Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2575953)   #1
GlenF
Racer

United Kingdom
GlenF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre limits at Combe 2010

Thought i'd start this off as a discussion.

I am lead to bealeave that next year we will have a maximum of 4 sets of Acb10s at Combe. Unsure how this will be policed? Any thoughts or can anyone confirm?
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2575963)   #2
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will probably be policed by submitting the serial numbers of your 16 allocated tyres as and when you purchase. More than 16 serial numbers used during the year and bob's your uncle.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2575968)   #3
GlenF
Racer

United Kingdom
Do you think there would be extra tyres allowed for punctures? And if so do you think we'll start seeing alot of punctures in 2010?
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2575969)   #4
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is a good idea. F4 are limiting tyres to 3 sets per season as well.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2576178)   #5
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only prob with tyre limits is that you need to have totally seperate tyres and rims if you are to race away from your given championship (same goes if you are testing). In Zetecs - everyone ended up buying/storing loads of tyres/rim marked for each championship/testing etc.. Obv in FF1600 rims are relatively cheap - F4 rims are £250 each!!

Whilst you have to applaud measures to cut costs - I am not sure this works in practice. Getting a sensibly priced tyre and having no tyre rules is surely a better option...
Old 5 Nov 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2576202)   #6
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I notice that Duratecs are swithching to Dunlop radials for next season. Wonder how much they cost?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2576236)   #7
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad View Post
I notice that Duratecs are swithching to Dunlop radials for next season. Wonder how much they cost?

Put f1600 back on them

or get Acb 10 price down
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2576245)   #8
kartingdad
Veteran

Switching won't happen. It would involve the dreaded 'change' word that everyone is scared stiff of.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2576254)   #9
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't run FF1600 on radials!

It's very strange to alter the Duratec's to radials as well.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2576291)   #10
kartingdad
Veteran

I wonder if it is anything to do with making Duratecs more attractive against the likes of Renaults/BMW and moving on to F3.

i was talking to the chief Duratec scrutineer at the weekend and he tells me that duratecs are going to a sequential box in 2011. Additionally, the manufacturers are going to have to use a standard (eg interchangeable from car to car) front crash box and cockpit protection modules.

But I am going off topic here, sorry.

Oh yes, wonder how Combe are going to deal with one off interlopers to their races as we were planning doing some next year.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2576324)   #11
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think it is about time common sense prevailed in motor sport and tyre limits came into force
with bar coding it will be easy task to note tyre at point of sale and scrutineering
regular racers will be listed and "visitors" can race with bar coded tyres as data will be on file for date of purchase and would you buy set new tyres for yr 3 visits that year?
Ok you may do just that race 3 times with new rubber what what do you proove? its like cheating in yr A levels
If you can only beat the local aces on new rubber when they are are meeting 2 or 4 on theirs Sir Frank will not be calling yr cell phone to offer the test team contract!

It will sort itself out with common sense and natural selection or maybe CC will say race but yr ineligble for points unless u can leave yr rims tyres in a parce ferme scenario at the track?

I think we will soon reach a stage where tyre supplier can suggest a number of meetings tyres are good for with bar code scanning and the internet racers can buy tyres race anywhere and teh individual meeting clib can scan tyres go on line and know where the tyres have been
hells bells if the plod can track yr car on the road with scanner and know yr tax insurance MOT registered driver info why cant tyres racers clubs have similar concept
I am sure a smart ass at TSL MST or race school college student will create a programme

John
why cant FF1600 run on radials?
i dont think it is in the EU constituation forbidding it
If you have to make a new bracket and test twice to re set the car suspension well it aint gonna hurt

flat broke
as for changing from acb10 to dunlops we had a thread on that and dunlop where chasing me to do the testing but the great unwashed did not stand up and be counted as it was so stressful to alter their cars to run different rubber it never happened so for now we will be bent over the crash barrier and rogered senseelss by the current supplier on price and quality/performance
Old 5 Nov 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2576391)   #12
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh yes, wonder how Combe are going to deal with one off interlopers to their races as we were planning doing some next year.
Like driftwood said - I imagine one-offs will get a "free pass" or won't get championship points, either/or.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2576550)   #13
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just one question Andy.
How can "a one off interloper" do "some" of Combe's 2010 rounds?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2576555)   #14
kartingdad
Veteran

Stuart would do a meeting, I would do a meeting, Ian would do a meeting, Peter would do a meeting. I was talking from a teams point of view rather than an individual drivers perspective.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2576597)   #15
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't a 'one off interloper' race at Combe? There is nothing to stop a person doing the first race of the season, on new tyres, claiming that he will do all races in the champinship - then not turning up to another race. This is no different to someone coming along mid season on new tyres and doing one race. What is the problem here?

