Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:57 (Ref:421448)   #1
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three CART guys in F-1 now

If DaMatta runs in F-1 there will be three past CART champs in the currently stuck up series.

These guys are used to the fans being able to communicate with them.
Perhaps the more guys that go to F-1 from CART the better F-1 will be.

How many IRL champs have gone to F-1?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:45 (Ref:421539)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Three CART guys in F-1 now

Quote:
Originally posted by Joey Jo Jo
These guys are used to the fans being able to communicate with them.
Perhaps the more guys that go to F-1 from CART the better F-1 will be.
I've heard JPM talk about the difference in paddocks, and he's been quoted as saying it's easier for him to do his job in F1 because there's no distraction of having to inadvertently run into someone who had paid JPM to race (i.e. the fan). So it may be that the cloistered existence is more corrupting than the open attitude cultivated in CART can handle.

OTOH, that was in an F1 publication, so it may have just been a partial quote to bolster F1 in the eyes of the reader. "Oh, they're so much more professional in F1!"
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Nov 2002, 22:29 (Ref:421764)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goes to show how much talent is in the CART field.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 01:15 (Ref:421873)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM was one of the most fan-unfriendly drivers in the Cart. He hated the fans, and frequently let them know it. As much as I appreciate his positive statements towards Cart, after witnessing his behaviour in the Cart paddock two years in a row I can't support him as a driver.

OTOH, you have guys like Zanardi who hated F1 because of the lack of contact with the fans...so it goes both ways.

Last edited by Jay; 5 Nov 2002 at 01:16.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Nov 2002, 06:14 (Ref:421952)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jay's right about Montoya. I remember frustrated fans at Belle Isle yelling that he's perfect F1 material. Villeneuve was much the same way.

Last edited by macdaddy; 5 Nov 2002 at 06:14.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 06:42 (Ref:421956)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But JPM and JV were/are F1 guys through and through, they just happened to be in CART.

I've never been fortunate to go to a CART race, but the guys who are there today appear to be perfect for the series - they all get along, leave what happens on the track where it should be and are completely fan-friendly.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 12:04 (Ref:422102)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very true, OzDude. And Jacques was a snob even in the lower formulae unless you got him clear away from the racing scene.

Today in Invisible Country there's a roundy rounder weeping into his Cheerios because his boss promised him an F1 seat and now he sees that his boss was lying ... and while he will be staying at the Holiday Inn in Kansas, other people whose loyalty was not to their wallets are dining in Monaco.

Hurrah for Cristiano!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 14:07 (Ref:422173)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's all the criticism for Christiano's two faced comments? He signed almost 2 months ago, and just at Surfer's he was saying how it was such a difficult decision and he was still deciding
Old 5 Nov 2002, 15:22 (Ref:422203)   #9
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Where's all the criticism for Christiano's two faced comments? He signed almost 2 months ago, and just at Surfer's he was saying how it was such a difficult decision and he was still deciding
Perhaps it was the only way he could think to keep the media interested in him until Toyota went ahead with the announcement.

McNish isn't driving the #1 car next year is he?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 15:26 (Ref:422207)   #10
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because we are used to the fact that if you win, you go to F1.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:422222)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, while he may have signed, it doesn't mean the deal is done. The determinant in this would be securing the release from Newman-Haas. Obviously Carl and Paul have settled on compensation from Toyota, now.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Nov 2002, 17:18 (Ref:422289)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that is in fact what Cris said -- that there were "details to be decided" which most people took to mean that it was the compensation details (or players to be named later) that were in negotiation.