chief marshals so that they also only have one person to contact. It is hoped that for the start of next season we will issue one availability form for the whole championship and that way people can let us know which rounds they can attend in advance.

In motorsport, as in life we live and learn. I certainly have learnt a lesson from this forum and am surprised by the lack of friendliness and encouragement for someone trying to attract and maintain marshals within motorsport/rallycross. Maybe I was being naive but I really did not think it would be this opposed, I figured people pulled on their oranges for the love of the sport and making things easier for them may attract more to it therefore making the experience better for everyone.

I am very discouraged from using this forum within my role as Marshal Co-ordinator if it is to be so badly received.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2744451)   #4
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo28 View Post
In Maybe I was being naive but I really did not think it would be this opposed,

I am very discouraged from using this forum within my role as Marshal Co-ordinator if it is to be so badly received.

I'm not opposing the idea, just getting clarification as you have now provided.

I think 99% of marshals on this forum use Julian's site so that might be a good place to put dates on and for marshal to make themselves available through. As for marshals not on ten tenths, I have no idea how you would contact/recrute them unless you put links to it on other rally cross related sites.

Just trying to be proactive.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 14 Aug 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2744490)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a natural reaction of being slightly suspicious over unclear announcements, Donna. Just imagine if you'd stood up at the back of the marshals' briefing and made the announcement you made here? The second post makes things much clearer. Don't forget, many of us are aware that there have been difficulties within the structure of rallycross, so a hint that something similar might have been happening with marshalling of same was a bit worrying.

I didn't remove your first post, but it contained a link to a facebook page which made it appear as if the intention was website promotion which is specifically prohibited not just here, but on many forums. Again, imagine going to Silverstone and adding to your original announcement 'and there's a much better meeting at Mallory if you'd like to come with me...'

Anyway, that's all cleared up and I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Your intention of recruiting marshals for the discipline, not just the venues seems sensible and I wish you luck with it. I'd agree with Stack that including a volunteering form on Julian's site would be a very good step.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2744491)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ten-Tenths is, and always had been, very "pro" marshal.

Ten-Tenths is owned by a couple of marshals, we also have the "Marshals Needed" sub-forum which is a calendar where clubs/organisers/CMs can put their events. The upcoming dates for the next month are shown on the front page of Tenths. In July there were over 110,000 page views in the marshals forum, 95% of which were from the UK. A read of the forum for any length of time would show both the site's commitment to marshals and the users commitment to marshaling.

As for not knowing about Tenths despide 14 years marshaling, I do find that rather unusual, as it's been rare that I've been on a post where nobody has heard of us. Indeed on a Google search for "Marshals Forum" we're generally top of the results.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2744501)   #7
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
As for not knowing about Tenths despide 14 years marshaling, I do find that rather unusual, as it's been rare that I've been on a post where nobody has heard of us. Indeed on a Google search for "Marshals Forum" we're generally top of the results.
Dodo28 (Donna) said of a combined 14 years marshalling, where i have been donning the oranges for just over 10 years and my wife has been doing so for about 4 years.
Donna has always been 'tagging along' with me to events, so she has had no need to come on here until recently. I, however have been a member for a while!

Oh and before i forget, Welcome to Ten Tenths Dodo28!
Old 14 Aug 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2744592)   #8
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to 10/10ths too Dodo28

Donna and Chris are big supporters of Rallycross and particularly marshalling - especially as they met at a Rallycross meeting - all together now awwwwwwwww.

No doubt she will be bending my ear as one of the clerks for the Rallycross!!!!

Andy Stevens
Old 15 Aug 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2744746)   #9
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
I have updated the 10-10ths calendar for the three remaining rounds of the championship!
Old 15 Aug 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2744892)   #10
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't make any of those dates due to existing commitments but do welcome an improvement in volunteering to marshal at Rally cross.
In the past (with the exception of Mallory and Croft and have yet to go to Lydden ) I have often found it difficult to find out who to contact. I'll PM my contact details ready for next years availability list
Old 16 Aug 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2745056)   #11
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm94wrx View Post
I can't make any of those dates due to existing commitments but do welcome an improvement in volunteering to marshal at Rally cross.
In the past (with the exception of Mallory and Croft and have yet to go to Lydden ) I have often found it difficult to find out who to contact. I'll PM my contact details ready for next years availability list
Things are steadily improving!

Thank you for your support!

Chris
Old 16 Aug 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2745097)   #12
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Cross marshalling is what i am thinking of doing next year because tbh i am getting a bit bored of "normal racing" and need a change of scenery atm i am getting very bored on post and looking to do something different next year
Old 16 Aug 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2745106)   #13
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best of luck both of you - can't promise to get out to many more events this year, but get next years dates out early and I'll see what I can do
Old 16 Aug 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2745162)   #14
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment I will continue to include the Mallory one's on my normal form. Obviously if the Rallycross fraternity decide they do not want this done then I will delete it.

This way people still have the choice to volunteer for all the rallycross meetings or if you only do Mallory you can use my form for all the Mallory racing dates as normal.

Regards

Fay
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2745174)   #15
Dodo28
Rookie

Thanks Fay,

Yes I believe for now if you keep the rallycross dates on your availability form that will keep all areas covered. The new system will evolve in time and hopefully any current confusion will disolve.

Regards Donna
Old 16 Aug 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2745499)   #16
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had an email from Mallory saying that the September meeting is relocated to Blyton.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2745783)   #17
Dodo28
Rookie

I will update once I have been told by the powers that be! Thanks for the heads up though Dave.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2745850)   #18
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now confirmed, moving the round to Blyton.
http://www.rallycrossuk.com/news_vie...ted.php?id=206
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2745930)   #19
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green View Post
Now confirmed, moving the round to Blyton.
http://www.rallycrossuk.com/news_vie...ted.php?id=206
Thanks for that Alan.

The marshals needed section has been updated accordingly.

Chris
Old 17 Aug 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2745947)   #20
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spy a conspiracy!

You two start this new role and within a week it's been moved onto your doorstep

Cheers, David & Chrissy
Old 17 Aug 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2745978)   #21
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
I spy a conspiracy!

You two start this new role and within a week it's been moved onto your doorstep

Cheers, David & Chrissy
I haven't got a clue what you are talking about!

Chris

P.S. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!