Why can't FF1600 change to dunlop? I'm sure they could but it would certainly require a number of changes to car wishbones etc. to allow for the extra camber that would be necessary. This would then require an amount of set up work and testing to find optimum settings. Ultimately, if the tyres are significantly cheaper than ACB10's then this may be worthwhile - but as CHANGE seems to be a rude word in FF1600 I can't see it happening. Afterall, there are still a number of people who think the performance disparity, unreliabilty and frequency and cost of rebuilds of the kent engine is not worth changing so why on earth would any of them want to embrace a change of tyre which is much more marginal in its potential benefit/cost saving to the competitor?

Finally - Jeremy is right. In club Zetecs we actually ended up spending more money when the tyre limit was introduced. Not only on having extra sets of rims so we could use different tyres for testing from those we raced on but we also ended up buying two new tyres every meeting just so that we had them registered should we need them. Having a tyre restriction to save money is sensible - but it is not as simple as it first may seem. The rules need to be thought about a little I think!
Old 6 Nov 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2577285)   #16
trwracing
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
trwracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea. Im thinking of entering in 2011 and this will certainly help with budgeting for the season. Hopefully the 'new' Kent engine business will be sorted by then and I can get racing.

Couple of questions:

How much are a set of rims for FF1600 right now?
How much for a set of ACB10's? (best price i have found is £530/set)

Thanks all!
Old 6 Nov 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2577323)   #17
GlenF
Racer

United Kingdom
Hi,
Ed Moore (At Combe) distributes Rims (think they are about £65 each) Set of Acb10 s are about £437 fitted at the track.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2577330)   #18
driftwood
Veteran

2011 to race? whats wrong with next season
Old 7 Nov 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2577486)   #19
trwracing
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
2011 to race? whats wrong with next season
Lots of expensive things coming up, new house, getting married so its 2011 at the earliest!
Old 7 Nov 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2577568)   #20
driftwood
Veteran

Ouch!!
why not put off wedding till 2012 get the racing done then you can say " ive done that"
will be harder to get racing once married other pressures come along all those sundays visiting relatives/ in laws for lunch all those puddings adding to your waste line will cost you 1- 2 seconds a lap
Old 7 Nov 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2577589)   #21
funformula
Racer

Germany
funformula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Ouch!!
why not put off wedding till 2012 get the racing done then you can say " ive done that"
will be harder to get racing once married other pressures come along all those sundays visiting relatives/ in laws for lunch all those puddings adding to your waste line will cost you 1- 2 seconds a lap
Thats exactly what happened to me. Since i´ve been married I didn´t drove a single lap with my racecars. It´s even a challenge to go out to the workshop, cleaning the cars. But I don´t give up dreaming of my comeback on the track....
Old 7 Nov 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2577731)   #22
trwracing
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
I think if I put it off till 2012 life wouldnt be worth living, she tells me that she has been waiting for 9 years and wont wait any longer!

Either way Im determined to get back into it, might spend 2010 helping out on a few teams to learn the ropes with a view to entering in 2011. I have been fortunate in the past to do a fair amount of racing but have been lucky enough not to have to work on the car.

Brands is my nearest circuit right now so if anyone needs a hand prepping or at the track then please PM me.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2577742)   #23
driftwood
Veteran

she tells me that she has been waiting for 9 years and wont wait any longer! 1 more year would not hurt then! another option for you is i have 88 VD to hire plan to get out in CoB events would that be a compromise for you?
Old 7 Nov 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2577797)   #24
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
FranksWilde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting married isn't that detrimental. It's having a couple of kids that's the real killer!
Old 7 Nov 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2577827)   #25
trwracing
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Kids? Lets not go there!

driftwood - would be interested to see what you are charging but TBH I am determined to buy and run a car myself. Like I said if you need a hand at Brands then please let me know.